Giro vs TOC. In case you thought the 2nd had a chance

2»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN, talking of local races for local people - last year at the ToC the top four were Rogers, Zabriskie, Leipheimer and Horner .......

Sure, but I'm sure the ToC organizers would like it to be more international, while the Giro has often struck me as a race which would rather it was just Italians doing well.

Cali did suspend the racing when Levi fell over a few years ago. Local race for local people.

But I think Cali is a nice race. Agree with the point about it being well positioned. I do think it's unlikely any TdF challengers will actually try very hard with it being in May but whatever, it's sometimes nice to see someone different.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I reckon it's unfair that 3 adjoining countries are the only ones to get a 3 week Tour, they should all be slashed to 2 weeks and we could have a 3 week Tour of Arabia to replace Qatar and Dubai plus a 3 week Tour of Britain and Ireland :wink:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pross wrote:
    3 week Tour of Britain and Ireland :wink:

I know you are joking, and that it's completely impractical due to finances and elf and safety...but you really could route a fantastic 3 week race around the UK and Ireland.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross wrote:
    3 week Tour of Britain and Ireland :wink:

I know you are joking, and that it's completely impractical due to finances and elf and safety...but you really could route a fantastic 3 week race around the UK and Ireland.

Yes.
    Maybe then the organizers could find the odd Scottish or Welsh mountain to climb...........

............every year.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Not wanting to drift the thread too much, but I thought this years ToB was a pretty decent race. It had some agressive racing and some promising route selections. Hopefully they will keep the trend going in 2011 (if the race even goes ahead).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not wanting to drift the thread too much, but I thought this years ToB was a pretty decent race. It had some agressive racing and some promising route selections. Hopefully they will keep the trend going in 2011 (if the race even goes ahead).

It's a rubbish race.

There is nothing iconic or memorable in the ToB.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207

It's a rubbish race.

Strange, I can remember standing in the pouring rain and near gale force wind for two hours waiting for them to come up the Black Mountain! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:

It's a rubbish race.

Strange, I can remember standing in the pouring rain and near gale force wind for two hours waiting for them to come up the Black Mountain! :wink:

You can remember being there?! No way!

I can't remember any such shizzle on TV. I can remember turning the ToB on and not caring, even though Hoogerland was in it!