Kimmage speaks out

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited January 2011 in Pro race
How refreshing to see someone say what they think. Link to tv programme from the Netherlands

http://nos.nl/video/210777-lance-armstrong-gebruikte-doping.html

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Say it how it is Paul!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Strong words! What was once the stuff of forum chatter is now mainstream.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Kléber wrote:

I'd imagine the libel laws in the UK prevent him from saying that over here.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:

The word is he's got a 2 page spread appearing in the Times soon.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • This is one bitter man.BORING!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Did we ever find out what happened with the "Sky embedding" - all went mysteriously quiet on that front. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding over levels of access, though always has to be remembered that Kimmage remains under the yoke of Murdoch ...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Kléber wrote:

I think for that to be the case Mr Armstrong would have to prove it was libel, there lies the problem. IIRC i'm sure kimmage has already put his words into a Times article and given that britain is a place of choice for libel actions and Mr Armstrong hasn't taken him to court that speaks for itself.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • iainf72
    For everyone who is wondering, yes, Rick Chasey sounds exactly like the voice over man on the video.
  • iainf72
    Did we ever find out what happened with the "Sky embedding" - all went mysteriously quiet on that front. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding over levels of access, though always has to be remembered that Kimmage remains under the yoke of Murdoch ...

I gather the team didn't understand what "embedding" meant. I don't think there is anything sinister in it, but we're talking about a team that thought putting the riders behind screens when they were warming up was a good idea - I expect the thought of having a journo there all the time didn't fit with the feng shui or whatever they were trying to achieve.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    What was strange about the (fake/hyped by the forum?) hoo-ha was he'd spent a load of time with them (Wiggins) in the Pyrenees so Sky must have had some idea of what access he wanted. Anyway Kimmage seemed to move on over it without any public complaint and maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the Sunday Times thing - not as if he's backward when coming forward when he has something to say.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Really eye opening and quite patently straightforward speaking from Paul Kimmage. Sorry to say that the case appears to be gathering momentum.

What fascinates me is the point at which these athletes suddenly decide 'the game's up - I better fess up' is incredibly late on and preceded by months or years of the most amazing denials (Landis, Marion Jones to name just the ones in that clip).

I think they end up feeling in such a hole that there is only one course of action - fight your way out and go on fighting (and these are top level athletes who don't know the meaning of 'give up').
  • jpb08
    jpb08 Posts: 20
    I cant see LA ever "fessing up".......Its too huge a lie, on many different levels.......I hope he does, but little or no chance, regardless of if he is found guilty or not IMO...
    Synapse SL Liquigas, Eddy Mercxx Flyer, Fondriest Evo Sat, Giant XTC, MKM Track. Merida Carbon team Multivan flx, Kinesis HT....
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Its almost like a piece of bait being dangled by Kimmage.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Wow, who's worse? Kimmage or Armstrong? The whole sport is not clean and I accepted that a long time ago and use pro cycling as fantasy to motivate me in my training, to see cool equipment ideas, to watch an exciting adrenaline sport, for the action, and the beautiful paysages they cycle through.

The sport is eating itself right now, but what's the payoff for us, the fans? Do I care if they're all clean? No. I'll still watch it. Kimmage needs to stop making a name for himself, but at the same time it would be good to bring Armstrong down a peg or two, he does seem a bit like the school-yard bully.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    This is one bitter man.BORING!

Yeah and you prob think tour riders in the past won on Bread & Water eh.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:

Yeah and you prob think tour riders in the past won on Bread & Water eh.

Not those who tested positive...

Remind me how many dope controls has Mr Armstrong failed?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

Same number as Dave Millar and Ivan Basso. And Jan Ullrich. Etc.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Old-Chestnut.jpg
    We all know doping controls rarely catch cheats. If it helps, think of them like a speed camera: you have a warning sign well in advance, the speed limit is made clear, the road has those white markings and the camera itself is painted fluo yellow. You have to be near-blind to get caught. Many people break the speed limit every day in the cars only they are not caught. Doping controls are similar, they tend to catch the stupid lone fool rather than the big name rider employing sophisticated methods.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    DaveyL wrote:

One more than them surely, or was the corto-steroid not an actual fail?

Strava is not Zen.
  • DaveyL wrote:

Well maybe we should wait for either an admission of guilt or a positive test if thats the case :roll:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Zzzzzz.....

Kimmage doesn't need to do this for the money or glory. He has nothing to gain by being so outspoken - he has already developed a good reputation for his journalism beyond cycling. It seems to me that he knows much more than he can say and he can't rest just knowing it, his conscience won't let him. I like that. There should be no sacred cows.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Sanctioned tests: None
    Unsanctioned tests: Six

(PS Calvjones - the cortosteroid one wasn't actually a failed test, it was way below the legal limit).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Is there anything new here, seems to me to be just more Kimmage venom being spat. Yes I enjoy it, but what's different about this piece?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    DaveyL wrote:

Well maybe we should wait for either an admission of guilt or a positive test if thats the case :roll:
    Ahh, killermetre, be patient, all will be revealed soon enough
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DaveyL wrote:

Ahh, killermetre, be patient, all will be revealed soon enough

By you???? :roll:
  • Good interview! is he baiting armstrong ? why has armstrong not sued him? is it not in Armstrong interest to do so? lovin it

hes a good writer that bloke and he right Armstron is a fraud, I dont care that he took drugs, i care that hes so influential he has enjoyed sporting advantage apparently provided by his celebrity over and above what is healthy.

best regards
    Barry
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    BarryBonds wrote:

I dont care that he took drugs, i care that hes so influential he has enjoyed sporting advantage apparently provided by his celebrity over and above what is healthy.

best regards
    Barry

You don't care if he took drugs, yet you are upset that "he has enjoyed sporting advantage", whatever that means, but you're worried that all this celebrity is not healthy for him, or you, or someone, or what?? :? :? :? Run that all by me again if you would please.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916

Bitter? About what exactly? I love the way anyone who challenges deceit and cheating etc in life gets branded a loony or has an axe to grind.

What a great TV programme refreshing and impactive.The last sentence from Paul Kimmage says it all.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

The word is he's got a 2 page spread appearing in the Times soon.

Shame it's behind a paywall...

And yes, that is what I sound like. I'm a little more shrill though...
  • The most alarming thing in that video was seeing Steve Tyler from Aerosmith working in a bikeshop!

(see 1min 54 secs)
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens