Buying from Chainreation....

Marin_B17
Marin_B17 Posts: 51
edited January 2011 in MTB general
I have heard from many people who are in the biking industry that Chainreactioncycles.com tend to sell components that are from other countries (using different tools and materials that cannot be worked on by British bike shops), or have been rebranded......is this true? I was considering Fox Forks from them as they are in the sale - 75% off. is there a problem?!

Cheers guys!

Comments

• lol not true at all.

Used CRC for most of my MTB stuff, they're cheap and quick delivery.

As with ALL online bike outlets, the cheap stuff is either:

1) stuff the can't shift (ie fox forks with a 1.5" steerer)
    2) OEM
    3) old stock
    4) all of the above
  • lol not true at all.

2) OEM
    3) old stock
    4) all of the above

+1
    I always use CRC. Never had a single problem with them, and the prices are usually great!
  • Thanks, the prices seem VERY cheap.....kind of makes me wander why. But I guess some people I've talked to wanted me to buy from them, not online. haha

Thanks again
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    lol not true at all.

2) OEM
    3) old stock
    4) all of the above

^^ This. ^^

Does your bike take a 1.5" steerer? Lol, you can't bodge that one!

On another, completely unrelated note, that Black market Killswitch frame on the front page looks rather tasty.. :shock:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Yeah, foreign stuff :roll: I can imagine the massie factories in asia doing specisl stuff purely for the UK market :lol:
    At worst it will be an OEM part, so no pretty box and a monor spec change, so ask if you are unsure.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Marin_B17 wrote:
    Thanks, the prices seem VERY cheap.....kind of makes me wander why. But I guess some people I've talked to wanted me to buy from them, not online. haha

Thanks again

a lot of stuff is OE (made for the bike makers) and CRC buy up their excess stock. OE parts may not be quite the same as After Market.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    basically most the stuff that i have bought has just been put into sealed bags along with teh instructions etc. stuff like clothing is usually in the usual bags that if you went to your lbs theyd be packed in the same thing. crc sell so much stuff that they can get away with low prices

Stav
    it's such a nice frame, looks amazing in green. it's one of the best dj/slopestyle frames out there
  • jay12
    CRC sometimes do that to reduce postage too... if you ask they will send the complete box if they have it!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've always been really pleased with CRC
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Marin_B17 wrote:
    II was considering Fox Forks from them as they are in the sale - 75% off. is there a problem?!

Cheers guys!

i wonder if this is the fox fork mentioned a few times on the forum so far, they have a 1.5 inch steerer so wont fint many bikes.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    +1 here too. I've use CRC plenty and have never had a problem. And they're returns system is fine too.
    Go for it. There's nothing wrong with getting a good deal.
    Many happy trails!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    timpop wrote:
    Go for it. There's nothing wrong with getting a good deal.

Can be habit forming, leading to upgrade / must have one in each colour addiction.
  • Have had nothing but good from CRC, always a pleasure to deal with!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Apparently CRC have won Which Magazine's 'Best Online Sports & Leisure Retailer' award. Wiggle were a close second.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have sued CRC for most of my online shopping and not had an issue, appart from one time I bought a set of FSA carbon bars and when they turned up they were carbon wrap.

I have had a lot of stuff through that has not been in the original packaging but at the end of the day its new and what i want.

I have binned wiggle now, poor for choice and not as cheap as they used to be.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • i agree, crc have been great
    i was a little shocked when i recently checked my account and seen how much i have spent in the past year (or is that saved?) lol
    used wiggle loads at the first quarter of this year and dispite being a platinum customer, they are no longer competitive for the items i want even when platinum discount is applied (haribos have also disappeared from my orders) :(
  • Tri, i agree with you on Wiggle. Despite been a Platinum customer with them CRC and Merlin are always cheaper. Also the new wiggle website is terrible so i now choose to use anyone but them.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I like CRC too. Even when things have gone wrong (they are not perfect) they have in my case, resolved matters quickly and efficiently.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Another +1 for CRC, very good people to deal with.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    loads of orders from CRC over the last two years - not a single major issue that I can remember and spot on for prices - when i have needed to contact them they have always been helpful and honest

in my experience - only superstar have better customer service in terms of online MTB stuff

slainte :D rob
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    scale20 wrote:
    I have sued CRC for most of my online shopping and not had an issue, appart from one time I bought a set of FSA carbon bars and when they turned up they were carbon wrap.

I have had a lot of stuff through that has not been in the original packaging but at the end of the day its new and what i want.

unfortunate typo
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    scale20 wrote:

unfortunate typo

lol :lol: I was wondering...
  • scale20
    Also the new wiggle website is terrible so i now choose to use anyone but them.

Totally agree there, the new website is pants, Ive had a lot of issues with it not loading properly.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    +1 for CRC.

I too am using these now, when i used to be loyal to Wiggle :?
  • scale20
    t0pc4t wrote:
    scale20 wrote:

unfortunate typo

Just noticed that, I have 'Used' Not 'Sued' CRC :lol::lol: Sausage fingers on the keyboard :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • I buy quite a lot of gear online. wanted something from CRC for Christmas but it was out of stock. Plumped for the email me when back in stock option, it came up trumps and arrived the day after I paid for it. Ordered something else with no realistic chance of a pre-Christmas delivery and there it was the next day. Faultless service in the week before Christmas. The only problem I have with them is that they have so much gear available that I get it in the neck for hogging the PC! :lol:
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    CRC/Superstar are all i use for my bike related online purchases. Used to use Wiggle, but i found that the prices were creeping up.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    CRC are spot on
    who are superstar ??
  • Brought some road wheels off them last year. quick delivery and very pleased. Packaging is just packaging.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Still the daddy of online retailers. Perhaps not as lightning fast as they used to be when it felt like you hit the buy button and postie rang the door bell 5 minutes later.

My last order took 3 days to arrive, you know when you have been spoilt when 3 days feels like an eternity :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap