Reading 2 Bath - You want it you want it bad!!!!!

124»

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    ASAP before it rains non stop and I get back into the rat race.

I'm good all week this week or most of next week then I fear it'll have to wait a while.

Am away on a car rally across Europe from Thursday so only free day, subject to missus approval, would be Saturday 7th.

Works for me but will depend on the weather leading upto if it rains hard we may as well not bother, it'll be a mudfest

Sounds like a good excuse to stay in the first pub.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    7th is good for me - I was thinking of Reading to Savernake - Marlborough - Swindon as I don't think we'll have time to do the whole route with pub breaks
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was thinking more along the lines of Hungerford to Bradford on Avon, less busy sections of the route innit

Should be about 45 miles or so at a steady 8-10 mph leaves loads of refreshment stopping time.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    itboffin wrote:
    I was thinking more along the lines of Hungerford to Bradford on Avon, less busy sections of the route innit

Should be about 45 miles or so at a steady 8-10 mph leaves loads of refreshment stopping time.

I bow to your superior route knowledge -sounds good to me 8)
  • jzed
    10ish start - train from Paddington takes just over an hour
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:

10 ish :lol:

Hmmm I thought a stats addict like you would surely ride down from London :wink:

think of the miles :P
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:

10 ish :lol:

Hmmm I thought a stats addict like you would surely ride down from London :wink:

think of the miles :P

75 miles - MTB - nah don't have it that bad - and miles will start to taper off now as shift to increasing intensity for Marmotte.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    itboffin wrote:

Surely most of that route you wont really see the Kennet though? If you follow the sustrans route 4 anyway. I tried to ignore the route and go along the towpath in some sections and regretted it - even with front suspension.

Probably not up for it due to the timing - but did Reading to Pewsey a couple of weeks ago with my 11yr old lad. It was great, but a bit of a shame that the last part kept going away from the canal. 42 miles in total. Lunch in Hungerford at the Down Gate pub was great.

We want to do the whole canal, Reading to Bristol/Servern Beach in the summer, so building up to Reading to Devizes in one go as that is the norm for a 3 day trip I think.

I can recommend the route from Reading to Bedwyn or Pewsey to anyone not sure if they can manage the mileage - because there is a train line with stops every few miles along it - so if anyone drops out they can just grab a train.
  • itboffin
    Nah the canal path is fine from hungerford to pewsey you just need to take it easy and watch the weather forecasts, route 4 is fine but as you said far off the canal route for most of that section.

I ride up and down there most days as it passes through my village.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    * checks diary *

* shuffles off to shed to find MTB *
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    May 7th. Harlequins vs Saracens bugger!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    just rode the sustrans route 4 from my village to Alton and back, hmmm lots of stones and flint :roll:

Heading back out on the MTB to see if the canal path would be more tyre friendly.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:

Heading back out on the MTB with the garden roller to make the canal path more tyre friendly.

FTFY :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Bumpy for a few miles but fine and more importantly sheltered from the wind :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    OK - I have a plan - I'm going to cycle from Swindon through Savernake and meet you somewhere around Burbage - you probably know a pub in the area :roll:
  • itboffin
    It's the Grafton game fair on the 7th which is on the canal at Crofton so it'd be rude not to stop in for a few pints of refreshment surely :wink:

Bring your own guns yah!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Wellies and waxed jackets then - I'll meet up with you in the beer tent
  • itboffin
    Wellies and waxed jackets then - I'll meet up with you in the beer tent

Yup pretty much 60.40 split for country London city types and farmers, no prizes for guessing who wins the clay pigeon comps.
  • itboffin
    Alllllrighty then so who's defo coming on this ride?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    gbsahne wrote:
    Name.............Dist..........When

GBSahne..........Full............when there's an "r" in the month

No "r" this month, so unfortunately not; (plus have to babysit this w/end)
  • Jay dubbleU
    I intend to - however slight logistical problem leaves me without a bike - my old GT frame has given up and the new Charge Duster ordered from Wiggle hasn't arrived yet - Wiggle shows the order completed so I hope it will be with me in the next couple of days
  • the other me
    the other me Posts: 114
    I'd like to (well tbh I fancy doing the whole shebang, Reading to Bath (or even Brizzol). in fact I might even start a rival thread! (and call myself the Judean Peoples Front :))) but either way I can't do it this saturday....

I rode along the canal from Reading to a little way past Devizes on Monday, and the path is in great condition for riding (although in places a little bumpy for my saddle - @rse combo)
  • jzed
    Sorry can't get a pass from the missus who has organised quad biking in kent. After spending the entire bank holiday weekend on a car rally to Prague and back, and working til midnight every day since, I ain't chancing it.
  • itboffin
    Right then lets put this off until we can muster a larger than 1 crowd - besides I have some heavy drinking and shooting to do that day.