Rourke or Pegoretti?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
A custom fitted Rourke 953 or a standard size Pegoretti?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Whatever you fancy. Toss a coin and believe me, while it's up in the air, you'll know in your heart of hearts which side you hope it lands on.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    or the Enigma Extensor at the same price for a custom build :D

just to make the decision easier ;)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • A bike built specifically to suit your measurements and riding style is always going to be the best choice. Although a Pegoretti is an investment.
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    As Pegoretti says himself finding the ideal bike is all about fit, so why would you buy off the self? He seems so fanatical about matching a bike to the rider that selling of the peg seems to go against all he believes.
  • inseine wrote:
    As Pegoretti says himself finding the ideal bike is all about fit, so why would you buy off the self? He seems so fanatical about matching a bike to the rider that selling of the peg seems to go against all he believes.

Agreed. A bike made to measure and custom built for you is always going to be the better bike
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    See if you can guess which one I would recommend?

rourkiebikeresized.jpg
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    edited December 2010
    A custom fitted Rourke 953 or a standard size Pegoretti?

Stop dithering around and buy what you wanted in the first instance the Peg Marcelo. :shock:

Plus it will make me green when you wheel up on it!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not that I don't rate Mr Rourkes fine products, but if the Pegoretti geometry suits you, then it would be a no-brainer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nowt wrong with a Rourke, but, well, Pegoretti!
  • Let me put this another way.

If you get the Rourke it would be the equivalent of getting a suit made at a Savile Row tailor.

If you got the Pegoretti it would be like getting an off the peg Armani suit. Now the Armani whistle is nice but would you look as good in it?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    I am interested in the comparison.

why are we only only being asked to compare a stock peg when his custom fit service is no extra charge?

[edited]

• Agreed. A bike made to measure and custom built for you is always going to be the better bike

I dont agree with "always". I have two custom and two off the peg bikes - and have the same position on each of them (saddle set back, reach, drop, etc) with no funnies in terms of spacers, stem angles or the like.

If you're an odd size in some way, then maybe a custom frame will be better, but for the average person, most of the time, an off the shelf size with appropriate tweaks will fit perfectly. Cervelo for example make a point that all their pro riders use off the shelf frame geometries.

Jon
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bigpikle wrote:
    or the Enigma Extensor at the same price for a custom build :D

just to make the decision easier ;)
    +1 for the Extensor ......
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Whatever you fancy. Toss a coin and believe me, while it's up in the air, you'll know in your heart of hearts which side you hope it lands on.
    Wow, good one. I do this all the time without knowing it, bet we all do.
    Failing that I'd go for the custom fit 953 and sweat the details: if you're small, ask about a slightly smaller dialmeter seat tube (Seven is good at this, check their site) or the smallest diameter seatstays you can get. Why not ask for a really large non-drive side chainstay for extra drive-train rigidity? If you like the look - go for mega sloping to reduce frame weight to the max. Or ask for 2-3mm extra rear brake bridge clearance to get those mud-guards in there that we all hate but know make good sense in this climate we live in. Or get a forward facing seatpost slot, or two lateral ones? Or get a 1" fork if you like? Check out Andy Hampstead's personal Moots Ti for a good "all-road" road bike if that's your fancy. Or go for an aero down tube out of 6/4 Ti if rourke can splice that in to a 953 frame - althought not sure if you can TIG dissimilar metals...

Custom opens up SO many possibilities - fit aside, you can get the details you really want...options are only limited by what Reynolds offer Rourke in terms of diameters - why don't you check out the Reylnolds site to see how many tube shapes they offer for a given tube - like the top tube. The Columbus site used to be really good at this.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It also depends on the wait for the Pegoretti - Responsorium is something like 3 years!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • on-yer-bike
    dcj wrote:
    I am interested in the comparison.

why are we only only being asked to compare a stock peg when his custom fit service is no extra charge?

[edited]

If you can wait forever
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    interesting comment there.
    A comparable peg responsorium is around twice the price before custom finishes are talked about, which presumably you already know.

the peg dealer who has already placed his order with dario way down the line probably still has time to fine tune the details of individual frames and colours so a technical three year theoretical delay for a custom frame may not actually be anywhere near three years.

but if you don't talk to the dealer you will never know and we will never know if you are not just wasting everyone's time with this thread, honestly :)
  • The Rourke's are nice. From the 32 pic gallery, I thought the following:

#11 - the orange with clear panels is cool looking, retro and urban at the same time
    #13 - the while with clear panels is really handsome, man that's nice, like the best of Serotta or Seven or Indy fab
    #19 - white & black - looking really modern here, nice concept
    #28 - white & red - again, someone put some good thought into this, top stuff

How long is the Rourke wait time? Winter IS afterall, frame building time...so his torch must be working over-time.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • giant_man
    Yeah not bad but some of the colour/graphic schemes are a little tiresome .....
  • "...90% of riders don't need a custom frame. Because if you ask the rider, everyone has some problem with the back, with the shoulder, everybody in the world...and if you ask the customer everybody wants a 'comfortable' frame. So probably 10% need a custom built frame. But 100% need a good fit..."

Dario Pegoretti

(but don't go for the Jaco Pastorius tribute paintjob, not even if you play bass).
  • Pegoretti Fo-sho.

Some of those paint schemes are stunning
  • on-yer-bike
    dcj wrote:
    A comparable peg responsorium is around twice the price before custom finishes are talked about, which presumably you already know.

the peg dealer who has already placed his order with dario way down the line probably still has time to fine tune the details of individual frames and colours so a technical three year theoretical delay for a custom frame may not actually be anywhere near three years.

but if you don't talk to the dealer you will never know and we will never know if you are not just wasting everyone's time with this thread, honestly :)

We are all wasting our time looking at this forum. I have talked to THE dealer who has had very bad reviews on this forum. I want a steel frame and I can afford one. How is that wasting anymore of anybody's time than any other threads on this forum?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • dcj wrote:

We are all wasting our time looking at this forum. I have talked to THE dealer who has had very bad reviews on this forum. I want a steel frame and I can afford one. How is that wasting anymore of anybody's time than any other threads on this forum?

I dont think the comment was intended as it came across. If it was, shame on you dcj!!
  • Hoopdriver
    I have a Pegoretti - a Luigino. It's a lovely bike, every bit as good as Dario's reputation would lead you to expect. Dealing with THE dealer though, was another matter altogether. I'd never ever shop there again, or have anything to do with the place.

I am now in the midst of having a bespoke lugged steel frame made for me by Mark Reilly at Enigma and the whole experience has been wonderful. Can't fault their service, nor what I have seen so far of the frame being built - it's been immaculately constructed; fabulous job. I'm rapt.

Something to think about
  • What are you looking for from Enigma that the Luigino doesn't give you? It might help the OP decide what to do.
  • Hoopdriver
    Ah - there you have me. The Enigma is going to be a very personal bike, very idiosyncratic, the classic lightweight tourer I always wanted - I've selected the lugs, the tubing, the lot, and picked up some hard to find components over the years. IT is totally bespoke and the guys at Enigma have been absolutely wonderful.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Luigino. It is a beautiful bike that performs beautifully.

I am just a very lucky guy to be having have two such lovely bikes - and a very understanding and tolerant (non-cycling) wife!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Oh dear! I have just started saving for a Pegoretti and now I see people slagging off the dealer! Please tell me more before I start crying.
  • Hoopdriver
    Pegorettis are wonderful bikes and Dario is a real gentleman by all accounts. The unfortunate part about buying one in the UK is the need to go through this one certain shop - and they are just pirates. I have had several unpleasant experiences with that lot, and I am by no means alone. I wish I could tell you another way of doing it, but there doesn't seem to be. A friend of mine had so much unpleasantness in his dealings with that shop (and was even in the obviously mistaken belief that he was a friend of one of the owners) that he actually travelled to Italy to buy from Dario in person. bUt for some reason or other Dario felt he had to honour his exclusivity agreement with the London shop and insisted it be handled through them.

He went ahead, but had a very unpleasant time of things, and it cost him WAY more than planned or budgeted. He was glad to have the Peg, but never set foot in that shop again.

Absolute grinning pirates.
  • giant_man
    Mark Reilly and Enigma is the place I plan to get my next two steel frames from. I attended their open day back in July and was very impressed at the workmanship, watching Mark first hand at work, and attention to detail the company adhere to.
  • Hoopdriver
    +1

Enigma really are a class act.