What has cycling done for you?

Comments

• Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    It took my breath away...
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Made me fitter and happier
    Made me richer - only use the car a couple of times a month
    Given us a family hobby
    Made me appreciate the fantastic countryside around the Cotswolds
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    1. Separated shoulder
    2. Inability to ride off road due to jarring of above shoulder.
    3. A permanently empty bank account caused by switching to a road bike, and all the upgrades I *must* have.
    4. A duathlon in March.

Gotta love it.
  • Thanks for all these posts - keep them coming, some really inspirational stuff. And Gaz, I will be in touch soon - honest!

Rob
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    After arguing with a 4x4 (and losing) i spent 3 weeks in hospital. when i returned home and basically lay on the settee for 9 months the cycling on eurosport genuinely kept me from climbing the walls. my first ever viewing of the TdF and i was hooked.
    before i could walk i was doing "10's" in the hospital gym.

anyway 4 ops and many heroic tales later :roll: im getting stronger i was coming from a long way back i had some serious stick thin legs. now im doing it for real up to 30 miles every other day(not very fast yet)

on a day of miserable weather, dark clouds hanging low something very small like a bright spot on the horizon, or a buzzard flying alongside makes me glad to be alive.

cycling gives me that feeling Glad To Be Alive :)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    It's done nothing much 'cept everything.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    It gives me an escape from the stresses of daily life :D
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    In 1994 I developed mental health problems, OCD coupled with paranoid delusions. Back then I had very little to hang on to accept riding my Mountain Bike. I found that every time I went out I wouldn't think too much about the bad thoughts, and when I got home I'd feel much much better. Sadly I did degenerate because the price of bike parts coupled with my inability to hold down a job meant I couldn't do the sport I loved. I lapsed and spent a good number of years fighting to keep my sanity.

In 2009 my Father gave me a shed of a road bike, an old Ribble with mostly Campag components and I started riding again. It was hard because I had gained a good 7 stone up to an impressively bad 20 stone, anything upwards or flat was very hard. I dropped from that down to just over 12 stone yet my diet was still the same, except I wasn't sat in the house trying to control my thoughts.

The mental health issues are still ongoing but last year I bought my first 'proper' bike as new, and started taking it a little more seriously. It's still a struggle to pay out for new items, usually tyres which tend to be around £10.50 for some puncture resistant ones but I manage. Without cycling I would have gained a lot more weight and likely would have been dead not long after from suicide.

When I ride through town I pity those people in their metal boxes, nashing their teeth and screaming abuse at other drivers. Cycling makes me feel free, unrestrained and in control of my own way in life.
  • mattshrops
    Bunneh thats worth reading. good on you. keep the faith :D
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    edited February 2011
    deleted by DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Been thinking about what to write here....apart from many of the above comments it has given me one other thing....consitency.

I have spent the biggest part of my working career travelling and although I would not have changed that for the world, sometimes the constant newness of life can be a little daunting and frustrating. The longest I have ever stayed in one country was 3 and half years, in Indonesia over, an 18 year career.

But, everywhere I have been, I have had a bike. Road, mountain, old wreck....I have had a bike.

It means I can get out, I can find out about my suroundings, I can meet people I would never have met otherwise. It also means I get to know (often better than the locals) the real country where I live.

It has also meant I am not just another visitor, taker, consultant, expat, boozer, pin striped, blending in white man/british man/ man......whatever. I am different. The locals see me coming to the office, freezing, roasting, sweating soaking and they think......I'll have a chat to him.....and they do and they get to know me and I like that.

For me, cycling is not something I am great at, I still carry too much weight and I'm not as fast as I should be, but I can tell you the price of an inner tube in 4 continents and I know where to get a wheel trued in more countries than most...and that keeps me grounded, keeps me sane and I like that.

It also gives my kids the type of father they deserve, it makes them realise that the world is smaller than it looks and that people are so different and so the same wherever we go, 'cause they see their daft dad obsessing over the silliest of bike components, he does not need, with other cyclists, shop owners or friends, wherever he is....and guess what they all got for christmas.....shiny new bikes, so they can share the same experience.....and I really like that.They don't sit at home scared of the world....they get out, cause I do and they meet more people and they are healthy and happy.

So for me its consistancy and also a catalyst for a better approach to life in general - an appreciation for the outdoors and the removal of the fear of the new, which in turn my kids inherit....all good stuff!

I have read all this thread and I am truely impressed by the courage, the determination and the human spirit that so many have portrayed on here.......I really do salute you all......I have not had to deal with most of these setbacks in my life, but if the worst happens and I do have to....I will have my bike and I will return here for inspiration from like minded souls with a common bi-wheel fixation......

Cheers 8)
  • mattshrops
    enjoyed that :)
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Can't compete with the above moving stories ....

Lost 2 stone

Won a bike thanks to cycling plus ( @ Rob Spedding do you happen to know when we are of to Switzerlan?)

Helped me keep my stress under control

Found a hobby I've stuck at ..... Previous sports and musical equipment now sold to pay for kit :)
  • I took a 'Cardiac Ultrasound'.the result...
    I am 53yrs old.I have the heart of a 32yr old.
    blood sugar-ideal.good cholesteral,bad cholesteral,
    tri-glyceridesall ideal.
    eats well--bad.too much salt,too much red meat.
    but,excercise triumphs...

I dont race,I tour.7 months of the year,I ride Sunday morning.
    working my way up to 80 miles (115 k )
    17miles per hour..

32 yr old heart! at 53 yrs of age
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    angry girlfriends and hospitlisation stand out as high points.

rest of it is just bad memories
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Posted on behalf of the the non IT literate DieselDog :lol:

You have HOW MANY bikes?? A journey that started a few years ago and still goes on.
    Part 1
    So, it started in the pub, like a lot of “good” ideas, a slightly tipsy conversation with someone you vaguely know.
    You over hear him saying what a great ride he had around Rutland Water and you offer to join him the following weekend.
    Fast forward one week and you borrow a BSO, (bike shaped object), and try you level best to complete the circuit, not the full 26 miles of mainly traffic free cycling, just the 17 leaving out the peninsular. So you have to stop several times to push said BSO up the “hills”, but hey, you get round in about one piece. It was really nice, so the dates were set to do the same the following weekend.
    This then turns out to be a weekly event, the same place, the same time using the same borrowed BSO. Then you catch “it”. The bug. It has you in its vice like grip and there is no escape! There is only one solution, a trip to LBSand a chat with the sales guys.
    You say what riding you’re currently doing, (busting a lung and falling off the back around the water mainly) and various options are offered. Do you want a hard tail or full suspension?
    Well, a hard tail is perfectly acceptable for the local terrain, maybe a Kona Cindercone, that looks nice, it runs a Shimano Deore groupset and brakes, FSA cranks, and Rockshox forks so all really good solid and reliable components, plus it has mechanical disc brakes! Bargain!
    But then you have a look at the full suspension options, there are loads of them, the one which catches the eye though is the Giant Warp DS2, a bit of a beast of a bike for its time, it runs a similar set up to the Kona yet has the advantage of being full suspension should you wish to venture further than the shores of Rutland Water. So the Giant it is. And many happy hours follow, out in the sun, the rain and even the snow.

Yes the “bug” has really got you.

Part 2
    Then comes the second bite from that “bug”. You fancy something different, a different style of riding, you want a road bike. Well it makes sense doesn’t it? After all, you can’t really take to Rutland’s fine roads on a heavy full suspension MTB can you? You’d look a bit of an idiot in lycra on one wouldn’t you?
    So the first thing to do is offer a logical reason to your other half, the reason stated above. You get the okay as at this point in your riding you only have one bike and for two disciplines you need two bikes.
    Off to LBS once again and there are many bikes to choose from. Do you go carbon or aluminium? Well, as you are very much in the early stages of riding carbon would be a bit daft really so aluminium is the obvious choice.
    The Scott Speedster looks like it will suit your needs nicely, for the money you get a good solid frame and a decent shimano groupset, Alex R 500 rims and shimano hubs. It rides really nicely as well.
    So, purchase made you’re off onto the road and the miles get eaten away fairly quickly. Not many at first granted, after all, you’re new to this biking lark. At first its little rides of 20 miles, then 30, then 40, then your first milestone ride! A full 50! Now you’ve done that, you start setting yourself targets.
    You’ve only been riding for a few months yet you want to do the golden 100 miles, your cycling buddy who has been riding for years says that you should be able to do it within a year. A year?! No way, you’ll beat that, and so the training starts, the long and regular rides, commuting to work instead of using the car, going the long way home. Sure you have a partner but they’re behind you in your quest for miles and within 6 months you’ve achieved your goal. Sure it hurt a bit but it was worth it just so you can say you’ve ridden 100 miles in a day! But you need another challenge, and another bike.

Part 3
    Now, this “bug”, once it’s got you it has a tendency to keep biting. You see the thing with this cycling thing is that it leads you to bigger and better things. It’s not just the fitness, the weight loss, (and by this point you’ve lost 2 stone in weight and are looking pretty damn good!), it makes you feel good about yourself. When you’re out on the bike you don’t think of anything else except your riding, your cadence your heart rate and how the heck you’re going to get up Burrough on the Hill, and it’s not called that for nothing either!
    Once again you find that you need to set yourself a challenge, you could do London to Brighton but now you’re regularly riding 100 mile rides that seems a bit tame. So there’s only one thing for it really, the ultimate cyclists challenge, it’s time to start training for Lands end to John O Groats, or what is more commonly known in cycling circles as LEJOG.
    So, bear in mind that by this point you’ve only been riding for 18 months, the furthest you’ve ridden in a day is just over 100 miles, and LEJOG is a long way.
    Many people do this challenge, some take their time, maybe a couple of weeks, but no, you like a challenge and decide on a week.
    Not only do you decide you’ll ride within a week, you also decide to take the long way, the West Coast and throw in Arran and Skye just for good measure.
    However, this brings with it a new dilemma. Your beloved Speedster is nice, but it’s aluminium, a bit “heavy” for such a challenge. You need something lighter, with a little bit of forgiveness, a better set up, finer components, something shiny. But how do you justify it to your partner who has always been so supportive, will this be one bike too far?

Part 4.
    So the date is set for LEJOG. The sponsorship forms completed, a local charity and Make A Wish Foundation. People are being very generous with their sponsoring, but one person says, you’ll never do it, not in 7 days, you haven’t been riding long enough, and that bike?
    Well there you go, the Gods have smiled upon you, there is your reason for another, better, bike. What further justification do you really need? The Speedster is tired, she’ll never cope. And neither will your bum. So it’s off to good old LBSagain.
    They know you by name now, they make you tea. They show you shiny stuff and you’re in your element.
    But the choices are mind boggling, it’s handy that the sales staff are so knowledgeable, they know what they’re talking about and they can find you the right bike. They don’t try and oversell either. If the bikes not right for you they tell you. You tell them of your challenge and straight away they lead you to two bikes, a Specialized Roubaix and a Giant Defy Advanced.
    Both would suit your needs, both are around the same price. The Specialized runs with a Shimano 105 set up, STI flight deck compatible shifters too, Mavic Open Sport wheels with the added bonus of Zertz inserts for that little bit of softening.
    The Defy runs with the same components as the Roubaix, there really is not much in it but the riding you’re going to be doing you need the extra comfort so the Specialized wins with the Zertz inserts so the purchase is made and it’s now time for some serious training.
    LEJOG completed in 7 days despite missing the ferry from Arran back to the main land and having to cycle over 100 miles when you finally hit dry land at just gone 4 o’clock, reaching that days destination at gone 10.30, you then wonder what your next challenge will be.
    Why not try a bit of racing?
    Well, you see the thing is, as much as you love your Speedster, it’s too heavy right? Well, you have the Specialized right? Well yes, but, (and you use the word but an awful lot now), it’s not really a racing bike is it? You’d need to change the wheels for a start and they don’t come cheap do they? No, you need another bike, that’s what you need, something lighter, a better set up, something faster.
    But can you convince your partner that racing is the way forwards and you need another bike?

Part 5
    So you’ve decided to try your hand at racing and require another bike to add to the stables. Now this time it doesn’t involve a trip to LBSto see the sales boys, no this time it’s different. You see at the LBS they do demo days so you decide to visit, Scott are there this day and they do the lovely Addict don’t they? And look, the rep has got his there! Well what a coincidence, and before you know it you’re off on a test ride.
    Well, now this takes riding to another level, it’s fast, it’s smooth, it’s light, it’s what you would expect with Shimano Dura-Ace gears and Mavic Ksyrium ES limited edition wheels, you’re in bike heaven. This is a good as it gets.
    And once again the Gods are looking down on you and smiling, you love this bike, it’s just so “you”, you connect, you’re part of each other and by some small miracle you just happen to know someone with one for sale. Lady Luck is on your side, you can justify your new bike now you see as it’s technically second hand, even though according to the Shimano Flight Deck it’s only done 72 miles. Some people do not deserve to own such a masterpiece do they? That’s another good reason to make another purchase isn’t it? She’s wasted in her current home, you’ve got to rescue her right?
    One more bike added to the collection and the season’s road racing starts to get under way, you’re training hard and the results are looking good. You’re doing sportives as well, they’re good fun, but something just isn’t clicking, road racing just isn’t doing it for you, why not try time trials?
    So, time trial is the way forwards, (noticing a pattern here?), the Addict is the right bike for the job all you need to do is to add some aero bars and you’re away, you don’t need another bike do you? You have your Scott Speedster as your winter hack, your Specialized Roubaix as your summer road bike, your Addict R2 can be set up as your time trial bike and finally there’s your Giant Warp D2 for the off road fun.
    You’re set up for life. So aero bars are bought and fitted, your position finely tuned and you start to compete in earnest. You’re setting new personal best times each and every time you’re out, you’re winning money at this game.
    But, just think, if you’re this good on a road bike, what would you be like on a “proper” time trial bike?

Part 6.
    Now this justification process is by now second nature, you know what to say. The results from last years season speak for themselves, you were earning money, that could go towards the new bike couldn’t it? The set up on a proper time trial bike would be better for you physically right? They’re designed specifically for you to achieve the most efficient aero dynamic position ever!
    And once again we’re back at the LBS, the salesman is smiling, you swear you can see him rubbing his hands, but maybe it’s a bit chilly, the kettles on and you’re off to look at shiny stuff.
    Time trial bikes are a special thing, something you need to think about, try out, and luckily for you they now know you so well that they’re happy for you to take a spin on a Moda Interval. What a thing of beauty she is, the sleek design, the LDC high performance carbon and race proven components, you’re going to fly on this! She has Sram Rival groupset, American Classic Carbon 58 Clincher wheels, and a switch pitch system so you can move the saddle to get your optimum riding position.
    Another steed to the ever growing stable and another season time trialling awaits. This is one bike you’re going to impress on, the personal bests will drop by minutes not seconds, you’ll be quid’s in, this bike is going to pay for itself in a season!
    You can train on the Speedster in the winter when it’s pouring with rain or the roads have been gritted, use the Roubaix when it’s dry and use the Addict R2 in the summer and save the Interval for time trials. You’ve really got this cycling nailed.
    There can’t be another bike needed surely? You have one for each and every discipline you do, you really don’t need another one. Even you, with your smooth talking couldn’t possibly be able to justify yet another bike could you?
    Well, there’s your training to consider, you know, there’s different kinds of training to help you be faster, fitter and better. Single speed! That’s it! The missing bike.

Part 7.
    Now, by this point in your cycling “hobby”, (and use the term loosely it really is more of an obsession), you don’t have to justify the need for another bike to your partner, they’ve given up caring, they probably wouldn’t even notice another bike anyway. When questioned you would simply say “that bike? Oh I’ve had that one ages, you have seen it before. Are you going a little senile in your old age?”
    After you have recovered from whatever punishment was, in your eyes quite unjustifiably, thrown your way you start to look for the illusive missing bike, the single speed or fixie as they’re also known. And once again out pops good old Lady Luck. A friend is selling a very retro Colnago frame, it will make the perfect single speed.
    Yes she needs a little work , (like wheels, do you fixed or have a flip flop hub? Oh the choices you have to make), and a complete build but this is a project, something you haven’t done before, it will give you vital experience and knowledge so that you can maintain your own bikes and be able to justify (that word again) the reasons why you bought a Fat Spanner work stand and a shed full of Park Tools.
    This lady is going to be a long term project, the frame needs re-spraying, lots of shiny retro components need to be purchased from your very close friends at Rutland Cycling. But you need to get out and ride this beauty, you need the training for your time trials. And she’s the right bike for commuting to work.
    That said, there are the Wednesday night rides around Rutland Water to think about again, and, oh dear. The Giant Warp is looking very tired, needs a lot of work, new chainset, bottom bracket, brakes. That’s an awful lot of work even for you, maybe, just maybe one more bike?

Part 8.
    You once again find yourself on auto pilot to Rutland Water. They have some really good deals on at the moment. They make you tea, at this rate they’ll be giving you cakes and chocolates as well. Again you’re faced with the full suspension or hard tail question. You have to cast your mind back to when you acquired your first bike, the Giant, the bike that started you on this epic journey.
    For once though, you know what you need. You never took the Giant any further than Rutland, you never really tested the full suspension capabilities she had. So a hard tail is the obvious option. But which one? There are so many to choose from its impossible.
    Well, logic kind of kicks in, you have the following bikes: a Giant, a Specialized, two Scotts, a Moda and a Colnago so it makes sense to try a different brand. Why not try Kona? You have the Blast, Blast Deluxe, Cindercone and Fire Mountain in your price range.
    However, the one that really grabs your eye is the Cindercone, it ticks all your boxes, good sturdy aluminium butted frame, Rock Shox Tora SL forks, FSA crank arms, Shimano derailleur’s and Alex DP17 rims, a lot of good quality kit for the money.
    And once again you find yourself parting with your hard earned cash, satisfied that finally, just finally you have every single possible bike you could ever possibly need.
    You have:
    The Giant Warp. You never know, you may just restore it so you may as well keep it.
    The Scot Speedster. Your winter winter hack.
    The Specialized Roubaix. Your winter hack.
    The Scott Addict R2. Your summer road bike.
    The Moda Interval. Your time trial pride and joy, the one you kiss good night.
    The Colnago Single Speed. Your training bike and restoration project.
    The Kona Cindercone. Your Wednesday night steed.
    So you’re sorted right? But, what about having a dabble at downhill or kicking a few tricks?
    Well maybe, just maybe.
    One more bike?
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • DIESELDOG
    ta

thats all

DD

• mattshrops
    wow what time scale was that over DD?
  • Flasheart
    mattshrops wrote:

DD Can't log in but am on the phone to her atm...

Bike thing started in 2007
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
  • DIESELDOG
    Flasheart wrote:
    mattshrops wrote:

lejog was 2007 so i guess about 2006 maybe 2005 dunno.

DD

edit. lost count :)

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Flasheart wrote:
    mattshrops wrote:

DD

ps just to clarify, I'm not the cyclist. That's all.

DD

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Flasheart wrote:
    mattshrops wrote:

DD

ps just to clarify, I'm not the cyclist. That's all.

DD

Also to clarify, you are not the cyclist referred to in the 3000 word long post?
  • DIESELDOG
    correct I just have the ability to waffle about what I witnessed thats all!

love n hugs

DD

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Maybe you can start a new thread.

What has cycling done for someone you once met / imagined?

Interesting story though. Perhaps you can get your scribe to collate all your imaginings into a book.

Should probably put a smiley in here but I don't use them.
  • Flasheart
    jim453 wrote:
    Maybe you can start a new thread.

What has cycling done for someone you once met / imagined?

Interesting story though. Perhaps you can get your scribe to collate all your imaginings into a book.

Should probably put a smiley in here but I don't use them.

DD's post was referring to her husband's efforts. Although they are no longer together she was there through the thick & thin of it as anyone else's wife/husband/partner would have been over all those years.The perspective of someone other than the person doing all the work and effort but being the supportive person in the background that keeps them going REALLY has got to be taken into account IMHO

Edit: F1 drivers would be f**ed without the pitcrew backing them up!
    FCN3
  • DIESELDOG
    Thanks Flash.

For the support,my rock you star you!!

love n hugs

DD

• mattshrops
    Was going to post something like "how the hell did you get away with that" glad i didnt now oh....er

bugger :lol:
  • DIESELDOG
    mattshrops wrote:
    Was going to post something like "how the hell did you get away with that" glad i didnt now oh....er

bugger :lol:

Now you know all the "justifications" you ever need.

I forgot to mention the "sweetners", my MTB, plus road and MTB for another.

Love n hugs

DD

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Took up seriously aged 45!! If only I had found the sport at an earlier age. But still it helps to keep me fit, reduces my stress levels and gets me out into the great outdoors and eats into my spare cash on lovely biking bits and pieces (am I bothered? NO).
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    it got me pretty fit again so i can give all them wipper snappers a good pasting on the chaingang....