The Beacon Little Mountain TT

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    peejay78 wrote:
    jeff - or anyone - would you say this is a course for a TT bike over a road bike?
    A TT bike will be faster on almost any course, including this one.

even dursley HR? ;)
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    peejay78 wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    peejay78 wrote:
    jeff - or anyone - would you say this is a course for a TT bike over a road bike?
    A TT bike will be faster on almost any course, including this one.

even dursley HR? ;)
    Definitely!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,145
    bexslack wrote:
    While aware that the two big hills were timed, I tried not to focus on it and therefore attempted to ride both without going too deep into the red. I'll probably dig a bit deeper this year now I realise people actually look at the splits!

We ladies though will never compete with you whippet men on the inclines - you just have to look at the National Hill Climb results to realise how much poorer climbers the fairer sex are - even at the top end. Boo hoo!

Not too sure on that, I think part of the thing with the national hill climb is it is often on a shortish but steep climb. On longer, more gradual climbs I think women tend to hold their own a lot better. I guess it comes down to short, steep climbs being more dependent on maximum power whereas longer climbs rely more on sustainable power (never know the proper terms regarding power sorry!) and a lower weight tends to help more. Haven't ridden this TT but from looking at the route it seems the hills fall more into the short, steep category.
  • peejay78
    this year's national is on a really long steady incline.

it's not even a hill, to be honest. it's a slope that goes on for a while. i can't work out if i'm annoyed about it or not yet. if the big TT fatties do really well then i'll be annoyed. if they don't, then i'll be happy.

wait and see i guess.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well, hopefully I'll start getting some regular training done soon, then I'll feel better about doing the Beacon LMTT.
    By the sounds of it, I may well try to do a sneaky reccie of the course, first...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    hopper1 wrote:
    By the sounds of it, I may well try to do a sneaky reccie of the course, first...

If you can, that is a very good idea. I will be doing a recce of the course again this year, just to remind myself of all the ups and downs.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    If you don't have time for a full recce, do the "second part" of the course which includes Stanford & Ankerdine. The first loop is merely hors d'hoevre (sp?)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • davep7
    davep7 Posts: 5
    4.39 for me up ankerdine In last years LMTT. As a stand alone hill climb my pb for Ankerdine is 3.33.

For me in the LMTT it's just a case of getting up Ankerdine without stopping then trying to piece yourself together for the final few miles.

Great event, and yes, try to ride the second half of the course at some point to learn not only the climbs but the downhills too. Lots of time can be saved on them, it's not just about going up the climbs quickly.
  • Pross wrote:
    Not too sure on that, I think part of the thing with the national hill climb is it is often on a shortish but steep climb. On longer, more gradual climbs I think women tend to hold their own a lot better. I guess it comes down to short, steep climbs being more dependent on maximum power whereas longer climbs rely more on sustainable power (never know the proper terms regarding power sorry!) and a lower weight tends to help more. Haven't ridden this TT but from looking at the route it seems the hills fall more into the short, steep category.

I totally agree on all those points....

The fact that this year's National hill climb is on a gentler longer gradient will play to the ladies' strengths. Expect us (and I say "us" vicariously!) to put in a better show.
  • peejay78
    bexslack wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I totally agree on all those points....

The fact that this year's National hill climb is on a gentler longer gradient will play to the ladies' strengths. Expect us (and I say "us" vicariously!) to put in a better show.

unless it plays to the strengths of the testers in general, and not the hillclimbers, in which case it won't make any difference.
  • hopper1
    RichK wrote:
    If you don't have time for a full recce, do the "second part" of the course which includes Stanford & Ankerdine. The first loop is merely hors d'hoevre (sp?)

I quite fancy the first half... :wink:
  • hopper1 wrote:

The course cruelly passes HQ at the half way mark. You can almost smell the cake as you ride by......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bexslack wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

The course cruelly passes HQ at the half way mark. You can almost smell the cake as you ride by......

I stopped to have one...
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    bexslack wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

I stopped to have one...

:shock: I don't eat cake!

Much!...
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    hopper1 wrote:
    RichK wrote:

It is a course in it's own right - K22/16 - http://www.midlanddc.org.uk/index.php?q=courses&area=K22&course=K22/16

Not sure that it's used though.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    RichK wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    RichK wrote:
    It is a course in it's own right - K22/16 - http://www.midlanddc.org.uk/index.php?q=courses&area=K22&course=K22/16
    It's been used for a round of the National Rudy Project Series in August for the last few years, promoted by the Wyre Forest CRC. The senior men do two laps and everyone else just 1 lap. I think the Worcester St John's are promoting that event this year, but not sure whether they're sticking with the same course or not.

With respect to passing the HQ in the middle of the event, we've talked frequently about timing the first lap, publishing the times and perhaps awarding a prize for the fastest first circuit. The main reason for not doing this is lack of space in the result sheet for yet another result column!

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    How about a prize for most fair to middling performance? I think I was bang in the middle of the roadies last year...
  • BeaconRuth
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How about a prize for most fair to middling performance? I think I was bang in the middle of the roadies last year...
    A prize for mediocrity?.......... interesting idea. :lol:

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Ruth, get in touch with the sufferfest at www.thesufferfest.co.uk, they'll do a training video as a prize for 4th place... Let me know if you want me to sort it for you...
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    RichK wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    RichK wrote:
    It's been used for a round of the National Rudy Project Series in August for the last few years, promoted by the Wyre Forest CRC. The senior men do two laps and everyone else just 1 lap. I think the Worcester St John's are promoting that event this year, but not sure whether they're sticking with the same course or not. /quote]

You are right Ruth, WSTJCC are promoting that event on the k22/16. It's the same course as the 1st bit of the LMTT (might I add the nicer bit).

Plug over :twisted:
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Just for the info of entrants, Ankerdine is undergoing a lot of a tree cull ! Gone will be the trees overhanging the road, its now bright and airy place, although I'm sure riders will still experience the dark and sinister feel in their very own ''pain cave'' :shock:
  • 3Pears wrote:
    Just for the info of entrants, Ankerdine is undergoing a lot of a tree cull ! Gone will be the trees overhanging the road, its now bright and airy place, although I'm sure riders will still experience the dark and sinister feel in their very own ''pain cave'' :shock:
    I shall have to have a nosey tomorrow!
  • 3Pears
    Sheptastic, I believe they haven't finished the tree cull yet, in which case the road is closed :( Its not a normal closure were normally you can get through on your bike, they have trees laying across the road making it totally impassable :shock:

I've taken a few photo's but not sure how to load into text :oops:
  • Sheptastic wrote:

You'd ride up Ankerdine for fun on a training ride?! - surely that's cheating...
  • 3Pears
    Couple of photo's of the post, tree cull Ankerdine on Epic Cycles FB page :D

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Epic-C ... 8617414312
  • bexslack wrote:
    Sheptastic wrote:

You'd ride up Ankerdine for fun on a training ride?! - surely that's cheating...

Erm.. not regularly... and I forgot to that day. might make a point of doing it now!
  • 3Pears wrote:

THEY HAVE RUINED IT. used to be a lovely, cozy pain cave with the overhanging branches. :(
  • BeaconRuth
    Sheptastic wrote:
    3Pears wrote:

THEY HAVE RUINED IT. used to be a lovely, cozy pain cave with the overhanging branches. :(
    I'm sure you can still turn it into a mega pain-fest without overhanging trees if you try hard enough. :wink:

Ruth
  • 3Pears
    Ruth

Excuse me if you are already aware but just to let you know there are road works on the A44 on the bridge before turning left to Ankerdine climb. It is a 3 way traffic light controlled system which will play havoc with riders with such long pauses :evil:

The signs state the road works will be there til 13th May 2011. It may be worth asking the County Coucil or Highways if the traffic light system will be removed for the Easter weekend !!

Sorry to create you a problem but forewarned ................