fave / most useful winter kit?

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Personally< I've missed 3 days in the last month. been riding in the ice, snow, sometimes deep snow. it's been excellent. a little slower and I've not had a single off. :)

can't wait for the nice spring mornings though. Roll on sunshine!

in the meantime, to everyone who is still riding in the snow and ice, whats your favourite bit of winter kit? or two bits? so whats your favourite 2 (or 3) bits of winter gear / kit. ;-)
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• domjon
    domjon Posts: 25
    my favourite would have been studded tyres if I'd have procured them before hitting that patch of black ice last week. Back in the (painful) real world I've felt a hell of a lot safer since i put a pair of fibre flare lights on my rear stays. Wouldn't be without my overshoes and buff either on these freezing mornings...'went past a youth who was cycling through the snow in jeans and trainers last week...I honestly don't know how folk do it without the right kit.
  • Yes - if bike-related, it has to be the Schwalbe Ice Spikers - so much so that I've bought Pros for my new ride.

As for personal kit - I'm really pleased with my Assos winter glove system and 851 Airjack.

The Buff seems to be the most ubiquitous bit of winter kit
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My Buff is my new favroutie thing, so much so I've ordered 2 more!

Its hard to pick one other thing, I think the studded Marathin winters in the post will stand out as my other most useful item.
  • My gore windstopper balaclava. It'll still be seeing me right when the snow goes, the stud tyres are off but its still blooming freezing. And it was £3 out of a bargain bin so excellent VFM too
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    the aldi gloves and the aldi bibtights are the best bit of kit that aldi do

I have a headband that I got from decathlon that is also really useful cos you get the warm ears but don't get an overly sweaty head when it's not biting cold

Castelli Risvolto winter cycling hat, very useful also - bought brother Matt an enduro spin winter hat for christmas and he nearly didn't get it !

when it's really snowy I ride the mountain bike on flats and wear walking boots and endura trousers
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    domjon wrote:
    my favourite would have been studded tyres
    +1
    went past a youth who was cycling through the snow in jeans and trainers last week...I honestly don't know how folk do it without the right kit.

Well, I was only cycling the couple of miles to and from school/station/town last week and my everyday jeans and jacket were just fine. And no helmet.

After all, cycling has to be convenient: if every time I get on the bike I have to change into my expedition gear, I suppose I might just as well walk.

Even these days with subfreezing temperatures, I only wear a windproof jersey and long sleeve base layer, and windproof bib tights: pretty much the same number of layers I wear in the spring/autumn, just a tad bit heavier.

Again it's a practicality thing for me: when walking I just feel so slow...
  • Probably my Buff as no.1, I also use it off the bike so comes in handy for more than just the commute!
    Also my gloves they could be better being the quid ones from go outdoors but hey they keep my hands from freezing over so no complaints :)
    My tires are just regular nobblies i thought about ice spikers but figured it's too much hassle taking them off everytime the stuff thaws so i just cope with a bit of extra wheelspin and minor slides it's all fun and games ;)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    My fixed gear bike has been awesome to ride in the snow

And I could not do without my shimano mw80's they have been immense
  • andy83 wrote:

Very pleased with my RW80s too
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andy83
    ah yea i got the wrong code but you know what I mean

went out today with just a normal pair of socks and feet fine, on way back from work yesterday was -7 and also toasty feet

I bought mine second hand to try them but best £60 i ever spent. will get some new ones next year
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    andy83 wrote:

Very pleased with my RW80s too

Just sold mine, didn't get on with em. Might try some northwave ones.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Just sold mine, didn't get on with em. Might try some northwave ones.

What was wrong with them? I had RO80s (IIRC) for the warmer months and really liked them - just too well ventillated for this time of year.
  • prawny
    Odd shaped feet I think, no matter what I did my toes went numb after 15 minutes or so.

My left one was faulty so I took them back and decided to sell the replacements. My spesh BG Shoes fit great I wish they would make some boots this good. I think I'll have to go back to overshoes in the new year.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    hmm strange, was you wearing too many socks or the boots too tight?

to be fair I love my bontrager ones and wished they done winter ones of these
  • I had to go a size bigger than my normal footwear to allow for Shimano narrow fitting - I have typical wide feet. My feet only get cold now if my legs aren't properly protected.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I had to go a size bigger than my normal footwear to allow for Shimano narrow fitting - I have typical wide feet. My feet only get cold now if my legs aren't properly protected.

Montane featherlite pants are good for this.

Windproof, very breathable and light.
  • Back on topic :wink:

Buff
  • jimmypippa wrote:

Montane featherlite pants are good for this.

Windproof, very breathable and light.

Yup - keep a top and trousers in my belt bag in their great, tennis ball sized bag. For more brutal temperatures, I just use my Goretex overtrousers
  • to come back to you all. I've been riding on slicks, schwalbe winter studded tyres on a steel tourer (not enough clearance for mudguards too unfortunately) and ice spiker Pros (non-rusting spike unlike the regular ice spikers) on my old Marin MTB when its really bad.
    Gear wise. I recently got MW80 goretex MTB shoes. Lurvely!! buff and cyclone buff are both excellent. (i just ordered an exteondo 3in1 hat from prendas this evening. Looks ace for Jan / Feb walks and as a major cold weather 'buff' thing.
    have a niggle that even though i love my giordana windtex tights, that i'd fancy assos winter tights (if i got paid more).
    have developed a thing for Pearl izumi cyclone gloves and their new PRO softshell gloves. They've been fine down to -2/-3 before i've fancied something 'insulated'.

all in all, interesting to hear from you all. Mainly, well done to those of you riding in the ice, snow and cold. Stay warm and enjoy getting one over on those damn drivers. *two singers up to them*

Personally, i spend the money i save at my local Pret A Manger, eating up the calories I've burned.

20 months in, riding 4 days a week and loving it.

Ride On......

oh, and a chat about bikes. i've shelved the road bike and am using 3 other old bikes each with the different tyres fitted and choose one each day. It strikes me that the new Cotic X is what I'd choose if i would choose 1 bike for everyday commuting. It takes 42mm tyres so can be fitted with studs etc no problem and still have a mudguard, can cx race, tour, and a bit of winter road work. awesome. you shall be mine 'X', Mwa ha ha ha!
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=5041

Here's the hat i ordered. Looks like the ultimate face guard if you ask me. We'll soon find out! if the postman can get it here! lol.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • prawny
    briefly back off topic, i tried everything with my boots, thin socks thick socks and just to be sure i went up 2 euro sizes to help with the width no joy.

Back on topc, + millions to the buff supporters, although now i only buy cheap imitations from tk max 3 for £6 i got a polar choop for £6 too.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • .......i'd fancy assos winter tights (if i got paid more).!
    My best bit of winter kit
    i spend the money i save at my local Pret A Manger,
    ??
    If you want some Assos tights stop eating at Pret.
    Make your own sarnies.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Pro overshoes and Pro winter gloves. They keep my extremities warm :)
  • Seal Skinz gloves are the best thing for me.

other than that I just wear a base layer and shorts.
  • Probably my Castelli Diluvio gloves. Haven't been out much in the last week, but was cycling in minus lots and my hands were fine, in contrast to last winter where I was wearing winter gloves and silk liners and my hands were so cold I felt like crying.

Merino Buff & Northwave winter boots are also good (although the boots are too big).

I'll hopefully have a new favourite soon, as long as Wiggle were telling the truth when they said they've dispatched my Marathon Winter tyres. :)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Roubaix bib tights and base layers......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Assos glove system is ace, I really like my rapha neck warmer too better than a buff for neck and face protection as it deals with the moisture better imo.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • coopsman1 wrote:
    Seal Skinz gloves are the best thing for me.

Mine (the "Waterproof" sort) are one of the most disappointing bits of kit I've bought. I wonder if they were made inside-out as they let water in (I have to wring them out if it rains) but won't let it out (I have to wring them out if it doesn't rain)

Glad you have a good pair.
  • Lip balm e.g. Neutrogena
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Gore windproof head / ear band
    Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres
    Specialized sub-zero gloves
    Flat pedals! :lol: