Turbo Trainers

Bulldog VII
Bulldog VII Posts: 4
Hi & help

I am a keen thought large cyclist (19 stone) & have done LEJOG 3 times, not quick but cycled ever inch of the country 3 times!!

I am now turning my efforts to marathons & did New York last month in the rather slow timeof 7hrs 13mins & 51 secs. I have managed to talk 5 of the girls who I spin at my local gym with to do London with me in April & need some advice on my turbo trainer I have in the garage.

I have got my Specilised Roubaix (with my new Brooks saddle) set up on it, but wanted some advice on how best to maximise my efforts. Should i be looking to sprint for an hour or should I be looking at intervals to increase my endurance & core fitness

Thanks for any help you can give

Phil

ps I do have a blog for my marathon training at www.runporkscratch.blogspot.com if you want to look??

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ditch the turbo and do some running!

If you are doing the turbo for weight loss then go as hard as you can in the time you have available.
  • Agree with NapoleanD - the best training for a marathon is lots of running - especially this close to the race (just over 3 months) - I should know, I've been running them since 1982 ! Where I would use the turbo-trainer is a) as an easy recovery session the day after a long run or a shorter race, just to clear the legs of lactic acid and give your body a bit of a rest, and b) when, like now, the weather and/or ground conditions are adverse to running (I've not been running for a week now and am clocking up the miles on my turbo-trainer).

Dave
  • Sorry i wasn't very clear, Because of the snow (which is still a few inches think her the pavements are like ice rinks) what was the best to do

1) interval training

2) Sprints

3) Steady climbs

I'm a real novice on the turbo trainer??
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In that case just get on, spin the legs, just keep the heart ticking over. Nothing too hard. IMO as someone who doesn't (can't) run.