Anyone Suffered from Chondromalacia Patella?

Dean1234
Dean1234 Posts: 18
Hi All

I posted about six weeks ago with regard to Iliotibial Band Syndrome. However, I have recently found out I actually have Chondromalacia Patella. I am waiting to have an MRI to see to what level the damage is and am currently having physio, working the VMO and ITB and generally trying to keep fit on highly reduced training and swimming.

I am pretty sure this is a re-accurance of an injury I had at 17 (Now returning to the sport at 34), when I was told to take 6 months off, but actually ended taking 17 years off :(

I am really keen to return to racing next year, but also understand this is not something that is going to fix overnight.

Does anyone have any experience of CP? Did you return to racing, are you racing with the condition? I am thinking unless I can ride at 95% of my max it may be I just have to ride for pleasure.

Any experience / advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    This is quite a common chronic condition for cyclists and runners - also known as 'winter knee' typically as a consequence of people ramping up the miles / effort in the winter. Typical cause is a muscular imbalance, where the kneecap is pulled onto the cartlidge in the knee leading to inflammation under the patella. I had a bout about 6 years ago and symptoms were relived by NSAIDs, rest, easiers gears and some weights/quad stretching to relieve and strengthen my muscles. Typically takes about 4-6 weeks for symptoms to subside. A few easy weeks now can easily be recovered later in your training programme rather than enduring a forced lay-off
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks Monty Dog. So, did you have no further issues? I was under the impression once cartilage was damaged, that was it and it never really got back to 100%?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No, once the inflammation had died down and I steadily increased my training volume and had no further recurrences - this was 6 years ago. I've been able to manage some quite big training volumes too since i.e. >500km/week with no problems.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Blimey, that sounds promising, just currently can't seem to get the pain to go. Another physio visit on Tuesday though. Thanks again.
  • My daughter had this - mistracking of kneecap causing pain. Fixed with careful and thorough physio - lots of stretch & strength exercises. All well now.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    Lower your gear and increase cadence and use speedplay pedals - works for me.
  • Thanks for all the advice. Trying a new physio this week, looks like he has some cycling experience, so hoping this is the final piece in the recovery jigsaw.