RLJing for safety

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Just wondered what your thoughts were on it. I'm not quite back on the bike again after the accident, but plan to be very, very soon and I expect I'll be even more conscious of my personal safety than I was before.

Now, as I have sat there at the traffic lights in my car over the last few months I have watched cyclists routinely ride through red lights and have mentally tutted at their outrageous disregard for the law. Watching one guy yesterday, however, I couldn't help but think, you know what, he just did the safest possible manoeuvre. I've waited at this particular junction on my bike many times and it really does get a little tight as the lights turn to green. It goes straight onto a bend and the two lanes of traffic to the right can get quite aggressive in trying to position themselves for the next junction. The chap on his bike yesterday crept forwards through the red, he carefully looked to see that there was nothing coming and then he rode on, thus avoiding the scrum of traffic if he had waited for the lights to change.

I'm just starting to wonder if there might be occasions when it is actually wise to carefully RLJ and I may consider doing so myself in future.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Just wondered what your thoughts were on it.

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *digs a bunker; dons hard-helmet; orders popcorn*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • This has been touted before. To sum up, yes you should, no you shouldn't, yes you should, no you shouldn't.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    *digs a bunker; dons hard-helmet; orders popcorn*

sweet I hope, if so I brought a bean bag and beers (for me, guiness for you)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Yea! First RLJ thread of the year!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Too be fair to the OP it has been a while since we did this
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Drivers pay road tax, road tax pays for traffic lights, therefore only car drivers are allowed to use traffic lights!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    An old fashioned RLJ debate - by god it's been a while
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Every time you RLJ, God kills a kitten.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    edited January 2011
    I had a pitchfork somewhere around here....

...ah, here it is!

BURN HIM
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    eating_popcorn.gif
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The law currently says you should stop at red light. Therefor you should stop even if not the saftest option for you at the time. Doesn't mean the law is correct. Stop Give Way Go maybe appropriate in some circumstances, see below article with Boris' opinion a few years back which also higlights that being legally allowed to jump red light when turning left might cut down on HGV deaths.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... s-boris.do
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cyclists should pay road tax
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's perfectly safe if you're wearing a helmet.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Stop Give Way Go maybe appropriate in some circumstances

Agreed.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If you RLJ in the middle o' the sticks and no one is around to see it, is it still wrong?

As for the OP, yes it is wrong, what the cyclist did was bad and dangerous. if he got caught he'd deserve a fine.

Would I do it. I've been known to.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    Also, while it maybe safer in some circumstances to RLJ like in the OP, motorists who see this may then start ranting "bloody cyclists always jumping red lights" which may in turn translate over time to the road rage and assault incidents that we see often in CAM footage on youtube. So not safer for your fellow cyclists.

My opinion is that the law say stop, so you stop. If you disagree we live in a democracy so compaign for a change in the law.
    --
    Chris

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you RLJ in the middle o' the sticks and no one is around to see it, is it still wrong?

As for the OP, yes it is wrong, what the cyclist did was bad and dangerous. if he got caught he'd deserve a fine.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

As far as I can see he was only 'wrong' in as far as he broke the law, which, let's face it, we probably all do to a lesser or greater extent from time to time. As for what he did being 'dangerous', I think it was quite the opposite. The road he crossed illegally is very straight and very long and he had an excellent view of any oncoming traffic. If he had waited for the lights to turn green he would have been stuck among some pretty tightly packed traffic swinging round a bend. He took his time and rode sensibly, he did not just shoot out without looking. I will not argue with your fine point, though: you break the law, you get caught, you have to accept the consequenses - annoying though they may sometimes be.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Is it OK to RLJ whilst riding clipless?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

As far as I can see he was only 'wrong' in as far as he broke the law, which, let's face it, we probably all do to a lesser or greater extent from time to time. As for what he did being 'dangerous', I think it was quite the opposite. The road he crossed illegally is very straight and very long and he had an excellent view of any oncoming traffic. If he had waited for the lights to turn green he would have been stuck among some pretty tightly packed traffic swinging round a bend. He took his time and rode sensibly, he did not just shoot out without looking. I will not argue with your fine point, though: you break the law, you get caught, you have to accept the consequenses - annoying though they may sometimes be.

1). He broke the law and that's wrong.

1.5). There are those on this site who claim to have never broken the law (Sewingman, dilemma or mybreakfastconsisted)

2). By not obeying road traffic laws, i.e. going through a red light illegally he has become a danger to himself and others.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If he'd taken the lane would he still have been in a dangerous position?
    I can sort of see that he might be better off going through given the position that he's put himself in (I'm assuming he filtered to the front on the left?) but I don't see it's a justification for it really.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    1). He broke the law and that's wrong.

Sure, but there are degrees of 'wrong' where law breaking is concerned.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    2). By not obeying road traffic laws, i.e. going through a red light illegally he has become a danger to himself and others.

In the particular case I gave as an example I would have to disagree. The cyclist made a judgement that, on reflection, seemed pretty sensible to me.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Also, while it maybe safer in some circumstances to RLJ like in the OP, motorists who see this may then start ranting "bloody cyclists always jumping red lights" which may in turn translate over time to the road rage and assault incidents that we see often in CAM footage on youtube. So not safer for your fellow cyclists.

Hmm, that's some pretty extreme extrapolation going on there. Another alternative: he waits as he should, lights turn to green, irate driver is held up by cyclist, driver thinks, 'bloody cyclists; they're always getting in the way' which may, over time, lead him into taking stupid risks to pass cyclists just so that he can get that tiny bit further ahead on the road (like we also often see on YouTube clips).
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    gbsahne wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes of course it does - laws of physics still apply

Theory of evolution applies to RLJing - the stupid or careless won't survive to breed
  • I think I can safely say that I have never ever seen a single cyclist jump a red light that had been specifically installed to protect other road users from the dangers that cyclists represent. And while such lights might conceivably exist in places like Copenhagen or Amsterdam, I'm pretty sure that very few of us have ever seen anybody jump one.
  • sketchley
    Good point well made.

I'm just fed up with meeting new people telling them I cycle to work and how long / quick I do it in only to be greated almost without exceptions with "how many red lights do you jump". Also whenever I hear people being critcal of cycling first of second point out of the mouth is about RLJs. IMO the perception of most London Motorists are that cyclists all jump red lights and therefor are not entitlted to be critical of any one elses driving habits.
    --
    Chris

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Only people who ride Campagnolo, sorry, Campag, no, sorry, Campy, jump red lights.

Shimano and SRAM riders don't clearly. Unless they don't wear a helmet, which case, they might do.

Unless they ride schwalbe marathons obviously. Then they're bastards.

They're even more likely to RLJ if they don't fix inner tubes but just replace them. Obviously. Because RLJing isn't green, even if you have to use your breaks when you don't RLJ.

If you believe in that.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sketchley wrote:
    Good point well made.

I'm just fed up with meeting new people telling them I cycle to work and how long / quick I do it in only to be greated almost without exceptions with "how many red lights do you jump". Also whenever I hear people being critcal of cycling first of second point out of the mouth is about RLJs. IMO the perception of most London Motorists are that cyclists all jump red lights and therefor are not entitlted to be critical of any one elses driving habits.

Being sactimonious about other people's riding habits won't help with this. Also, anyone who believes that *all* cyclists jump red lights and as such don't deserve space on the road or to request better facilities is quite plainly an idiot.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    notsoblue wrote:
    anyone who believes that *all* cyclists jump red lights and as such don't deserve space on the road or to request better facilities is quite plainly an idiot.

You can dismiss them as idiots but it doesn't change the fact that there are people out there like that, and a lot of them are behind the wheel.