Rucksack vs panniers

irezumi
irezumi Posts: 142
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
I'm sure this question has probably been asked before but I have the option to put my rack and panniers back on my main bike (commuting and training) or just conitnue to use my rucksack.

Apart from the sweatier back and slightly greater carrying capactiy what are the advantages/disadvantages of panniers against rucksacks?

I've only ever been touring with panniers on, never commuting, has anyone ever ripped one off by catching on a car/person/street furniture etc? Any positives and negatives for either side welcome. So I can perhaps make up my mind! :roll: If it makes any difference I commute 3 times a week around the south circular, about 16 miles each way.

Edit: Yes I realise I spelt rucksack wrong! :oops:

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Sixteen miles each way is a fair distance- I think I'd probably go for panniers at that.

I generally prefer a rucksack: it's less faff, the bike feels more manoeuvrable and the lower capacity restricts the temptation to carry more than you need.
    I have had issues with pannier mountings- it's worth getting good ones (mine weren't) for durability, security and weather resistance.

A smallish backpack is a bit more aero. It's easier to bunnyhop over potholes/debris and you don't have the weight of the rack itself. The bike feels lighter and more responsive, which is nice, even though the overall weight isn't actually that different!
    Panniers are more comfortable, especially over a distance and allow you to carry more (an advantage if you need to, a disadvantage if you don't... :-) ).

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
    W.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Would not consider using a rucksack again for commuting, I could never find one that didn't start to get on my nerves after a while.

Disadvantages of panniers are that the weight on the bike takes a bit of getting used to, they weigh more than just a rucksack and the serious roadies at work take the pee.

Other than that I think they're great.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Panniers for me: 12-miles each way.

My Vaude Aqua Pro panniers are pretty rugged - in 2-years heavy use they just have minor cosmetic scuffs. They are also very quick to clip on and remove.

The carrying capacity is significantly better than a rucsac, but in summer thelack of a sweaty back is the key benefit.

For equivalent weights, I find panniers far easier. I also tend to use panniers in preference to rucsacs when popping down to the shops (about a mile round trip), which might give you an idea as to how simple and these are to use.

It also means that my cycling jacket should last longer as there is no rucsac rubbing against it
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I voted panniers for your situation - 16 miles is a long way with a rucksack. My commute is a tad less than 5 miles each way so I just use a rucksack, but much more than that and I'd be going with panniers.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    the main thing is what you carry ... you didnt say that bit !
    If you need to carry laptop and loads of clothes (suit etc) Id go pannier, but if you only need one change of clothers, tools and pump...ok and maybe some light lunch id go for a small rucksack. Ive always used Camelbak...ok their expensive but take all I need (Octane 18) and they fit perfectly.
  • I'm a rucksack man myself. I use a 25 litre one, but get something decent and bike specific as the fit is a bit different to a normal rucksack. I got a Oakley Toolbox which is a decent capacity and it also doubles up as my hydration pack for mtbing.
  • The other option is a messenger bag... but I use a rucksack.

Almost unbearable with my two bike locks and laptop in, but I only have a 5.5 mile commute.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    can't submit a vote as I use a Carradice 11lt saddle bag; comfortably (more or less) takes all that I want including a change of shirt and doesn't affect the handling in the way that a set of panniers does.

Would not go back to a back pack on a day to day basis!
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    Used rucksac for 8 miles each way. In a cold weather it helps to preserver heat.
    Im using model with ventilation system, In the summer almost no sweat.

155381387full.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've done up to 40 miles on my commutes and all with a rucksack. It's fine - I'm rarely aware that I'm wearing it. The limitation is how much you need to put in it - if I am carrying much shopping, I'll try to take a shorter route home. But 16 miles isn't that far - it really depends more on how tough a 16 miles it is.

Ultimately, as you say, both rucksack and pannier have advantages and disadvantages and I doubt that any of our opinions are going to help. You'll just have to make a decision.

Messenger bag: avoid IMO. They are designed to be be quick to load and unload; great for messengering, not so good for commuting where you want something that just stays put - which is what a rucksack is designed for.

+1 for Oceheb comment above re lack of sweaty back with a vent system rucksack. They also mostly eliminate any potential back ache.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Proper cyclists don't cycle with a rucksack on their back. PEDS and NEDS on BSOs do. It is so uncool :wink: . Proper cyclists use panniers, bar bag or saddle bag. Think of your back.

Rucksacks are for hiking, walking, climbing and similar such activities.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • oceheb wrote:
    Used rucksac for 8 miles each way. In a cold weather it helps to preserver heat.
    Im using model with ventilation system, In the summer almost no sweat.

155381387full.jpg

What brand / model is that one? Looks good. My Dakine Apex is great but just too small if I need to take in a full change of clothes, gym / swim stuff, lunch etc....
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use a big Innov-8 belt-bag - but limited capacity for what a lot of you guys carry. I cheat and swap clothes/towel at work once a week by car because I need to go into town by car at least that often - even if it's just the supermarket family shop. If pressed, it'll take a shirt and underwear no problem. The main advantage is that I'm totally unaware of wearing it when riding.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Mines a 17 mile commute I started off with a rucksack I now use a pannier bag. I wouldnt go back to a rucksack now.

Of course it depends what your carrying as well tubes, tools,waterproofs,lunch and flask etc.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've ticked panniers, for the commute you describe anyway. I'd say for any sort of real distance where what you do with them when you're not on the bike isn't an issue then panniers every time.

If you need to do something when you've got to where you're going (into town for the evening, say) then rucksack/courier bags might be better, especially if it's not so far.
  • edb999
    edb999 Posts: 44
    Depends what you carry. I use a backpack, with a mesh bit that is stretched underneath so you don't get a sweaty/hot back. I only carry the usual keys/wallet/phone + shirt, trousers and lock though (puncture kit in little saddle bag). I leave shoes and jacket at the office, so bag is very light.
  • I use a pannier on the road bike and a rucksack on the MTB. I much prefer the pannier, my shoulders and back feel a lot more free, but having all the weight on one side takes a bit of getting used to.
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    What brand / model is that one? Looks good. My Dakine Apex is great but just too small if I need to take in a full change of clothes, gym / swim stuff, lunch etc....

Its Lafuma Droite 23. It looks than one can put loads in there, but actually space inside is limited by arched back of vent system.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    For the last few years I've been using a rucksack but I've just put panniers on my commuter/trainer. Just need need the ice and snow to melt now so I can try it out !
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    17 miles each way, started with a bag and moved to panniers, would never move back, so much so my MTB also has a rack now for ice days.
  • Unless I'm walking a long way when I get to where I'm leaving the bike it would be panniers for me. If I need to carry stuff at the other end I might take a rucksack, but I'd probably bungee it to my rack rather than get a sweaty back.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commute is only 6.6 miles, in that time when I was using a rucksack my back got sweaty enough that I had to hang my top over my chair to dry during the day, left in my drawer (no lockers) it was still wet 8.5hours later!

I carry a laptop, small tool kit, waterproof and packed lunch so I could never get all that in a rucksack anyway, I used to have my lunch on the rack.

I'm now using some really cheap and cheerful (and light) Panniers donated by my no longer occasionally touring in laws.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I used to have panniers and rack on my Spesh Allez, but didn't like the handling (I do a 15 mile commute each way, 3 times a week). Like others here, I like the bike to be as light as possible so I go with a rucksack. Spent a lot of time researching and went with a Deuter Race X Air pack, which is light and breathable. I don't take much with me though - waterproof jacket, waterproof gloves, wallet, phone, keys etc. (other techical kit is in a seat pack) so it's reasonably light. Everything else is already at the office - I take clothes in for the week on Monday and do a mid-week swap on Wednesday. Works for me and, as someone else has already mentioned, the smaller the pack the less excuse you have to taking too much with you.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    keefsloan wrote:
    I used to have panniers and rack on my Spesh Allez, but didn't like the handling (I do a 15 mile commute each way, 3 times a week).

eh? :twisted:

IMG_5898-PS.jpg
  • The Rookie
    That looks 'wheely' overladen!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    I have found paniers so much easier, i bought a set of Ortlieb ones (although only really use one) and much prefer it to the backpack which i found uncomfortable.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Just to buck the trend in the comments so far...

I have always commuted with a backpack (the same Camelbak Hawg I use when I'm MTBing). 14 miles each way if I go by the most direct route, but often 20m or more when I fancy a longer ride.

I generally carry 2 spare tubes, puncture kit, chain tool, sml pliers, spare chain links, a few other odd's and sods for bodging, mini-pump and the drink bladder with about 1l of water ... plus my lunch/snacks and a few items of clothing (although never a full change of clothes, shoes & towel as I can store things at work, & bring the bulky stuff on the days I drive).

Dunno how much it weighs, but has never felt cumbersome of uncomfortable.

Maybe it's because I'm used to wearing a backpack (25 years of hiking & MTBing), but I've never felt the need to try panniers. Maybe I'm generally not carrying enough gear to warrant them...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Bear in mind differences in riding style & conditions:

If you're riding a hybrid or CX type bike and covering a fair distance over mostly open roads/paths then it will often be the case that you load up the bike at home, set off for an hour or so in the saddle and then unpack at your destination.

If you run a light road bike, fixie or stripped-down MTB over a short or "broken" commute (by that I mean on & off a train, walking for sections or dealing with lots of urban hazards like parks, traffic lights, bike paths etc.) then you may find it handy to have all your gear on your back and the bike light & easy to pick up, bunnyhop mount/dismount and so on.

Panniers make the bike more awkward, though they can be more comfortable, as with other factors it's a trade-off and depends on your circumstances.

I've used panniers, messenger bags and backpacks. My current preference (as posted before) is for a backpack but when I did some full-distance commutes last year (~40 miles direct, home to work) I transferred my kit to a pannier for those runs. I went straight back to the backpack for mixed-mode commutes, though, it's much easier to get on & off the platform, up & down stairs and on & off a train with a bare bike & backpack.

Cheers,
    W.
  • The Rookie
    The other variable you missed is personal, I sweat, a LOT, in fact I sweat when I'm swimming, so although I can wear a backpack on a winters day and only get damp, in summer even after only 6.6miles I can almost ring my top out its that wet, putting that on again 8.5 hours later is not pleasent.

Simon
  • The other variable you missed is personal, I sweat, a LOT, in fact I sweat when I'm swimming, so although I can wear a backpack on a winters day and only get damp, in summer even after only 6.6miles I can almost ring my top out its that wet, putting that on again 8.5 hours later is not pleasent.

Simon

I think if I sweated that much I'd carry a second lightweight technical top (not cotton) and put the fresh one on for my trip home. You don't need to pay a fortune something like this http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-long-sleeve-cycle-t-shirt-mens-636112 would do OK.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem