The Beacon Little Mountain TT

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
Has the 2011 date been set yet, Ruth?
Want to pencil this into the race diary as soon as.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    April the 24th is the date.
  • jgsi
    Cheers.. :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When do entries open? It's my main target this year and if I don't get in I'll freaking scream!!!
  • SBezza
    NapoleonD wrote:
    When do entries open? It's my main target this year and if I don't get in I'll freaking scream!!!

I am sure you could send your entry into Ruth now, normally people would wait until the CTT Handbook comes out for all the details, but if you have the details from 2010 you could use them. The only difference would likely be the entry fee, this might have gone up, but Ruth would be able to tell if this was the case.

I normally do my entries 1 month in advance of the closing date. Closing date is normally 10 days before the event.

Entries are not on a first come first served basis though, I am pretty sure you will have no issues getting in NapD
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    NapoleonD wrote:

As you already have a time for the distance (& it's a unique distance) you're unlikely to have a problem getting in.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Anonymous
    Phew!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Yup, Steve and Richard are right - the date is 24th April (Easter Sunday unfortunately - hope that's not going to put people off) and anyone who has ridden the event before is highly unlikely not to get a ride. The event hasn't been oversubscribed for the last couple of years - it was only in 2008 that I had to turn a few riders away. As Steve says, it's not first-come-first-served though, so rushing to send in your entry won't help.

It will be great to have you come and ride it JGSI. Let's see if we can beat last year's record attendance by Bikeradarites! :D

Ruth
  • jgsi
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Yup, Steve and Richard are right - the date is 24th April (Easter Sunday unfortunately - hope that's not going to put people off) and anyone who has ridden the event before is highly unlikely not to get a ride. The event hasn't been oversubscribed for the last couple of years - it was only in 2008 that I had to turn a few riders away. As Steve says, it's not first-come-first-served though, so rushing to send in your entry won't help.

It will be great to have you come and ride it JGSI. Let's see if we can beat last year's record attendance by Bikeradarites! :D

Ruth

In the diary and the entry form in March then! : :D
  • There is usually a good crowd from Worcester St Johns CC, me included this year + pointy hat + skinsuit. Had a rowing event that day last ear so didnt make it. :cry:

Those are the roads I train on so *in theory* I should do OK.

What did people do up Ankerdine Hill last year? I reckon I could do sub 4.30 mid race.
  • richk
    Sheptastic wrote:
    What did people do up Ankerdine Hill last year? I reckon I could do sub 4.30 mid race.

Results, including times for Stanford & Ankerdine are here : http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/2010_results_men.html
  • RichK wrote:
    Sheptastic wrote:

Results, including times for Stanford & Ankerdine are here : http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/2010_results_men.html

Thanks but I doesn't answer my question. I was asking what forumites got. Not knowing peoples actual names, its just a list.
  • richk
    Sheptastic wrote:
    .... I was asking what forumites got. Not knowing peoples actual names...

OK here goes. Ankerdine was 6:38 for me. I'm right at the bottom.

TBH I was more than pleased to just make it to the top as Ankerdine comes at about the 30 mile mark & I'd not been there before on a bike.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Sheptastic wrote:
    Thanks but I doesn't answer my question. I was asking what forumites got. Not knowing peoples actual names, its just a list.
    4'04 when I did it in '09. I hope to be back this year - it's a couple of days after one of the Rudy Project rounds so it should be doable unless I get roped into something else.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    4'52 for me when I rode it in 2007. But I was massively overgeared on Ankerdine and virtually came to a standstill at one point. :oops: I seem to recall having reached the point of insanity at that point too because I held quite a conversation with some spectators in my delirium.

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    I was on for 2.55 mins but enjoyed it so much I turned round before the top and did it again so it recorded 5.48.
  • jgsi
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I was on for 2.55 mins but enjoyed it so much I turned round before the top and did it again so it recorded 5.48.
    Did you have your power meter going as a matter of interest?
  • 5:03 for me it appears. Slower than Ruth :( ... Will try a bit harder this year. :D

Have just realised that Mr Slack dead heated with Ruth.... :lol:
  • Anonymous
    JGSI wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Did you have your power meter going as a matter of interest?

Yes.

It showed me as doing around
    900[/BR exaggeration mode] watts for the climb.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Only 900?! Psh!
  • SBezza
    4:27 for me, I hope to go quicker this year, due to being lighter, and hopefully stronger.

I hope Jeff can make it this year
  • SBezza
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    4'52 for me when I rode it in 2007. But I was massively overgeared on Ankerdine and virtually came to a standstill at one point. :oops: I seem to recall having reached the point of insanity at that point too because I held quite a conversation with some spectators in my delirium.

Ruth

Was that when you used 39x21 Ruth, :shock: I thought it was hard enough on 39x23.
  • Jeff Jones
    SBezza wrote:
    Was that when you used 39x21 Ruth, :shock: I thought it was hard enough on 39x23.
    I thought it was hard enough in 39x25!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

I think that is what I will go with this year, then again it is never going to be easy is it LOL
  • Jeff Jones
    SBezza wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

I think that is what I will go with this year, then again it is never going to be easy is it LOL
    A 27 might make it a bit more comfortable ;-) That said I think my current TT setup is 39x23 and I probably wouldn't change it (+ the chain) for one race.

Ankerdine is hard b/c it's towards the end so you need to get your pacing right over the first part of the course. Then there's those few drags before the finish which really nail you.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • While aware that the two big hills were timed, I tried not to focus on it and therefore attempted to ride both without going too deep into the red. I'll probably dig a bit deeper this year now I realise people actually look at the splits!

We ladies though will never compete with you whippet men on the inclines - you just have to look at the National Hill Climb results to realise how much poorer climbers the fairer sex are - even at the top end. Boo hoo!
  • Anonymous
    I'm going fixed 42x16
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i might do this event this year - although i really need to work on my speed on the flat.

in fact, that's the key issue for me. i've found out that i can go uphill quite quickly, but haven't quite worked out how to transfer it.

jeff - or anyone - would you say this is a course for a TT bike over a road bike?
  • SBezza
    bexslack wrote:
    While aware that the two big hills were timed, I tried not to focus on it and therefore attempted to ride both without going too deep into the red. I'll probably dig a bit deeper this year now I realise people actually look at the splits!

I didn't focus on the hills either, and just rode up them at a hard but sustainable pace, basically so I could get straight back on the power over the top without resting.

I was actually surprised of how fast I actually climbed them both, hills are certainly not my thing. :lol:
  • SBezza
    peejay78 wrote:
    jeff - or anyone - would you say this is a course for a TT bike over a road bike?

Faster on a TT bike, but there is a road bike category as well. I will be doing it on the TT bike again this year.
  • Jeff Jones
    peejay78 wrote:
    A TT bike will be faster on almost any course, including this one.

But I had a lot of fun doing it on a road bike and as SBezza said, there is a road category (with a decent prize).

Don't do it on fixed :wink:
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports