Ill & Missing training - suggestions pls

Intherain
Intherain Posts: 86
Hi, I am trying to return to racing after a break of about 8 years :shock: . I have maintained a reasonable level of fitness in that time and kept riding the bike its just I have not trained properly or ridden the volume required to be competitive.

I've started a training plan I put together using Joe Friel's training bible which I have found to be really useful. Its based around periodisation and the base stage broadly consists of 3 weeks training, 1 week recovery repeated for 12 weeks (3 x 4 week blocks). I have completed the first 3 week block with no hitches, all level1/2 stuff. Problem is I caught one of these colds flying around the office so I have missed a 3 hrs level 2 ride on Sunday, and all of this week. :evil:

As this week is a recovery week (so only about 6 hrs on bike total, very easy miles) I am not sure where to resume training. I am thinking I should repeat last weeks base building week but then do I need a recovery week straight after before heading into the next block of training? If no recovery week then I will end up doing 4 weeks solid which is too much for me at this stage. I dont think I should just head into the next block really or should 1? Any help gratefully received! Thanks
Yes, I like riding in the rain...

Comments

• I think one of the most important things to think about when following a training plan is be flexible. A few things I have learnt over years of self-coaching, don't try and catch up on lost training, if you've been ill and cant follow your plan get back into it slowly (volume and intensity wise), listen to your body and gradually get back into the plan. Don't stress about missed training time, there is plenty more time for training. Rather than getting to know a plan really well, get to know your body really well, develop a good RPE scale so you know when to go easy or hard. Your plan might say intervals but if your wiped out from training or racing an easy ride would be more beneficial.

If its just a head cold I usually train through it and feel better for it, if its on your chest or aches I would definitely rest. Hope that helps some.
  • Cheers Rock, I am no where near intervals yet - its all very easy level 1 and 2 stuff. I didnt want to take a risk which is why I stopped training after saturdays ride and prob will not ride again until this sat. Like you say there is loads of time still and it hopefully has only thrown things out by a week or so.

Its the adaption of the plan which I am unsure of tho - not sure what exactly to do next i.e. go back and repeat week 3 of the last block but then what? A recovery week or into week 1 of the second training block?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If this week is supposed to be a recovery week, but you feel good again then I'd just do what you missed last week and then carry on from there. I'm surprised you even need a recovery week every fourth week if its only low intensity stuff you're doing.
    More problems but still living....
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It's easy to have relapse after a cold so I'd do the missed recovery week as soon as you feel better. It's an ideal introduction back into the training. Don't worry, you've lost nothing, might even do you good
  • Cheers for the responses everyone - yeah I think I will do the recovery week next week (nice an deasy for xmas week!) then into the next block.

Even though its all level 1&2 stuff the volume is relatively high compared with what I have been doing so its important for me to recover every 4th week. In fact the whole plan is based on loading up volume then have a recovery week to give the body time to adapt and means you are fresh for the following block of training. For example you would do 9,10 & 11 hrs of training in weeks 1,2 & 3 followed by 6 hrs easy ina recovery week. Everything I've read suggests recovery is as important as the actual time out riding.

I'd really recommend the book btw, I've found it great to give some structure to my rides.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I've done the plan and I felt sometimes I was doing 'junk' miles just to do the hours but on the other hand I had quite a good year on it. I think any structured plan woke to some extent.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If you had a bad cold (you don't mention this), then take this week as a recovery week still.

If it was just a sniffle then, get back to normal training and forget the recovery week.

If the amount of training you are doing now is quite a bit more than previously done, just take it carefully to build up, without overdoing it..

I personally don't ease up if my cold is above the neck, otherwise most of the winter would be written off due to sniffles etc. Sore throat etc, and I will ease back, but I doubt I would stop training unless it was very bad (couldn't get out of bed etc).
  • Its been a wierd one. I have been sneezing and had a really sore throat, I was waking up in the morning feeling like a ping pong ball wrapped in barbed wire had lodged itself down there BUT no runny nose, no coughs and woke up this morning and the throat feels almost normal.
    I thought it was better to stop as I did 2.5hrs on saturday and felt pretty drained during the ride. I think I will do the 6 hrs or so recovery week next week as it coincides nicely with Christmas and then crack on from there.