Standard practice to remove bell but what about reflectors?

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited January 2011 in MTB general
As soon as I got my bike I removed the bell BUT after a year I think I may have failed to follow the rules....
Just been looking at a big thread with your pictures and I realised that none of the bikes had wheel reflectors on.
Are these removed for functionality, looks or some other reason. What about rear and front reflectors? Do you fit them back on for riding on the road?

Comments

• They are useless, and are only fitted when new because of legislation when selling a bike.

No rules say you need them on the road. Removed because they look god awful!
  • They have no use, Get them off. Its so stupid that even a 5 grand down hill bike has to be sold with a bell! haha.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    what he said ^
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chojin
    chojin Posts: 67
    I kept my bell :)

It never fails to raise a smile with people out on the trails!
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • I got rid of all the reflectors on my bike, but have to keep lights for night riding, well getting home when its dark really after mtbing.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've taken my bell and reflectors off. However, there are a few times when the bell might be handy. There's times when my cycle buddies can't hear me, no matter how much I shout - yet they aren't that far ahead. It's difficult to hear behind you. Being the unfit one, I'm often behind - especially on the hills. But a few times they've missed tracks/directions as they can't hear me. I wonder if the sound of a bell might travel better.
    Anyway, I've just purchased hiking whistle which I'll attach to the straps on my Camelbak. Thought it might be handy for those occasions and a good safety device if you fell and injured yourself.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • I've got a little whistle built into my sternum strap on the hydration pack, so the bell is obselete
  • Why would you remove your bell? its a nice polite way of letter walkers know you are coming? 8)
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Because sometimes they fail to hear your bell, so I find a nice 'Excuse me' works the better
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I have a tiny bell that cost 99p from Wilkinsons , one of the most useful and best upgrades I have done.

Always makes me smile when I start ringing it when some slower rider is in front of me.
  • They are useless, and are only fitted when new because of legislation when selling a bike.

No rules say you need them on the road. Removed because they look god awful!

This!

First thing I do on any new bike is remove that crap
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Remove the plastic protector between the wheel and the cassette as well - it serves no useful purpose.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    omegas wrote:
    I have a tiny bell that cost 99p from Wilkinsons , one of the most useful and best upgrades I have done.

Always makes me smile when I start ringing it when some slower rider is in front of me.
    I'd tell you to f*ck off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I use my bell all the time, walkers can hear it from miles off and get out of my way well in advance. If I shouted excuse me every time I would have no voice.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cooldad
    Just as a matter of interest, why do the walkers have to get out of the way? If they don't will you kill them?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    cooldad wrote:
    omegas wrote:

I bet the last time you had to tell someone to f**k off was when someone passed you on a pink bike and it said Barbie on the side. :lol::lol::lol:
  • antfly
    cooldad wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, why do the walkers have to get out of the way? If they don't will you kill them?

It`s just good manners, if they don't get out of the way they might slow me down. All they have to do is take a step to the right...
  • cooldad
    omegas wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    omegas wrote:

I bet the last time you had to tell someone to f**k off was when someone passed you on a pink bike and it said Barbie on the side. :lol::lol::lol:

She's now in a ditch with her head on backwards.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

It`s just good manners, if they don't get out of the way they might slow me down. All they have to do is take a step to the right...

I agree, especially if you say excuse me, but if you don't slow down when passing walkers, if you are going that fast, you are an idiot. Kids, dogs, and walkers in general don't always do what you expect.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The law requires cyclists to have front and rear reflectors as well as amber pedal reflectors at all times when on the road. If you have an accident and your bike doesn't have them it may affect an insurance claim. It's been discussed on the road forum quite a bit this year.
    [/quote]
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • antfly
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I agree, especially if you say excuse me, but if you don't slow down when passing walkers, if you are going that fast, you are an idiot. Kids, dogs, and walkers in general don't always do what you expect.

They can't hear an excuse me until you are right behind them, with the bell they have plenty of time to get dogs under control and kids out of the way. I have only ever had complaints if I don't use the bell apart from one bloke but he was a Goth. In fact the woods I ride in have a sign up saying cyclists must have a bell. Obviously I have brakes if needed and some control over my bike. I haven't hit anyone yet.
  • cooldad
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They can't hear an excuse me until you are right behind them, with the bell they have plenty of time to get dogs under control and kids out of the way. I have only ever had complaints if I don't use the bell apart from one bloke but he was a Goth. In fact the woods I ride in have a sign up saying cyclists must have a bell. Obviously I have brakes if needed and some control over my bike. I haven't hit any one yet.
    Good for you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    unixnerd wrote:
    The law requires cyclists to have front and rear reflectors as well as amber pedal reflectors at all times when on the road. If you have an accident and your bike doesn't have them it may affect an insurance claim. It's been discussed on the road forum quite a bit this year.
    [/quote]

So is anyone using SPDs on the road then illegal and potentially uninsured . . . ? :?
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    SDK2007 wrote:
    Remove the plastic protector between the wheel and the cassette as well - it serves no useful purpose.

Having been half way around a ride, with admittedly not very well indexed gears (i was new at this point), switching down to the big cog and having the chain come off the cassette, wrap around the hub and lock my rear wheel solid giving me a 5 mile walk home carrying a bike, i decided that that bit of plastic can be handy, i left it on my new bike, just in case i become crap at maintaining my bike again.

However, reflectors are off, so is bell, but something tells me a bell is sensible for riding through town
  • antfly
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They can't hear an excuse me until you are right behind them, with the bell they have plenty of time to get dogs under control and kids out of the way. I have only ever had complaints if I don't use the bell apart from one bloke but he was a Goth. In fact the woods I ride in have a sign up saying cyclists must have a bell. Obviously I have brakes if needed and some control over my bike. I haven't hit any one yet.
    Good for you.

The word "some" is just me being modest but TBH i'd rather be an "idiot" than a pussy.
  • cooldad
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Good for you.

The word "some" is just me being modest but TBH i'd rather be an "idiot" than a pussy.

Slowing down for people is being a pussy? You brought up 'good manners'
    You are my new hero.
    super-hero.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The law states that all new bikes must be sold with either a bell, or a Hope Pro2 rear hub.

A hope Pro2 rear hub is better than any bell.

The other bits (reflectors, that bit between the freehub and spokes) would just fall off anyway.
  • cooldad
    Delta5 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

So is anyone using SPDs on the road then illegal and potentially uninsured . . . ? :?[/quote]

That's why new bikes fitted with them have those nasty plastic platforms, with reflectors.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Eyon wrote:
    SDK2007 wrote:

Having been half way around a ride, with admittedly not very well indexed gears (i was new at this point), switching down to the big cog and having the chain come off the cassette, wrap around the hub and lock my rear wheel solid giving me a 5 mile walk home carrying a bike, i decided that that bit of plastic can be handy, i left it on my new bike, just in case i become crap at maintaining my bike again.

However, reflectors are off, so is bell, but something tells me a bell is sensible for riding through town

I actually had the opposite problem, I was half way through a ride when the plastic disc came off and jammed in the spokes, had to cut it off with the knife on my multi-tool.
  • antfly
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Good for you.

You are my new hero.

Thanks, but all you need is a bell and a pair of these.
    Bollocks.jpg