Anyone get covered in black muck today ?

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Have been commuting almost everyday to work for the past 2 years and today was the first in them 2 years where this horrible black muck has seemed to have covered my whole bike and all over my legs.

Was quite surprised how thick it was in places on the bike, it has fully covered my front and rear brakes and completely covered my rear light in a matt black like finish and seems quite tricky to shift.

Anyone notice it today or did I just happen to cycle through 10 miles of black sludge ?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Yup, just commented on this in the SCR thread. Yuk! Clean off while still wet if possible.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Yes! Splattered all over me, what the heck is that all about?!
  • Yes, definitely. What gives?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Noticed grubby shoes and hands, did wonder...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Something in the grit I guess? I noticed it too.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I don't know for sure but I think it might be down to that 'chocolate rain' I heard someone talking about on youtube.
    Hat + Beard
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    hatbeard wrote:
    I don't know for sure but I think it might be down to that 'chocolate rain' I heard someone talking about on youtube.

Is that a euphamism for something I really don't want to think about?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hatbeard wrote:

More of a charcoal rain, yukky stuff !!

I will blame my slowest commute in ages on this crap, only gave the bike a full strip down Saturday and now everything is coated in this shite!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yeah, it's pretty grim, the top of my water bottle was covered in it... luckily I noticed in time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hatbeard
    SimonAH wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

search for it, it's quite harmless and not what you think it is... i'd link it but work blocks youtube.
    Hat + Beard
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Wow, I wish there was something that would keep the sludge being splattered all over me when I ride my bike... oh, wait...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    My bike's been covered in crap since the brief flurry of snow the other week, doesn't seem to be much point cleaning it at the moment. Can't say I noticed anything more unusual this morning. My legs also appear to be un-sludged.

Is this something exclusive to South London?
  • I noticed it on my route from Balham to Blackheath.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Been like it for about a week!!
  • rjsterry
    I think it was just the right amount of rain last night to loosen all the crap from the road surface without actually washing it away. It's been fine since the snow went, but today it's as though someone has been pouring soot all over the roads.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    ndru wrote:
    Wow, I wish there was something that would keep the sludge being splattered all over me when I ride my bike... oh, wait...
    I have full lengh mudguards front and back, and it still managed to go all over my frame.
  • notsoblue
    hatbeard wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

search for it, it's quite harmless and not what you think it is... i'd link it but work blocks youtube.

I looked, but I could only find videos of people's reaction to it :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

A bit like if you search Youtube for 2 Girls, 1 Cup (which I DEFINITELY don't recommend watching)!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • hatbeard
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

A bit like if you search Youtube for 2 Girls, 1 Cup (which I DEFINITELY don't recommend watching)!

chocolate rain is nothing like 2g1c. :shock:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tay-zondaychocolate-rain
    Hat + Beard
  • I believe the black gunk is from the snow. As it snows, the dirt on the road builds up in the snow. This snow then gets pushed to the gutters and captures more dirt. Normally this would simply be washed away but it can't be as it is in the snow. Then, when the snow melts as there is so much gunk we are left with the black residue.

That is my guess anyway.

I have put too much thought in to this!
  • Molasses. Thet put it in the grit as a binding agent.
  • notsoblue
    Molasses. Thet put it in the grit as a binding agent.

Bingo!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Cleaned my bike for 3 hours on Sunday :cry:

As long as it's not worked into the bearings it should just brush off when dry I'm hoping!
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Molasses. Thet put it in the grit as a binding agent.

You mean I'm quite literally mired in molasses? Awesome!
  • rjsterry
    hfidgen wrote:
    Cleaned my bike for 3 hours on Sunday :cry:

As long as it's not worked into the bearings it should just brush off when dry I'm hoping!

That'd be a no. It's easier to get off when wet. Sticks like the proverbial when dry (being sugar). Sorry.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Aye, I got a puncture this morning on my ride home and when I saw how much gunge there was on my shoes, legs and the bike, I decided that I'd be better off walking the remaining mile home and rinsing the bike down before mending it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    notsoblue wrote:
    Molasses. Thet put it in the grit as a binding agent.

Bingo!

I didn't recall that, but it seems to be accurate indeed.

According to the Register item though, it can make things worse for those of us on two-wheel: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/13/sticky_grit/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nope nothing down this way, just lots and lots of mud. Need to clean my bike AGAIN tomorrow before the commute either that or MTFU and recommission the FGSS :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I bloody KNEW it felt like I was cycling through treacle 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Out this morning, mild, wet and very slippery. It was like riding on the white road markingd all the time. Apparently it saves expenditure of grit by 25% :? so it is popular with the County road engineers. Not me though. Filthy, tricksy stuff to spoil your day.
    The older I get the faster I was