Most talented rider of the past 5 years.

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It pains me to say it but on strict interpretation of the rules of this thread I'd have to put Hushovd ahead of Cav.

Over the last 5 years as a TdF stage winner, TdF jersey winner and world champ perhaps he could make a better claim than some of those already considered here?????

If you include 2005, (which of couse we're not), Boonen rinses Hushovd like for like there.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I asking myself who will be remembered in 50 years time?

As good as Contador is (and ignoring beefgate), he'll probably be seen as the bloke that won a few races after Lance. Valverde, Evans etc will be largely forgotten.

Which leaves Cancellara and probably Cavendish.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    TheStone wrote:

As good as Contador is (and ignoring beefgate), he'll probably be seen as the bloke that won a few races after Lance. Valverde, Evans etc will be largely forgotten.

:cry: not the Boonen mesiter? :cry:

He's Belgian which helps the memory bit.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TheStone wrote:

Name a sprinter from the 60's. :wink:

Tour de France winners and certain classic winners will be remembered I expect.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Bullet Bob Hayes :)
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Sprinting wasn't the same then as it is now.

Cippo will always be remembered.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Ah, but if he breaks Merckx's record of Tour stage wins, as he may well do, he'll be very well remembered
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Permit an old man an indulgence, Cadel Evans. An engaging and complex personality who has enjoyed the troubles of being an 'outsider' yet overcome them in a fine style. I value an open personality who is able to show emotion, unlike so many of these hooded, discrete maestros. In addition, he has worn the title of World Champion with distinction.

Next 5 years? Nicholas Roche.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Funny how Andy Schleck isn't featuring that highly.

Well at the moment and so far he is a one-trick pny and only performs once during the entire season. Maybe if he had a proper race calendar and was able to perform in every race he entered and was able to dominate the competition on occasion then he'd be up there. And he is not a rider for the fans to get behind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844

Well at the moment and so far he is a one-trick pny and only performs once during the entire season. Maybe if he had a proper race calendar and was able to perform in every race he entered and was able to dominate the competition on occasion then he'd be up there. And he is not a rider for the fans to get behind.

So a rider who has won LBL, two tour stages, will be proclaimed winner of the 2010 tour when cuntador is banned and will probably win the tour this year is a one trick pony but evans is the most talented rider in the peloton! :roll: FFS.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • frenchfighter
    I am afraid I don't associate or speak to people who use such foul language so will not reply to your post.

I will let others explain to you if they see fit why Evans crushes either Schleck.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I will let others explain to you if they see fit why Evans crushes either Schleck.

Well, I'm guessing it won't involve his ability to gracefully climb like a gazelle....
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I am afraid I don't associate or speak to people who use such foul language so will not reply to your post.

I will let others explain to you if they see fit why Evans crushes either Schleck.

Oh dear. :cry:

Actually i did not use any foul language. For all you know berties surname could be a typo but you are not interested in that are you? Must get lonely on that pedestal of yours all alone?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    TheStone wrote:

Contador (or however you want to "accidentally" spell it) has won all the three Grand Tours, that puts him in some very elite company and something which puts him ahead of lance :D
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • frenchfighter
    Jez mon wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Contador (or however you want to "accidentally" spell it) has won all the three Grand Tours, that puts him in some very elite company and something which puts him ahead of lance :D

Indeed. 5 to be exact: Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault, Contador:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Cro ... n_a_career
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132

He's only 25, it is a bit unfair to expect him to judge him over the past 5 years.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    My top 6:

Boonen, Cancellara, Cavendish, Contador, Gilbert and Valverde.

All great cyclists in different areas.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Arkibal wrote:
    My top 6:

Do you really think Cavendish and Gilbert have done enough over the past 5 years to be included?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dougzz wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:
    My top 6:

Do you really think Cavendish and Gilbert have done enough over the past 5 years to be included?

Cavendish certainly has. 15 Tour stages in 3 years is a something that only Merckx has matched. It's more bunch Tour bunch sprint wins than anyone in history. No-one's claiming he's and all-rounder, but he's certainly a phenomenon.
    Twitter: @RichN95