Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2011

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Cheers RedGreen.

Beats my first attempt earlier this year (which was clockwise) which left me so tired at the top of one of the first steep bits I keelled over and had to lie down for about 20 mins before I could get home.

Also - how much lighter am I than everyone else?

Surely there are more 5ft6 slight guys here?
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mages.html

Some great pictures of Richmond Park.
  • Having never visited Richmond Park, can I ask why all the laps are done anti-clockwise?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Having never visited Richmond Park, can I ask why all the laps are done anti-clockwise?

You don't have to go anti but its considered safer, all left turns.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers RedGreen.

Beats my first attempt earlier this year (which was clockwise) which left me so tired at the top of one of the first steep bits I keelled over and had to lie down for about 20 mins before I could get home.

Top time, Rick.

55kg?! :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748

There's usually a ~53kg woman here but she's put on some weight recently. :lol:

But at your size, you're definitely an anomaly both in RP 3LC and in amateur cycle racing! Have you thought about doing some hill climbs at the end of the season? Is that where your strengths lie?
  • rick_chasey
    maryka wrote:

There's usually a ~53kg woman here but she's put on some weight recently. :lol:

But at your size, you're definitely an anomaly both in RP 3LC and in amateur cycle racing! Have you thought about doing some hill climbs at the end of the season? Is that where your strengths lie?

Well thats the thing really. I'm rubbish at hill climbs. That's why I've started riding around without gears to try and up my power a bit > force me to actually go flat out to get up hills, rather than cheating myself.

I did well on the longer climbs when I went out in the Pyrenees.

I've done most of my cycling, bar a couple years in the Peaks (and I didn't do that much there apart from one summer) in Cambridge, which is flaaaat, so I could probably work on my strength over, say a 15 minute flatout jobbie. Then again, I'm not keen on shorter efforts. 1hr is about as short as I can bring myself to do - I prefer cruising around for hours and hours - if only I had the time.

And I've never formally raced... This is the firt TT thing I've done.
  • Name......................Dir...........Wt........Time.........Mnth....Club...............TOR
    Gutchings .............Anti.........71kg ....48:26........Mar.....CSG.............1st cat (road bike)
    Eyepea .................Anti.........79kg ....49:28........Mar......LD...............1st cat (road bike)
    TarmacExpert.......Anti..........70kg......49:45.......Feb......KW..............TTer (road bike) AP 294W NP 307W
    Petromyzon......... Anti........75kg.......51.41.......Mar......LD...............AP 360W
    paddlemyowncanoe Anti....85kg......53.22......Mar......LD.......2nd cat vet AP 318W NP 336W road bike
    rjeffroy.............. Anti........72kg.......55:01.......Feb......LD..............2nd cat old git...
    Jibberjim.............. Anti........77kg.......55:09.......Jan......KW..............Club run hero...AP 293W NP320 W
    Ed F .................. Anti ....... 68kg? .... 55.47 .... Feb .... KW .......... Commuter / 3rd cat roadie
    JonGinge ............... Anti ....... 68kg .... 55.53 .... Apr .... KW .......... Commuter / Sportive
    Bush75............... Anti........78kg......56:24........Mar......LRT............4th Cat
    CJCP....................anti........79kg.......57:26......Mar.......KW.................Commuter/Sportive
    bigdave1963........Anti.......89kg.......57:30.......Mar......KW................Sportive/TT (Rd set-up)
    Furrag.................Anti......70.5g.......57:37.......Mar......KW................Newbie 4th cat
    leejdavies...........Anti..........83kg.......57.55.......Mar......n/a.............Sportive/fitness
    RedGreenBaron..Anti.........70kg.......58.00.......April.....LD..............Sportive
    seabadger...........Anti.........80ish......58.34.......Feb......n/a.............mtb/fitness
    Rick Chasey........Anti.......55kg.......58.36......Apr.........n/a..............SS road bike
    Birdy247..............anti........70kg.......58:44......Mar.......n/a..................Nothing at the moment, road bike
    RaGzMaN............... Anti........80kg......58.47........Mar.........n/a.........Commuter/Fitness
    Marko1982..........Anti........80kg.......59:00.......Feb......n/a.............2nd season Triathlete, road bike on drops
    nang_flex...................Anti.......82kg.......59:10.......March...n/a.......Sportive/Fitness
    FHKJ...................Anti.......80kg.......59:12.......March...n/a.......Sportive/Fitness.....AP 272W
    parksider..........clock..........72kgs.....59.34.....Apr.....none..........road bike fitness
    SirUlrich...............Anti.......75kg.......59.46........Mar.......n/a............Lazy student/Fitness
    Rushie............... Anti........77kg......60:20........Feb......TCC............4th Cat/Comm/Marmotte
    Alan Sherman.......Anti.......84kg...60:29.........mar........KWCC..........3rd Cat
    POD.................Anti.......86kg...61:57.........Mar........N/A..........Sportive/Odd race
    London-Red........ Anti........85kg......62:34........Jan......RPCC............Fitness
    Cumulonimbus....anti........85kg.......62.35.......Feb.......none..............Fitness
    Coopster the 1st...Anti........83kg.......63:21......Mar.......ARCC..........Commuter/Sportive
    maryka................anti..........62kg.......63:38......Feb........KW..............cat 1w up the duff AP 186w/NP 203w
    Im Bald Ok..........anti.........71kg......63:57.......Mar.......N/A................Fun fun fun.
    GGBAndrew......Anti.......81kg.......64:14......April........n/a.........Nothing at the moment
    toontra.................anti........74kg.......64:54......Feb.......n/a..................Audax
    wind700............Anti...........80kg.....65.25.......mar.......n/a...............Fitness
    KnightoftheLongTights.....anti........70kg.......65:31......Jan.......n/a....Fitness
    strokemonkey.....anti........81kg.......66:14......Jan.......total novice....Giant TCR Adv 4
    Chunkytfg........... Anti.........125kg.....67.03......Mar..........n/a............ 15m just to get to RP!
    Gert_lush............anti........65kg.......67.5........Jan.......Teaclub..........SCR - Dawes superGalaxy
    Seanoconn........ Anti.........80kg.......68:35......Jan........n/a................Fitness/commuter
    ajh18..................anti..........62kg......69.16......Mar........n/a.............Fitness
    GWiz.................Anti.........98kg......70:01......Mar........n/a................Flat bar fixie
    Frag75.................Anti.........85kg......72:25......Jan........n/a................Allez Sport[/quote]

Nice when it all clicks together! Busy with cars and cyclists so I chose clockwise today and came up with this great time of 59:34. Think I saw maryka in there too (2.30 - 3.30) doing some anticlockwise laps but it seemed pretty busy in that direction
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    parksider wrote:
    Nice when it all clicks together! Busy with cars and cyclists so I chose clockwise today and came up with this great time of 59:34. Think I saw maryka in there too (2.30 - 3.30) doing some anticlockwise laps but it seemed pretty busy in that direction
    The park was insane today! Just nonstop traffic everywhere. Impressed that you managed that time clockwise as you must have been held up quite a bit going down Sawyers?
  • robcycle
    robcycle Posts: 4
    Name......................Dir...........Wt........Time.........Mnth....Club...............TOR
    Gutchings .............Anti.........71kg ....48:26........Mar.....CSG.............1st cat (road bike)
    Eyepea .................Anti.........79kg ....49:28........Mar......LD...............1st cat (road bike)
    TarmacExpert.......Anti..........70kg......49:45.......Feb......KW..............TTer (road bike) AP 294W NP 307W
    Petromyzon......... Anti........75kg.......51.41.......Mar......LD...............AP 360W
    paddlemyowncanoe Anti....85kg......53.22......Mar......LD.......2nd cat vet AP 318W NP 336W road bike
    rjeffroy.............. Anti........72kg.......55:01.......Feb......LD..............2nd cat old git...
    Jibberjim.............. Anti........77kg.......55:09.......Jan......KW..............Club run hero...AP 293W NP320 W
    Ed F .................. Anti ....... 68kg? .... 55.47 .... Feb .... KW .......... Commuter / 3rd cat roadie
    JonGinge ............... Anti ....... 68kg .... 55.53 .... Apr .... KW .......... Commuter / Sportive
    Bush75............... Anti........78kg......56:24........Mar......LRT............4th Cat
    CJCP....................anti........79kg.......57:26......Mar.......KW.................Commuter/Sportive
    bigdave1963........Anti.......89kg.......57:30.......Mar......KW................Sportive/TT (Rd set-up)
    Furrag.................Anti......70.5g.......57:37.......Mar......KW................Newbie 4th cat
    leejdavies...........Anti..........83kg.......57.55.......Mar......n/a.............Sportive/fitness
    RedGreenBaron..Anti.........70kg.......58.00.......April.....LD..............Sportive
    seabadger...........Anti.........80ish......58.34.......Feb......n/a.............mtb/fitness
    Rick Chasey........Anti.......55kg.......58.36......Apr.........n/a..............SS road bike
    Birdy247..............anti........70kg.......58:44......Mar.......n/a..................Nothing at the moment, road bike
    RaGzMaN............... Anti........80kg......58.47........Mar.........n/a.........Commuter/Fitness
    Marko1982..........Anti........80kg.......59:00.......Feb......n/a.............2nd season Triathlete, road bike on drops
    nang_flex...................Anti.......82kg.......59:10.......March...n/a.......Sportive/Fitness
    FHKJ...................Anti.......80kg.......59:12.......March...n/a.......Sportive/Fitness.....AP 272W
    parksider..........clock..........72kgs.....59.34.....Apr.....none..........road bike fitness
    SirUlrich...............Anti.......75kg.......59.46........Mar.......n/a............Lazy student/Fitness
    Rushie............... Anti........77kg......60:20........Feb......TCC............4th Cat/Comm/Marmotte
    Alan Sherman.......Anti.......84kg...60:29.........mar........KWCC..........3rd Cat
    RobCycle..........Anti.........74Kg.....60:32........Apr.........N/A.........Fitness
    POD.................Anti.......86kg...61:57.........Mar........N/A..........Sportive/Odd race
    London-Red........ Anti........85kg......62:34........Jan......RPCC............Fitness
    Cumulonimbus....anti........85kg.......62.35.......Feb.......none..............Fitness
    Coopster the 1st...Anti........83kg.......63:21......Mar.......ARCC..........Commuter/Sportive
    maryka................anti..........62kg.......63:38......Feb........KW..............cat 1w up the duff AP 186w/NP 203w
    Im Bald Ok..........anti.........71kg......63:57.......Mar.......N/A................Fun fun fun.
    GGBAndrew......Anti.......81kg.......64:14......April........n/a.........Nothing at the moment
    toontra.................anti........74kg.......64:54......Feb.......n/a..................Audax
    wind700............Anti...........80kg.....65.25.......mar.......n/a...............Fitness
    KnightoftheLongTights.....anti........70kg.......65:31......Jan.......n/a....Fitness
    strokemonkey.....anti........81kg.......66:14......Jan.......total novice....Giant TCR Adv 4
    Chunkytfg........... Anti.........125kg.....67.03......Mar..........n/a............ 15m just to get to RP!
    Gert_lush............anti........65kg.......67.5........Jan.......Teaclub..........SCR - Dawes superGalaxy
    Seanoconn........ Anti.........80kg.......68:35......Jan........n/a................Fitness/commuter
    ajh18..................anti..........62kg......69.16......Mar........n/a.............Fitness
    GWiz.................Anti.........98kg......70:01......Mar........n/a................Flat bar fixie
    Frag75.................Anti.........85kg......72:25......Jan........n/a................Allez Sport[/quote]

Early start, no holdups. Just a bit too cool to say conditions were perfect, but it was close ...
  • The appearance of Robcycle and Parksider has taken us up to 44 names vs 43 on precisely this date last year.

Very happy to jump a few Wheelers. My target of 55 would jump the next 3 as well, but I fear this moving target will move in this kind of weather, esp with the east wind.
    I did this last night when the wind seemed to be from the north/north-east but still warm (unlike the chilly wind this evening).
    A few 'cars stuck behind bikes' delays plus a deadstop for an ambulance.
    Still no power data as I'm having all kinds of difficulty downloading and deleting from my powertap so it's still full; but I think the temperature and wind counted for more of the 2 minute improvement then my performance.

Name......................Dir...........Wt........Time.........Mnth....Club...............TOR
    RedGreenBaron..Anti.........70kg.......55.55.......April.....LD..............Sportive vet
    RobCycle..........Anti.........74Kg.....60:32........Apr.........N/A.........Fitness
    Frag75.................Anti.........85kg......72:25......Jan........n/a................Allez Sport
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Very happy to jump a few Wheelers. My target of 55 would jump the next 3 as well,

Hopefully I can bring myself a lot nearer my times of last year rather than my current performance, so you hopefully won't be passing me!

Struggling to get motivated for a 3LC though, I just don't feel in good enough shape to challenge 50 minutes.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • RaGzMaN
    RaGzMaN Posts: 32
    Gave it a good go this morning, mildly hungover and with some tired legs from an overzealous 50 miles yesterday on my first ride with a power meter. First time in the park with power, second time using it. Turns out my pacing is absolutely abysmal, lots to learn there, few holdups one or two very bad but otherwise very very happy and surprised with the result. Took me all summer last year to get a personal best and this morning I managed to blow my old pb out of the water. Think its time for some new targets this summer :-)
    High fives all round to all the inspirational times so far this year!

RaGzMaN............... Anti........80kg......55.26........Apr.........n/a.........Commuter/Fitness...AP 267W NP 280W
    RedGreenBaron..Anti.........70kg.......55.55.......April.....LD..............Sportive vet
    Frag75.................Anti.........85kg......72:25......Jan........n/a................Allez Sport
  • eyepea0
    eyepea0 Posts: 33
    Shaved a little off. Various delays but not enough to make difference in leader board position. Legs bit tired after road race yesterday afternoon, but was not able to get out on bike today until ~6.45pm so park was only option and pretty nice evening so might as well time the laps. First lap of 16:20 was annoyingly not fast enough to make worth really going for it laps 2&3, but not slow enough to justify giving up...

Eyepea .................Anti.........n/akg ....49:04........Apr......LD...............1st cat (road bike)
    RaGzMaN............... Anti........80kg......55.26........Apr.........n/a.........Commuter/Fitness...AP 267W NP 280W
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Eyepea .................Anti.........n/akg ....49:04........Apr......LD...............1st cat (road bike)
    King Donut..........Anti........90kg.......58:50.......Apr......n/a..........Commuter / fitness

Perfect conditions early yesterday morning but chilly.
  • rick_chasey
    A correction.

I time myself with my watch, which is a normal face watch.

I recon I was 5 minutes ambitious with my last effort, given my speed the rest of the time.

King Donut..........Anti........90kg.......58:50.......Apr......n/a..........Commuter / fitness
    Rick Chasey........Anti.......55kg.......63.36......Apr.........n/a..............SS road bike
  • Shiz - you lot are going pretty well at the moment. Some great times up there.

After about nine months of doing a bit of running and a lot of nothing, I'm back on the bike and feeling pretty unfit. Was in the park last night and thought I'd throw in a timed lap (just one) to benchmark me ahead of the training to come (also, not sure I can manage 20 miles at the moment :wink: ).

19.28 for the lap - felt ok doing it, but was coughing like a b*stard afterwards. Was also one of those laps that feels like you've got a headwind all the way round. I'm sure you know the ones...

Anyway, onwards and upwards - sure I can turn in a sub 60 three lapper in a few weeks and when I take the stablisers off :wink:
  • maryka wrote:
    parksider wrote:
    The park was insane today! Just nonstop traffic everywhere. Impressed that you managed that time clockwise as you must have been held up quite a bit going down Sawyers?

I had a really lucky hour! I came in at Richmond Gate and saw all the traffic heading towards Kingston Gate and decided it had to be a clockwise 3. I was lucky - not too much in that direction and I was able to overtake down Sawyers on a couple of occasions. Also, a tail-wind up Broomfield helped! I reckon the perfect 3 is a bit like finding the perfect wave in surfing - I've been riding the Park for 25 years now and it has only happened on a few occasions - good legs, few cars, no wind (or a slight easterly) no deer or horse stops, no police......
  • Im Bald Ok
    Im Bald Ok Posts: 146

Im Bald Ok..........anti.........71kg......62:28.......Apr.......N/A................Fitness.
    Rick Chasey........Anti.......55kg.......63.36......Apr.........n/a..............SS road bike

Not challenging the 60 minute mark yet but a 1:30 improvement nonetheless. Reasonably happy considering there was a South Westerly wind. 20:54 20:43 20:51
  • AndyB_1
    AndyB_1 Posts: 6
    Hit the park on Sunday am as part of a longer ride but thought I'd time the 1st 3 laps to set a marker for the rest of the season and get another name on the board. Not an all out RP3 but pretty close. Weather was great and lucked out with the traffic with only a couple of minor hold ups.

AndyB_1.............Anti......72kg......56:25........Apr........n/a..........Sportive/commuter
    Im Bald Ok..........anti.........71kg......62:28.......Apr.......N/A................Fitness.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    I had some knee surgery a couple of weeks ago. And where does Mrs Rushie want to go on a nice sunny Sunday with me on crutches? That's right, RP. Frustration is a cyclist on crutches in RP on a sunny Sunday. Was just on the verge of cracking the hour as well. First 15-min turbo sesh this morning. Hurts like a b@stard. Am trying to use the times on here as motivation to get me through another crushingly dull physio sesh. Should be back on the road in about 3 weeks time but not even going to bother timing for the first couple of rides. GRRRR!
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Day off work yesterday so thought I'd give it a shot in the afternoon despite legs being heavy after racing and hills ride at weekend. With an easterly wind, there was potential for a good time. Very frustrating though - the parks police were out in force speed checking cars so was stuck behind endless row of cars for the 1st lap and slightly less for the 2nd and 3rd laps. Lap times tell it all: 20:24, 18:03 and 18:36. Never mind, next time!

AndyB_1.............Anti......72kg......56:25........Apr........n/a..........Sportive/commuter
    Weapons.............Anti......63kg......57:03........Apr.......LD...............4th cat
  • oscar26
    oscar26 Posts: 5
    Over 2 minutes faster than the last time I tried this a couple of weeks ago. Must be the slight easterly wind, conditions were pretty much perfect tonight.

oscar26.................Anti........63kg.......53.06......Apr.....KW................TTer/3cat (road bike)
    Weapons.............Anti......63kg......57:03........Apr.......LD...............4th cat
  • jibberjim
    oscar26 wrote:
    Over 2 minutes faster than the last time I tried this a couple of weeks ago. Must be the slight easterly wind, conditions were pretty much perfect tonight.

I went out at 6:15 or so for an attempt, but the park was just so busy with cars and cyclists there was no chance I was going to attempt it. You were out a bit later though I think? (I was doing my Dark hill reps just before leaving when I saw you.)

I actually think the wind was pretty poor, It wasn't that much of an east wind and it seemed very blustery with often headwinds in all sorts of places.
  • oscar26
    oscar26 Posts: 5
    jibberjim wrote:
    oscar26 wrote:

I went out at 6:15 or so for an attempt, but the park was just so busy with cars and cyclists there was no chance I was going to attempt it. You were out a bit later though I think? (I was doing my Dark hill reps just before leaving when I saw you.)

I actually think the wind was pretty poor, It wasn't that much of an east wind and it seemed very blustery with often headwinds in all sorts of places.

yeah I was a bit later, was just beginning my second lap when I saw you. It was pretty quiet then, only really got held up once during the first lap. Not sure about the conditions, felt pretty favourable to me but things may have improved a bit when the temperature cooled down later on.

One thing doing the 3LC has taught me is that I really need to warm up a lot more than I do for TTs (especially 10s) - the first lap was a real struggle but I was feeling so much better for the second and third laps. Not sure if that is reflected in the lap times though as I don't have split times.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    When's the quietest time at Richmond Park?

I was thinking about heading down there tomorrow morning about 9-ish but I'm not sure what it's like for traffic at that time of the day?
  • jibberjim
    I was thinking about heading down there tomorrow morning about 9-ish but I'm not sure what it's like for traffic at that time of the day?

There's generally not a whole lot of commuting cars in the morning, so it's reasonably quiet. With the weather and the holidays though, this week is pretty busy all around, and the cooler mornings are slower than the evenings.

2-3 is not too bad a time to do it I've found - as it's warmer than the morning, and the traffic isn't too bad. Remember also that depending on how fast you're going cars can actually be a help - you can get a good draft of them, and it's only if you're faster than the cars that it's a big penalty as long as they're moving well.
  • Name......................Dir...........Wt........Time.........Mnth....Club...............TOR
    oscar26.................Anti........63kg.......53.06......Apr.....KW................TTer/3cat (road bike)
    parksider..........clock.......72kgs.....59.18.....Apr.....none..........road bike / fun

Another good day for a clockwise 3. No change in league table position but a bettering of my last clocking by16 seconds. Still good enough to be top of the clockwise league!
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    weapons wrote:
    Day off work yesterday so thought I'd give it a shot in the afternoon despite legs being heavy after racing and hills ride at weekend. With an easterly wind, there was potential for a good time. Very frustrating though - the parks police were out in force speed checking cars so was stuck behind endless row of cars for the 1st lap and slightly less for the 2nd and 3rd laps. Lap times tell it all: 20:24, 18:03 and 18:36. Never mind, next time!

oops downloaded my garmin stats and misremembered the lap times: 19:24, 18:17 and 18:36 so total = 56:17

Weapons.............Anti......63kg......56:17........Apr.......LD...............4th cat
    parksider..........clock.......72kgs.....59.18.....Apr.....none..........road bike / fun
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Had my first try at the three laps today, I was hoping for anything less than 75 minutes so I managed that :D
    I'm going to use the excuse that I've been out on the bike for the past three days so my legs are a bit tired....hopefully I'll be able to knock a bit of time off over the summer.

Weapons.............Anti......63kg......56:17........Apr.......LD...............4th cat
    Wisepranker....Anti......82kg.......72:03......Apr........n/a................Beginner/Fitness