Oh no...

badly_dubbed
badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
Aw jeees.... Got really hammered lastnight and ended up smoking a few fags now really really regret it and obviously don't want anymore...

Question is will have I totally ruined my training?? :(
How much will they have affected my system?

I feel ok ish bar a hangover but my pulse is racing!

Feel bad :(

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Ruined your training?

I doubt it, just don't cave in to the temptation again.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    One cigarette will definitely ruin your training, probably for next year as well.

In other news, smoking marijuana will turn you into a terrorist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    10.jpg
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    ^ Which is why he could never finish a TDF. (didn't have the lungs to get over the mountains)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'd personally be more concerned with the (obvious) rampant alcoholism you are dealing with.

[\end sarcastic comment]
  • Homer J wrote:
    ^ Which is why he could never finish a TDF. (didn't have the lungs to get over the mountains)

I don't think that was the issue, he just couldn't be bothered.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Homer J wrote:

That had nothing to do with the marlboro's - the guy was a sprinter. The fact he couldn't climb well was nothing to do with lungs.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I'm just concentrating on sniffing a few bags of coke during the Christmas nights our to get my heart working hard :lol:
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Is that an ashtray clamped to SuperMario's handlebar?
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    :lol:

Do us a favour and post what you did in the title. There's a very good cyclist who frequents this forum who has a few fags during races (12 hour). I'm sure he'd like to advise you but I think he only reads some of the threads.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Do us a favour and post what you did in the title. There's a very good cyclist who frequents this forum who has a few fags during races (12 hour).

A recent paper published, conducted a review of various other research and concluded much what was in the title:

"Cigarette smoking: an underused tool in high-performance endurance training"

"Cigarette smoking has an impact on three factors related to endurance performance: serum hemoglobin, lung volume and weight loss. "

" three-week training stint at altitude results in a 7%–10% increase in hemoglobin Heinicke and colleagues showed that levels return to normal within two weeks."

"In contrast, cigarette smoking has been associated with persistent increases in hemoglobin. Smoking 10 or more cigarettes per day is associated with an average hemoglobin increase of 3.5% compared with nonsmoking controls"

So 10 fags a day gives you half the benefit of 3 weeks at altitude permanently!

They also show other positive benefits of smoking, and conclude:

"In summary, existing literature supports the use of cigarettes to enhance endurance performance through weight loss and increased serum hemoglobin levels and lung volumes. However, athletes continue to neglect smoking and pursue illegal and dangerous methods that have only minor and transient effects on the same physiologic variables. More research is needed to clearly delineate when and how cigarette smoking should be integrated into high-performance training programs. "

See:
    http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/182/18/E867

Unfortunately they rather give the game away in the abstract...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Do us a favour and post what you did in the title. There's a very good cyclist who frequents this forum who has a few fags during races (12 hour).

A recent paper published, conducted a review of various other research and concluded much what was in the title:

"Cigarette smoking: an underused tool in high-performance endurance training"

"Cigarette smoking has an impact on three factors related to endurance performance: serum hemoglobin, lung volume and weight loss. "

" three-week training stint at altitude results in a 7%–10% increase in hemoglobin Heinicke and colleagues showed that levels return to normal within two weeks."

"In contrast, cigarette smoking has been associated with persistent increases in hemoglobin. Smoking 10 or more cigarettes per day is associated with an average hemoglobin increase of 3.5% compared with nonsmoking controls"

So 10 fags a day gives you half the benefit of 3 weeks at altitude permanently!

They also show other positive benefits of smoking, and conclude:

"In summary, existing literature supports the use of cigarettes to enhance endurance performance through weight loss and increased serum hemoglobin levels and lung volumes. However, athletes continue to neglect smoking and pursue illegal and dangerous methods that have only minor and transient effects on the same physiologic variables. More research is needed to clearly delineate when and how cigarette smoking should be integrated into high-performance training programs. "

See:
    http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/182/18/E867

Unfortunately they rather give the game away in the abstract...

Surely that is a piss take? Getting ethics for that study must have been a bitch :shock:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Surely that is a wee-wee take? Getting ethics for that study must have been a ***** :shock:

:) The abstract makes it pretty clear:

"The review paper is a staple of medical literature and, when well executed by an expert in the field, can provide a summary of literature that generates useful recommendations and new conceptualizations of a topic. However, if research results are selectively chosen, a review has the potential to create a convincing argument for a faulty hypothesis. Improper correlation or extrapolation of data can result in dangerously flawed conclusions. The following paper seeks to illustrate this point, using existing research to argue the hypothesis that cigarette smoking enhances endurance performance and should be incorporated into high-level training programs. "
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Don't beat yourself up. I was out on Sat night for my birthday drinks. Had about 4 pints of a bitter called Jack Frost and about 6 vodka shots (someone kept buying them and as the man of the moment I felt it would be bad form not to get involved). Then later me and a Polish friend were slugging from the bottle of Zubrowka that someone had bought be as a present as we walked to the station. I also smoked a fag.

Felt rough in the morning but had a healthy breakfast (yoghurt, oats, nuts and seeds), a home made veg juice and a salad for lunch and all was OK by early arvo on Sun and cycled from SE London to Islington and back (about 16 miles) with 2 hours at the gym in the middle.

I probably smoke about 1 or 2 cigs every 1-3 weeks. I used to smoke 10-15 per day or 20+ on a day with a night out attached, then cut back to 1 per day and then to my current level. Whilst I was on 1 per day I used to do 10k runs and half marathons, 10k in 35 mins (can't remember my half marathon time).

Went to the GP a few months back after a bike crash, he asked if I smoked, told him 1 to 2 every 1 to 3 weeks, he wrote "insignificant" in my medical record.

I definitely feel better for having "stopped" but the odd one here and there doesn't seem to affect me much...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Well that's what I needed to hear, back on my usual form and ran to work today and had my usual 40min speed walk at lunch as normal and will do an hour run in the gym tonight as spin is cancelled.

Needless to say I have no further urges for fags yesterday or today lol so I'm blaming the lowered inhibitions of being pissed! :)