Opening myself up for abuse

13»

Comments

• Oh I don't know.

First reaction is the KB was a d!ck and there would be a sh!tstorm of regulars on here telling him as such if he wasn't a regular, well-liked poster.

However I was on the receiving end of a horn blast several months ago, just as the dark nights came in. At the time I thought the driver was just another c0ck however it occured to me to pull over and check my rear light....the battery had died. I assume the driver was warning me.

In balance I'm letting him off with a caution.

However I remind Mr Burns that his joy in the young girl's reaction undermines the selflessness of his deed and he should consider his actions more carefully in future.

I did feel bad about that bit I must say.

Still at least no one died in a murderous torrent of windscreen cleaning water, so I can't be that bad.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Blimey, this interweb thingy is a wonderful haunt for the opinionated, init? Not absolutely certain that you are not on a sh*tstir KB but if you are it worked perfectly :wink:

Otherwise, hard to criticise, not there. I think that I would probably not have made any effort to alert these riders to the danger. Which makes me a worse person than you - very Pharisaic (if that is a word) Kind deeds are often viewed with mistrust in this world :(
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Blimey, this interweb thingy is a wonderful haunt for the opinionated, init? Not absolutely certain that you are not on a sh*tstir KB but if you are it worked perfectly :wink:

Otherwise, hard to criticise, not there. I think that I would probably not have made any effort to alert these riders to the danger. Which makes me a worse person than you - very Pharisaic (if that is a word) Kind deeds are often viewed with mistrust in this world :(

I'm not stirring I can promise you that, but I was fully aware that making the post would certainly polarise opinion on the forum.

However, I must admit I wasn't expecting the rabid foaming mouth brigade to get quite that excited.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Woah woah woah - innuendo and flaming?! Who do you think you are - DDD?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Ah, this forum has become very pre-menstrual of late. Give the holier-than-thou brigade a chance to stick the boot in and they're off. That said, it was still a knobbish thing to, but we are all guilty of being knobs from time-to-time, aren't we? Today's news, tomorrow's cyber fish and chip paper...
  • Have you searched youtube for your reg? They may have filmed you............then you really will get crucified :wink:
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yep KB, it was a bit of a silly thing to do.

But, we all do silly things from time to time. If I was to document all of the stupid things I have done and, no doubt, will do in the future I'm sure I would get slated by everyone with a brain.

I take pleasure in Airzounding peds who cross the road without looking. Maybe that could lead to a school kid having a heart attack due to an undiagnosed heart condition, or, it could lead to kids remembering the Green Cross Code.
    KB's actions could lead to the two girls buying a set of lights and riding the Dunwich Dynamo next year.

Maybe in future KB will have a word rather than scaring them shitless. Thing is, I've tried this and it doesn't work.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Driving home last night at about 4:15pm (head cold, can't even breathe properly) I turn onto a village road which can be quite heavily used and see ahead (barely!) 2 teenage girls cycling along.

1 is on the path, one wobbling along in the gutter on the road. No lights, no light clothing, no hi-vis. Basically a pair of ninjas you could quite easily miss, then hit. :? There are no street lights on this stretch, so you really could completely miss tha fact that there is someone cycling

Aaaaaanyway - the road is quiet at this point and I decide to be a little crual (to be kind)

I slow right down, straddle the centre line, dip the clutch and roll up beside them....

The Audi A4 has a really loud horn,

Her scream was ear shattering :shock:

Now I know you're going to be dividied in your opinions of my actions, but when I looked in my rear view mirror, they were both off their bikes and off the road.

Does....Not....Compute.....
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Amateur.

Any real man would have gently run them down and forced themselves on their limp concussed forms.
  • BR 1979 wrote:
    Amateur.

Any real man would have gently run them down and forced themselves on their limp concussed forms.

Is that the voice of experience or a plan?
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Amateur.

And left a note explaining that you'll continue to do similar until people understand the importance of cycling with lights?
    Probably no note needed, the police and parents would probably understand the motive.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Ah, this forum has become very pre-menstrual of late. Give the holier-than-thou brigade a chance to stick the boot in and they're off. That said, it was still a knobbish thing to, but we are all guilty of being knobs from time-to-time, aren't we? Today's news, tomorrow's cyber fish and chip paper...

So is it better to just say KB did a "knobbish" thing or try to engage him in a discussion?

Is that the defining difference between "holier than thou" and cool as f*ck? I know the thread asked for abuse but if KB was really interested in just the amount of support/disapproval he should have gone for a poll.

KB: I can assure you that while I'm typing this my mouth is not foaming and I'm still happy to drink water - such is the danger of the typed word. I'm glad you've at least admitted to some guilt over your pleasure. Very catholic of you (small c intended).

Stone Glider: Kind deeds are often viewed with mistrust but this didn't come across as a kind deed. Although perhaps I'm reading too much glee into KB's original post.

Mark.

So is it better to just say KB did a "knobbish" thing or try to engage him in a discussion?

Is that the defining difference between "holier than thou" and cool as f*ck? I know the thread asked for abuse but if KB was really interested in just the amount of support/disapproval he should have gone for a poll.

KB: I can assure you that while I'm typing this my mouth is not foaming and I'm still happy to drink water - such is the danger of the typed word. I'm glad you've at least admitted to some guilt over your pleasure. Very catholic of you (small c intended).

Stone Glider: Kind deeds are often viewed with mistrust but this didn't come across as a kind deed. Although perhaps I'm reading too much glee into KB's original post.

Mark.

be assured you are.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X

Mark.

be assured you are.

Well that removes a sizeable chunk of the prosecution case. I'd majored on that one a bit so fair enough I'll forget that. I still say you didn't go about it in the right way and I'll cling on to the clutch-dipping for as long as possible.

Mark.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I hope you've learned your lesson KB...

;)
  • As you're new to the forum, you won't be aware of my (admittedly amusing) run in with a teenage girl last time.... it kind of became a mini-legend at the time :roll: :wink:

Were you, then you may understand my reluctance to engage the girls in conversation. :? :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I hope you've learned your lesson KB...

;)

Yup.

STFU. :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    As you're new to the forum, you won't be aware of my (admittedly amusing) run in with a teenage girl last time.... it kind of became a mini-legend at the time :roll: :wink:

Were you, then you may understand my reluctance to engage the girls in conversation. :? :wink:

Link?
  • rhext wrote:
    As you're new to the forum, you won't be aware of my (admittedly amusing) run in with a teenage girl last time.... it kind of became a mini-legend at the time :roll: :wink:

Link?

Waaay ahead of you:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12627409

(easy to find... do a search on rapsit... you'll see :lol: )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X

Keep your hair on love! I was speaking generally about this forum. Personally I felt KB deserved much of the intelligent verbal kicking he received. There are one or two people here, however (not saying you), who are only too keen to climb up onto their moral high horses and to start preaching (again, speaking generally).

Keep your hair on love! I was speaking generally about this forum. Personally I felt KB deserved much of the intelligent verbal kicking he received. There are one or two people here, however (not saying you), who are only too keen to climb up onto their moral high horses and to start preaching (again, speaking generally).

Listen, if I was able to keep my hair on I would. Unfortunately I lost that battle a long time ago. Tongue firmly in cheek there BTW. Point taken, it is too easy to think all comments are directed at oneself on the web. I was trying to defend more than just myself though. Unfortunately along with my hair most of my memory seems to have disappeared so I can't remember who/how many of us nay-sayers were being reasonable and who was out to hang him.

Thanks for the link KB that old thread has illuminated things somewhat though maybe not quite how you intended.

Mark.
  • Driving home last night at about 4:15pm (head cold, can't even breathe properly) I turn onto a village road which can be quite heavily used and see ahead (barely!) 2 teenage girls cycling along.

1 is on the path, one wobbling along in the gutter on the road. No lights, no light clothing, no hi-vis. Basically a pair of ninjas you could quite easily miss, then hit. :? There are no street lights on this stretch, so you really could completely miss tha fact that there is someone cycling

Aaaaaanyway - the road is quiet at this point and I decide to be a little crual (to be kind)

I slow right down, straddle the centre line, dip the clutch and roll up beside them....

The Audi A4 has a really loud horn,

Her scream was ear shattering :shock:

Now I know you're going to be dividied in your opinions of my actions, but when I looked in my rear view mirror, they were both off their bikes and off the road.

That was disgraceful of you.