Kimmage speaks out

13»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tusher wrote:
    You rarely hear an elderly/frail patient with a fractured neck of femur (which may well lead to complications which will cure them) saying "I'm going to fight this". How often do relatives tell someone with pneumonia to "Fight this"?

There was a good Paxman interview with Christopher Hitchens recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0

4:45 in is a relevant part.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Why has Armstrong not sued Kimmage Yet ? - Remember this is the guy who told Simeoni that he has enough money and power to ruin him. - So whats the "Texan Messiah" afraid of ?? Think it speaks for itself eh.

Cue the trek riding US Postal brown nose fanboys to react and save the "Myth"
  • iainf72
    Tusher wrote:
    There's the charity side of Livestrong, and I don't doubt that it's done a lot of good for many thousands, but there's also the .org branch.

The .org is the charity. The .com is the for-profit.

Curiously enough ,the for-profit site hosts all the Shack related content.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Why has Armstrong not sued Kimmage Yet ? - Remember this is the guy who told Simeoni that he has enough money and power to ruin him. - So whats the "Texan Messiah" afraid of ?? Think it speaks for itself eh.

So here's two guys who think of each other as the lowest of the low(apparently or so you say or they want us to believe or whatever) yet neither of them seems capable of "destroying" the other. Which is, of course, what you want to see and read about for whatever reason. So why haven't they pulled out all the stops and told "all they know" or
    "used every lawyer at their command". Could it be that YOU have, in your mind, made more out of all this than there actually is??? I think so. Could it be simply a couple of guys that have issues with each other? For instance, like normal people do. Opps, sorry that I
    called them normal people. I know you hinge on every word either of them say. FWIW this is not a movie about super cop vs super bad guy(for lack of a better way of putting it). It's just a couple of people, not an action flick.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    My problem with what may be characterised as the 'Armstrong/Livestrong approach' to cancer is, what do you say to the relatives/friends of the deceased? Were they not sufficiently special? had they not fought sufficiently? I have a friend who has battled her way through chemotherapy and is about to start radiotherapy, what do you say to her sister should the worst happens?

A good reason to stay 'positive' when you are ill, is that no-one likes to visit a miseryguts. If you want company, which breaks the monotony, appear pleased to see whoever :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dennisn wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

So here's two guys who think of each other as the lowest of the low(apparently or so you say or they want us to believe or whatever) yet neither of them seems capable of "destroying" the other. Which is, of course, what you want to see and read about for whatever reason. So why haven't they pulled out all the stops and told "all they know" or
    "used every lawyer at their command". Could it be that YOU have, in your mind, made more out of all this than there actually is??? I think so. Could it be simply a couple of guys that have issues with each other? For instance, like normal people do. Opps, sorry that I
    called them normal people. I know you hinge on every word either of them say. FWIW this is not a movie about super cop vs super bad guy(for lack of a better way of putting it). It's just a couple of people, not an action flick.

You're in love with Lance. You're in love with Lance. Nuh nuh nee nuh nuh.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dennisn
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

You're in love with Lance. You're in love with Lance. Nuh nuh nee nuh nuh.

:lol::lol::lol: Good one, but you've got to admit that their seem to be more than a few people on this forum seeming to hope for lots of gunfire, explosions, car crashes, super heros, and maniacal bad guys to all come together in a final scene. They are going to be disappointed when all that ever happens between these two will be a sort of "much ado about nothing", or less than nothing.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Armstrong has sued only once for libel I think and then he won on a technicality that became a bit of a test case for lawyers in the field. For all the talk of him employing lawyers, they are as quick to back down as they are to threaten people. The last thing he wants is a day in court, to be grilled in public and under oath.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    Armstrong has sued only once for libel I think and then he won on a technicality that became a bit of a test case for lawyers in the field. For all the talk of him employing lawyers, they are as quick to back down as they are to threaten people. The last thing he wants is a day in court, to be grilled in public and under oath.

Kind of weird in that both of them seem to be on a collision course that I'm sure neither wants. Why would they? To what end? I don't see it improving either's lot in life.
    The words "move on" or "get over it" come to mind. Then again what do I know?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    As a "cancer survivor" (yuck!) I was interested in Kimmage's comments. FWIW, I agree with him that there is a lot of luck involved. It's luck if you get it or not, it's luck which kind you do get, it's often luck whether it's spotted and treated early enough. As I understand it, Armstrong's cancer (and my own) were well advanced before detection; this makes our recovery more lucky. However, I would also agree that there is an element of mental attitude involved. That's not to say that people who die of cancer didn't want to live enough or had a poor attitude, as with many things it's a combination of factors. It's hard to sta positive in the face of a negative diagnosis. Several doctors I spoke to had anecdotal stories of positive attitude having positive effects however....

I wear a Livestrong band, but not because LA's survival gives me hope. My survival gives me hope, and the band is a reminder.

I hope that Kimmage is wrong, but I suspect he has a point about LA....

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

Kind of weird in that both of them seem to be on a collision course that I'm sure neither wants. Why would they? To what end? I don't see it improving either's lot in life.

Lets say Kimmage is right. Armstrong sued the paper he works at for libel a few years ago, won and because of it the paper had to pay his costs and publish an apology. But what if that was a big lie? Do you not think perhaps people may have the right to feel a bit annoyed?

I see LA has toned down the "the doping in cycling is overplayed" card he used to play in the past at his press conf in Oz...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited January 2011
    dennisn wrote:
    Given aspects like the truth, people's honour, perjury and a truckload of money are at stake here, it's going to be hard just to "move on", no?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    pottssteve wrote:
    As a "cancer survivor" (yuck!) I was interested in Kimmage's comments. FWIW, I agree with him that there is a lot of luck involved. It's luck if you get it or not, it's luck which kind you do get, it's often luck whether it's spotted and treated early enough. As I understand it, Armstrong's cancer (and my own) were well advanced before detection; this makes our recovery more lucky. However, I would also agree that there is an element of mental attitude involved. That's not to say that people who die of cancer didn't want to live enough or had a poor attitude, as with many things it's a combination of factors. It's hard to sta positive in the face of a negative diagnosis. Several doctors I spoke to had anecdotal stories of positive attitude having positive effects however....

I wear a Livestrong band, but not because LA's survival gives me hope. My survival gives me hope, and the band is a reminder.

I hope that Kimmage is wrong, but I suspect he has a point about LA....

Steve

Respect! :!:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    You rarely hear an elderly/frail patient with a fractured neck of femur (which may well lead to complications which will cure them) saying "I'm going to fight this". How often do relatives tell someone with pneumonia to "Fight this"?

more of a hero to me than any cyclist, it's very unlikely but hope he beats the cancer or at least doen't suffer to much :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Lets say Kimmage is right. Armstrong sued the paper he works at for libel a few years ago, won and because of it the paper had to pay his costs and publish an apology. But what if that was a big lie? Do you not think perhaps people may have the right to feel a bit annoyed?

I was thinking more on the lines of it's time for LA and Kimmage to "get over it" and forget this b*tch slapping contest and whatever hissy fits they are having with each other.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

I was thinking more on the lines of it's time for LA and Kimmage to "get over it" and forget this b*tch slapping contest and whatever hissy fits they are having with each other.

Did you read what I said?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Iain, you never cease to amaze me. How on earth to find the time? Do you never sleep?

I am hugely grateful for the link- having always 'favoured?' his brother Peter (for obvious ecclesiastical reasons), I was frozen in concentration for the entire length of the clip (and subsequent clips). Christopher came over as eloquent, poised, brave and honest. I respect that, and wish him well. Thankyou.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Tusher wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Iain, you never cease to amaze me. How on earth to find the time? Do you never sleep?

I am hugely grateful for the link- having always 'favoured?' his brother Peter (for obvious ecclesiastical reasons), I was frozen in concentration for the entire length of the clip (and subsequent clips). Christopher came over as eloquent, poised, brave and honest. I respect that, and wish him well. Thankyou.

You're in love with Iain. You're in love with Iain. Nuh nuh nee nuh nuh.

... actually, I think I'm lost. Can someone direct me to 'The Thread of Mild Insults' please? :?

@ratsbey
  • Tusher
    here you are...........http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12751144

I'll be along in a minute with a nice cup of tea and a slice of Victoria sponge.
    And some homemade tablet.
  • Tusher
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12751144

and if at first you don't succeed, try again.
  • ratsbeyfus
    How did you make the writing go blue? Are you some kind of dervish? A banshee? A she devil? My mouse pointer does funny things when it goes near your 'blue-devil-script'.

Shudder.

@ratsbey
  • Tusher
    Why, I am proud to be all of the above, Master Ratsbeyfus.
  • ratsbeyfus
    How did you work out my name? You really are a mystic meg! Dervish! Bee-elzebubb. BTW, where's my cake?

Nurse! Nurse... NURSE! WHERE'S MY CAKE?

@ratsbey
  • Tusher
    Here it is, Master Ratseybus.

Along with your Chlorpromazine sandwich.

Gobble them all up, now. Lights out at 10:30.
  • Here is this Netherlands video at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxagXaAy1M if no one else mentioned it already.
  • Let's not forget, Australia is where Michael Ashenden is, I referenced this already, big opponent and really said better, more like along with Kimmage, a Nemesis, of LA.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... ong-1.html

But I'm just watching the show, what influence would I ever be able to have on the outcome anyway?? Many of us have been through this for years, at least since '04 that a lot of this now anti climactic.
  • From Reuters and posted in many news outlets - e.g.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... Under.html

Slightly un-nerving was
    http://www.blnz.com/news/2010/11/25/Arm ... _8ae3.html

Particularly "There's a "Support for Lance" website that urges followers to be there for the "international hero" at a time when he needs it most.

"There are fans, such as those who expressed disapproval of the ongoing probe on the AP's Facebook page when it posted a story that U.S. investigators were working with French anti-doping authorities to collect evidence. Many of their comments were complaints about the government wasting its money when the economy was bad and unemployment high.

"And Armstrong has even more-impressive friends in government. Earlier this month, he tweeted a thank you to George H.W. and Barbara Bush for their support. He has worked with the foundation run by former President Bill Clinton."

Which is a bit worrying even when one remembers Bill (prove what that stain is) Clinton inviting superstar Michelle Smith-de Bruin, with 3 golds and a bronze in her pocket, to the White House and commiserating with her about the drugs allegations and "all that media crap".

I seem to remember at the time that Alyson Wagner (the girl from the States who gained a sliver behind Michelle) had a slightly different perspective on the interest shown by the media. I don't think she thought Pres. Bill was looking after her interests 100%. Sour loser.

I see from Wiki that de Bruin is now a barrister and has published her first book, Transnational Litigation: Jurisdiction and Procedure. Glad to see she now has a career devoted to fighting for justice or is that me with a crazy mixed up view of why one might enter the law as a career. Wiki - "Michelle has never admitted using illegal performance enhancing drugs" Way to go girl - you tell 'em. We believe you. Leave Lance alone. What a lot of hyp, just because hubby & coach Eric tested positive and was banned, doesn't mean you ever got near a pack of asprin does it. Like Marion and hubby C.J. - just so sad how these poor girls are so let down by their partners.

That story about RTE not backing down about wanting to talk to her about her career as a swimmer and then she pulled out of the show, puts into perspective the weak showing of the BBC with Marion Jones. (Gabby and team - part of the problem or the solution ?)

These people are very, very , very, very sorry they were caught and regret being caught a great deal. I have no doubt Lance is not losing any sleep. Who the hell is Kimmage and where is Jeff going to get the evidence to show he has not been wasting the tax-payer's money. He can slink back into his office. Lance did not sign any counterfeit cheques. He did not need to. Livestrong.com meant he had loads of money of his own anyway. Where's my pillow ?

How I hope I am wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There's always going to be a lot of pressure on a case like this.

It may well be a big fraud, but that fraud probably pays a large amount to charity and other good deeds.

If you pull the rug from under it, the pressure won't just come from people on the US postal team '99-04. It'll also be the benefactors of the charity work that that doping helped create, and any one else (politicians perhaps?) who have been of the receiving end of Armstrong's fortune.

Ultimately, as fans of the sport, we, or at least, many, object to the undermining nature of Armstrong's doping, and him getting away with it.

However, Armstrong exists in a world beyond cycling, that his exploits in cycling have supported. That, will probably weigh more, especially in a country where interest in cycling as a spectator sport is minimal.