Help with training programme for Dunwich Dynamo

paulr69
paulr69 Posts: 9
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help in devising a training programme for the Dunwich Dynamo.

For those that don't know, the Dunwich Dynamo is a annual night ride from London to Dunwich, next due to take place on July 16/17 2011 (as close to a full moon & mid-summer as possible to get maximum light).

The distance is 200 km (125 miles). It's not a race, and I'm not too bothered about how fast I do it, I'm more worried just about getting it done.

A little about me - I'm a commuter in London. I do 40 - 80 miles a week by doing either between 4 & 8 trips of about 10 miles each way (2, 3 or 4 days depending on other stuff going on). As it's London it's relatively stop/start, though I do push myself when I can on the longer stretches. I've been commuting for about 18 months, I've kept it during the autumn and winter (apart from when it's particularly icy). I'm relatively fit though that's about all the cardio exercise I do in a week.

Currently I don't do any other riding but want to do more and know that I'd have to do some longer trips before the big DD.

So do I need a plan? Or do I just need to be bloody minded and keep at it? Any help welcome!

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    You could ride it tomorrow - well probably not you'd get cold, you'd hit some ice etc. but if it was tomorrow on a warm summers evening you could ride it tomorrow.

Obviously with more longer rides under your belt then you'll ride it more comfortably but you don't need a training plan.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    You don't need a training plan for cycles like that but setting goals and milestones will help you become fit and stay fit for the event. Like setting a certain amount of distance for each month and how long your rides will be each week working up to a distance greater than the event so your ready for any surprises.

If you have a turbo try the Sufferfest videos ( http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/ ) there pretty good, there was a small bit in last months Cycling Plus about intervals helping with distance if you don't have the mag it will probably be up on the bikeradar site before too long. For what your doing Angles of Fight Club would probably be best. They are a cheap effective way of structuring your turbo sessions during the bad weather conditions.
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    When the snow and ice go away just get out on your bike and do a ride for a few hours. Then add 10 more miles the next time you're out and keep increasing it every so often until you're at about 110 miles.

You've probably got the fitness to do the ride already but for the sake of your knees it's best to ease into longer distances just to be sure.

If I were you I'd set myself a time as a goal otherwise the motivation to get out might wane a bit.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Thanks everyone for responses so far, glad to hear I'm halfway there.

I don't have a turbo trainer but I'm commuting most weeks once or twice even with the weather as it as the moment. Sounds like, even though I could probably do it tomorrow, I should at least get used to the extended time in the saddle and toughen up my knees.

So reckon I need to factor in a bunch of longer & longer rides at the weekend from the spring onwards.

Thanks again!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Training is easy for the Dunwich, just learn to ride a cool looking retro fixie at night with no lights. :wink:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Try and do 20 miles one weekend, then 30, then 40 etc

Maybe go out at midnight a couple of times and do a loop out into the dark quiet streets and lanes

No need to start now, wait until it's better weather in spring
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    I think you are right not to set yourself a time goal for DD. In fact I did it a few years ago and you are better off taking longer or else you'll be stuck on a beach at 3am with no way to get home until transport starts up again (unless you have a lift home sorted!)
  • The dun run is supposed to be fun - I wouldn't train for it too much, just make sure you have a nap on the Saturday afternoon! A lot of people ride it without ever having done a distance ride before - its not a race so you will get there in the end, even if you need a sleep in a hedge on the way.

A Guardian journalist did it last year and there was an article full of tips that is still probably on their website.

In all seriousness - you will be fine. Someone I know did it drunk last year!
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross