Anyone get covered in black muck today ?

2»

Comments

• Down here in Surrey there is plenty of black sludge in the cycle lanes and last night there was just enough rain to moisten it without washing it away. It clogs up my mudguards and is horrible stuff!! :shock:

I got overtaken by a skip lorry later in my commute and got sprayed with a fine mist of the stuff. Looked like I had been up a chimney when I got to work and just got in the shower in all my cycle kit to get it off my whites before it dried on!! :(
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sounds like a plan to finally get cyclist off the roads :evil:

Quick someone alert wikileaks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nothing sticky here - the black gunk just drops off as easy as anything.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Even with guards the stuff get's everywhere - dries like concrete, so wash it off every evening.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm up in Nth Mcr and was wondering what this stuff was. It appeared to be dried mud but is much tougher to shift. I considered taking the bike into the showers at work. Rims/spokes/stays are covered in cack
    M.Rushton
  • no way! I was wondering why its been so slippery. I had a two wheel drift going going though deptford and had both wheels step out this morning arghh sugar
  • Yeah I got covered in this cr@p tonight. Walked a nice trail on the hall carpet too before I noticed. The wife was none too impressed.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    FrankieH wrote:
    no way! I was wondering why its been so slippery. I had a two wheel drift going going though deptford and had both wheels step out this morning arghh sugar

Come to think of it, the bike was feeling a bit skittish - that would be why.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    rjsterry wrote:
    FrankieH wrote:
    no way! I was wondering why its been so slippery. I had a two wheel drift going going though deptford and had both wheels step out this morning arghh sugar

Come to think of it, the bike was feeling a bit skittish - that would be why.

last night i felt the roads were like ice, the bike was twitching all over the show and i had no confidence in the corners. span the rear wheels on a few occasions when out the saddle, and i don't put out a lot of power!

a visit from you know who (albeit a slow one) didn't help matters either :evil:

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    We even have the slimy black stuff here and there hasn't been any snow. It's never been like this before, I suppose it's the cutbacks. They are putting syrup on the roads instead of grit.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • They mix Agricultural Bi-Products (ABP) or molasses with salt which makes for a sticky mess. I understand this is not as corrosive for bikes as the usual salt, but it does get your bike dirty very quickly.

I use Pedros Bike Lust Polish as this make is harder for the black splats to adhere and makes it easier to wipe off the crud:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10044
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Origamist wrote:
    They mix Agricultural Bi-Products (ABP) or molasses with salt which makes for a sticky mess. I understand this is not as corrosive for bikes as the usual salt, but it does get your bike dirty very quickly.

I use Pedros Bike Lust Polish as this make is harder for the black splats to adhere and makes it easier to wipe off the crud:

IO sincerely hope that that is vegetable rather animal based. :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Totally covered last night. Put the rucsac down on the carpet as normal .... big mess.
    exercise.png
  • Cheap and simple way to stop road (and mountain) muck from sticking to the frame and for ease of cleaning: Simply wipe a rag sprayed with WD40 (or similar type spray) over your frame, leaving the top tube for lifting and butt resting duties. When you get home a quick sprinkle of water and the sh1te just drops off. Sorted.

Been using this method for years on the MTB in the winter.

Can't help the cr@p all over the clothes though...
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    They mix Agricultural Bi-Products (ABP) or molasses with salt which makes for a sticky mess. I understand this is not as corrosive for bikes as the usual salt, but it does get your bike dirty very quickly.

IO sincerely hope that that is vegetable rather animal based. :shock:

Vegetable - it's a by-product of the sugar refining industry (at least I hope so!).
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Harveytile wrote:
    Cheap and simple way to stop road (and mountain) muck from sticking to the frame and for ease of cleaning: Simply wipe a rag sprayed with WD40 (or similar type spray) over your frame, leaving the top tube for lifting and butt resting duties. When you get home a quick sprinkle of water and the sh1te just drops off. Sorted.

Been using this method for years on the MTB in the winter.

Can't help the cr@p all over the clothes though...

Nice tip. Will try tonight.