How much have you spent this year?

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited January 2011 in MTB general
I thought I'd ask how much you guys have spent on bike kit this year on your expensive hobby.

Me- £640 but its worth it as I'm fitter, enjoy myself and its a sport where you can go out no matter what the weather unlike my hockey.
I've got a bike in the £230 saving on new when it was barely used and then laods on other bits like bling and a hydration pack (on its way)

I bet you'll surprise yourself too

Comments

• £0. But another 364 days left to change that.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    around the £1500 mark if not more
  • well last year then
  • jay12 wrote:
    holy shit, you're only 12!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,093
    Don't dare look, know the MTV was a lot more expensive than the road bike
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    iv spent £84 this year already never mind last year!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jay12 wrote:
    holy shoot, you're only 12!

He's a midget master criminal.Either that or a lucrative paper round.

I don't keep track, but whatever it was, it's too much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    ~£300 on the KHS in December
    ~£600 through the year on the Orange Clockwork
    £< RRP(£2249) Cube AMS Pro R1 in May

plenty on clothing (softshell, lycra shorts, waterproof shorts, baggies, winter gloves, summer gloves) new helmet, DX light, Mobi power washer, a custom boot liner for the car, more High5 sports bars than you can shake a stick at & plenty of SIS Go

Then fuel & tolls on my travels

So maybe £3-4k.....
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • well, mine includes £90 I spent tonight too, oakley hydration pack winging its way to me aswell as blue bolts and some bigger inner tubes.

I've only been riding 6 months, I'll carry on for a long time though
  • Too much, but completely justified. Very happy with my purchases. Since 2011 has started, i've managed to spend 300 already. Good and bad start haha.
  • jay12
    jay12 wrote:
    hahah yeah. being a "12" year oldm ,means that whatever i earn goes towards bikes and stuff. last year i managed to earn about 2 grand through paper round, leaflets + birthday and chrsitmas money. and majority of that has gone towards bikes
  • jay12 wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    hahah yeah. being a "12" year oldm ,means that whatever i earn goes towards bikes and stuff. last year i managed to earn about 2 grand through paper round, leaflets + birthday and chrsitmas money. and majority of that has gone towards bikes
    I would get a paper round but having to go out to 7:15 for school kills that idea and then I'm back at 6, so I've got no time. But at least soon I can do the commute to school (9 miles each way), more fitness for the mtbing them.
  • jay12
    jay12 wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    I would get a paper round but having to go at 7:15 for school kills that idea and then I'm back at 6, so I've got no time. But at least soon I can do the commute to school,, more fitness for the mtbing them.
    oh unlucky. school starts at 8:55 for me and is 10mins from my house so i get loads of time :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Including racing fees and what not I must've spent over £5000 last year, that's getting stuff trade too.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    < £300 including race entries, probably about £600 including fuel/beers/fun

The year before i bought the Commencal in Dec so it's just out of the equation.
  • Not got a clue how much i spent last year but yesterday got some Royal race shorts and Royal l/s Jersey so i'll class that as my first purchase of 2011 as the money will only come out of my bank tuesday :lol: Will be adding around £1200 for a full bouncer in february (got my eye on a 2009 Mongoose Teocali super) and may pick up some new knee pads next week while i'm getting some elbow/forearm pads
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • beany123
    beany123 Posts: 133
    a lot more than my missis thinks :shock: :D:lol:
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • At least a grand, which is more than my bike cost new. No plans to spend less this year!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Somewhere in the region of £2000. That does include unusual purchases of a cruiser BMX and a road bike.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    £2k on the new bike, £140 on tyres, £200 on other bits, £300ish on uplifts, lots of money on fuel for the car to go riding + more ££ on other bits i'm sure.

But at the end of the day, i don't care, i've enjoyed every minute!
  • im thinking about £1500 but could be nearly £2k.

oops
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    As a starter into MTB had to spend some monies. 3-4k last year (all inclusive), thankfully this year only need fewer bits.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • around £5000
  • around £1000 in 2010 and about £200-250 will be coming out of the bank soon for a pair of shimano M161s,some XT spds,overshoes,661 gloves and maybe a pair of maxxis high rollers
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • The best part of €4000?? Probably more. Three new bikes (one was second hand but couldn't say no) and then all the little bits and pieces that need changing over the year + expenses to actually get out on the bike!
    The death of the bike begins with its start
    The most efficient machine on the plant
    Often referred to as the noblest invention

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    1600+
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    spent over a grand on the maxlight, and more recently started a new build, spent £1500 already, at trade, and i havent even got the frame or brakes yet :lol: it will be definitly worth it tho.

as for travel, holidays etc i went to BRL and had 2 mtb holidays last year, so probably upwards of 200 quid there too, numerous parties, nights out, i dread to think ive spent there :shock: :lol:
  • Just started riding again late this year but so far

£550 - Secondhand Boardman Bike
    £100 - Clothes
    £200 - Tools+ Tyres
    £150 - Bike carrier for car

Not too bad but I get a feeling that next year is gonna be an expensive one :D
  • Just started riding again late this year but so far

£550 - Secondhand Boardman Bike
    £100 - Clothes
    £200 - Tools+ Tyres
    £150 - Bike carrier for car

Not too bad but I get a feeling that next year is gonna be an expensive one :D

I love to hear that!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited January 2011
    Nothing, it's only the 2nd day of the year.. ask me again in December

In 2010, £2.5K plus with ease as I embarked on a long travel HT project as well as upgrading and maintaining two existing bikes..