Rucksack vs panniers

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That would be an option, but then I'm adding more and more weight (my panniers are lighter than a laptop compatable rucksack and now I'm adding spare clothes) I'm wearing short sleeved tech base layers as my top anyway (long sleeve are out), in fact one came from Empire Ashton.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • irezumi
    irezumi Posts: 142
    Thanks for all the replys, seems I'll give a go at chucking the Ortleibs back on for a while at least.

I am a 'mature' (:lol:) student (apparently) at university so often having to lug books about but my biggest problem is carrying enough food as I compete in sports and work on one of my commuting days as soon as I get home I'm off again.

My route takes me pretty much all along the south circular so with the few short but sharp hills which I sprint up I end up with a faily sweaty back even with my rucksack on (a Vaude air), although I do have showers available at the journeys end.

Thanks for all the input.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I use a messenger bag, it swivels if you are a restless cyclist and like getting out of the saddle a lot, but the majority of the time its fine. Panniers I think are much more helpful if you are a geologiest and pick up lots of rocks on the way in, but since i carry fairly little and commute just 5 miles or so this does me fine.
  • +1 for a carradice sadle bag. I use the 23ltr camper longflap on a bagman rack. It is one of the best bits of bike equipment I own.

It is more aero than panniers, and doesn't effect handling as much. IMO way better than rucksack or panniers and I have tried both.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:
    For the last few years I've been using a rucksack but I've just put panniers on my commuter/trainer. Just need need the ice and snow to melt now so I can try it out !
    First commute with pannier yesterday. No problems with manoeuvrability but was concious that I stuck out on one side and made sure I allowed for it. Definitely more comfortable than with a rucksack on my back.
    When I did the transfer of stuff from the rucksack to the pannier a bag I was amazed how much rubbish I was carrying. Actually considered not having a bag at all !
    Also first commute with a blue-tooth headset for the mobile. Also an improvement.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    iPete wrote:
    keefsloan wrote:
    I used to have panniers and rack on my Spesh Allez, but didn't like the handling (I do a 15 mile commute each way, 3 times a week).

eh? :twisted:

IMG_5898-PS.jpg

I bet your luggage gets covered in crap without any mudguards on your bike. It does look a little over loaded for what is essentially a road bike.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • have you considered a courier bag?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    dilemna, it was summer! It now has the rear guard back on. Yes it was nearly overloaded, didn't stop me getting over the Alps or back down at 50mph :twisted:

Thankfully I generally don't carry a tent to work so it was a one off problem... point was, the handling is ok with a rack on an Allez, you quickly adjust...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The other variable you missed is personal, I sweat, a LOT, in fact I sweat when I'm swimming, so although I can wear a backpack on a winters day and only get damp, in summer even after only 6.6miles I can almost ring my top out its that wet, putting that on again 8.5 hours later is not pleasent.

Simon

I think if I sweated that much I'd carry a second lightweight technical top (not cotton) and put the fresh one on for my trip home. You don't need to pay a fortune something like this http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-long-sleeve-cycle-t-shirt-mens-636112 would do OK.

I was wearing the short-sleeved version of this this afternoon.

This morning I wore ti with a montane featherlite velo top, which just kept the wind off my core. (It is long sleeved, but is so fine that the arms aren't too warm over short sleeves).
  • What bobbygloss said - I can't find a rucksack set up for commuting that doesn't leave my shoulders tense. On the MTB I do take rucksack on those occcasions when I commute on it, but on the general commuting BSO it's pannier all the way; generally light so no weight/balance probs.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    oceheb wrote:
    Used rucksac for 8 miles each way. In a cold weather it helps to preserver heat.
    Im using model with ventilation system, In the summer almost no sweat.

155381387full.jpg

What model of rucksac is this please?