footballers doping

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited December 2010 in Pro race
This is from the very well respected Gab Marcottis tweet this afternoon:-

Marcotti Gabriele Marcotti
Accused Spanish dope doctor Eufemiano Fuentes: "If I told them what I know, then good-bye to Euro and WC." Bluster? Reality? Quien sabe?

thought it 'interesting'

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Footballers doping?

Shurely some mistake.
  • Footballers dopey would be less shocking still
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Didier Drugban?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Rio Shouldhavebeenband?
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • ratsbeyfus
    Nigel Real Cokehead.

@ratsbey
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Well at least football has an international governing body (FIFA) which is dedicated to rooting out corruption and cheating within its sport.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Samuel EP'O
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Christine RonaldEPO
  • hommelbier wrote:
    Well at least football has an international governing body (FIFA) which is dedicated to rooting out corruption and cheating within its sport.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    d87heaven wrote:
    Footballers dopey would be less shocking still

Not as dopey as our World cup committee, who hadn't the sense to get a representative from the UK on any of the FIFA OR UEFA committees to witness the fact that we for ages stood absolutely no chance whatsoever of holding the future world cup.
    What a waist of time, money and it was just embaissing for the whole nation, to look such a bunch of complete amateurs dealing with crooks. :evil:
  • So it's a reference to Spanish footballers.
  • Ah, I see this is referred to in another thread. Onwards.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    d87heaven wrote:

Not as dopey as our World cup committee, who hadn't the sense to get a representative from the UK on any of the FIFA OR UEFA committees to witness the fact that we for ages stood absolutely no chance whatsoever of holding the future world cup.
    What a waist of time, money and it was just embaissing for the whole nation, to look such a bunch of complete amateurs dealing with crooks. :evil:

Hold on we did have a representative on the FIFA voting committee - that's how we got half our votes.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    d87heaven wrote:

Hold on we did have a representative on the FIFA voting committee - that's how we got half our votes.

Geoff Thompson, was our so called representative on FIFA but as I said we did not have the sense to get a representative to 'witness' the fact that we for ages stood absolutely no chance whatsoever of holding the future World Cup.
    He was there and saw/heard nothing, he might as well had not been there for all the good it did.
    Check this out...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11983692
    Had Morrisons known that it was a failed bid months, maybe years before the decision date then would they have put up the £1m :?: , I doubt it and I can understand their utter frustration that our so called FIFA rep at best was asleep on the job.
    Sepp Blatter is another Tony Blair just wants his place in the history books selling football to the world, well you don't have to sell it here we are swimming in the stuff. :shock: :!:
  • ratsbeyfus
    Gary Speed.

@ratsbey
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Gary Speed.

Don't mention his name!!! Bloody welsh job!!!!

Anyway if Torres is doping he must be on Ovaltine this year
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • d87heaven wrote:
    Rio Shouldhavebeenband?

Don't you mean Rio Wasbanned?
  • If you all can be serious for a second, I've noted that a # of players in Africa had died and the usual explanation is they had an abnormal heart. Now, this scenario has been repeated on a let's say Semi-Global Basis meaning one might wonder about Europe too. Remember in one of these threads I talked about in seriousness that within 3 years, two Spanish players died of heart problems, we know the Spanish star for (?) Barcelona or Real Madrid and country Sergio Ramos wore the guy's name on his shirt as a tribute and would point to the heavens. Aside from the two, a third Spanish player had to retire because of heart problems. One of the players who passed away and the player who had to retire I believe both played for the "other team" in Barcelona, Espanyol, maybe not at the same but both played there.

So with due respect to this subject, the Beeb runs a story discussing events in Africa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 286503.stm
    "Clubs will also present us with medical certificates of registered players while the NPL will also carry out regular random medical and drug tests on players.

"Truly some deaths are of natural causes but still we need to ensure medical cover and health insurance aspects are well taken care of."

And the funning here is fine, I understand that there the big sport is football/soccer and I've heard cycling aficionados give this kind of banter before. Still, I make my post in seriousness.

I know people have died even from taking Ephedra, Ephedrine, perhaps they used large doses but couple it with the heat and it might turn deadly along with other substances people use, Methamphetamine and others.
  • d87heaven wrote:
    Rio Shouldhavebeenband?

Not for doping he wasn't.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    d87heaven wrote:
    d87heaven wrote:
    Rio Shouldhavebeenband?

Perhaps because he was never caught for doping, due to him "forgetting" he was to be tested. Bit hard to ban someone for doping without actually having either a positive or some form of concrete evidence one way or the other. He was banned for skipping his test, and rightly so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • d87heaven wrote:
    d87heaven wrote:
    Rio Shouldhavebeenband?

Perhaps because he was never caught for doping, due to him "forgetting" he was to be tested. Bit hard to ban someone for doping without actually having either a positive or some form of concrete evidence one way or the other. He was banned for skipping his test, and rightly so.

I do not agree that he should have been banned. If we are after fair treatment for all sports people a first time offence doesn't warrant a ban does it?
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    just like the first time you run over and kill someone while drink driving you shouldn't get a driving ban.

the rules are quite explicit, don't want to play by them?, Stay at home.
    FCN 12
  • It isn't the same as killing someone due to drink driving though is it?

My point was that other sports people have had to miss 3 tests before receiving a ban where as his ban was for his first offence.
  • But WADA and the drug testers have become more severe in recent years.

2 Italian players about 2 years ago were given big suspensions for merely showing up late to a drug test, only by minutes, no more than 15.
  • finchy
    SunWuKong wrote:
    It isn't the same as killing someone due to drink driving though is it?

My point was that other sports people have had to miss 3 tests before receiving a ban where as his ban was for his first offence.

But in Rio Ferdinand's case, he left the training ground having been informed that he was due to be tested. That's a more serious offence than not being in the same place as specified on the whereabouts form.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Seriously...and the point is? Unless figures are provided for footballers deaths from heart problems and other studies, I don't see how ANY of the below commentary is relevant to a doping problem in football. To suggest that there is a football doping problem based on 2 Spanish players deaths and 1 retiring, is less factual and more innuendo. There may well be a doping problem in football but opinions shouldn't be influenced when based on spurious examples. We all know cycling has a doping problem (we may all disagree to its extent) but it is based on the weight of numbers who have been caught!!

The BBC do suggest there is a health problem in African football - not necessarily attributable to doping though. Its not a detailed enough article to make any further comment upon.
    If you all can be serious for a second, I've noted that a # of players in Africa had died and the usual explanation is they had an abnormal heart. Now, this scenario has been repeated on a let's say Semi-Global Basis meaning one might wonder about Europe too. Remember in one of these threads I talked about in seriousness that within 3 years, two Spanish players died of heart problems, we know the Spanish star for (?) Barcelona or Real Madrid and country Sergio Ramos wore the guy's name on his shirt as a tribute and would point to the heavens. Aside from the two, a third Spanish player had to retire because of heart problems. One of the players who passed away and the player who had to retire I believe both played for the "other team" in Barcelona, Espanyol, maybe not at the same but both played there.

So with due respect to this subject, the Beeb runs a story discussing events in Africa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 286503.stm
    "Clubs will also present us with medical certificates of registered players while the NPL will also carry out regular random medical and drug tests on players.

"Truly some deaths are of natural causes but still we need to ensure medical cover and health insurance aspects are well taken care of."

And the funning here is fine, I understand that there the big sport is football/soccer and I've heard cycling aficionados give this kind of banter before. Still, I make my post in seriousness.

I know people have died even from taking Ephedra, Ephedrine, perhaps they used large doses but couple it with the heat and it might turn deadly along with other substances people use, Methamphetamine and others.
  • If you are a pro then its part of your job to be available for a drugs test. If you miss it there can only be one reason. Paula Radcliffes book has a chapter stating the things she does to prove she is available for testing. She has never missed a test.
    Have a read of Dwain chambers book, he goes into detail about how to avoid testing. Loading up your phone with texts, 'forgetting' to turn up, not being in when the doorbell rings etc etc.

Missed test is as bad as a positive. 2 missed tests is unforgivable.
    Ban the cheats. Ban those missing tests. Its time sport drew a line in the sand and stuck to it.
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Seriously...and the point is? Unless figures are provided for footballers deaths from heart problems and other studies, I don't see how ANY of the below commentary is relevant to a doping problem in football. To suggest that there is a football doping problem based on 2 Spanish players deaths and 1 retiring, is less factual and more innuendo. There may well be a doping problem in football but opinions shouldn't be influenced when based on spurious examples. We all know cycling has a doping problem (we may all disagree to its extent) but it is based on the weight of numbers who have been caught!!

The BBC do suggest there is a health problem in African football - not necessarily attributable to doping though. Its not a detailed enough article to make any further comment upon.

I was just presenting the information, I did not mean any innuendo.

Respectfully to the deceased, a number of cyclists have lost their lives due to heart ailments. That information deserves to be presented and not to assume this was just normal.

My opinion is that in the United Kingdom, there is likely little use of performance enhancers in the football leagues though from time to time, there have been a few cases of abnormal hearts and players dying.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    won't Barcelona and Real both linked to Operación Puerto
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • finchy
    My opinion is that in the United Kingdom, there is likely little use of performance enhancers in the football leagues though from time to time, there have been a few cases of abnormal hearts and players dying.

British footballers may or may not be on it, but it's disappointing that the managers of the teams which go to compete in Europe never call out the Spanish or the Italians for doping practices. Surely everyone involved in football must know about Puerto and the allegations regarding the sport, yet everyone just stays silent. :roll: