training tyre

kenniff
kenniff Posts: 207
Hi all,when on the turbo the tyre is obviouslet a bit smooth,so when i want to go out for the odd ride what do i do.
If i put a fresh tyre on it with wear it out on the turbo.
Is it the done thing to get another cheep wheel and tyre and swap it when i go out.
Is there a budget training tyre and wheel combo.
many thanks :roll:
Easy life

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    kenniff wrote:
    Hi all,when on the turbo the tyre is obviouslet a bit smooth,so when i want to go out for the odd ride what do i do.
    If i put a fresh tyre on it with wear it out on the turbo.
    Is it the done thing to get another cheep wheel and tyre and swap it when i go out.
    Is there a budget training tyre and wheel combo.
    many thanks :roll:

A few choices:

Put a new tyre on your wheel when you want to go on a road ride. Swap back when done.
    Have a separate wheel and tyre for turbo (what most people do). Get cheapest available!
    Get a really hard-wearing tyre that you can use on both turbo and road. Not ideal as tyre will still wear out.

Depends on your budget. Look on ebay for a cheap used wheel. I saw NEW wheels at Decathalon for £30. (You'll need a cassette too).
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I just use a worn out wheel on the turbo with an old hard tyre. Bit more difficukt if you haven't got a worn out wheel though I suppose.

I think what Pokerface has said about the wheels from Decathalon is not a bad idea, you can get cheapish cassettes from them as well.
  • in peoples experience what is the hardest wearing tyre that will stand the odd turbo session?
  • kenniff
    kenniff Posts: 207
    After adding all the bits together i will probably end up getting another bike.
    Will have to struggle till the spring then get a decent first bike and use this as a hack.
    Thanks for your help.
    Now i've opened a can of worms-which bike-o well here goes...... :wink:
    Easy life