What has cycling done for you?

rob_spedding
rob_spedding Posts: 442
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Has it helped you lose a ton of weight? Made you a British champion? Found you a wife/husband? Aided your recovery from an illness? I'd love to hear your staories of just why riding a road bike is so darned good!
Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    apart from the weight loss, the friendships, the regular exercise, the competition, the expense, the long hours on the bike, the club trophies, the broken collar bone and the permanent nerve damage in my right thigh - it's done absolutely nothing for me.....
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Due to a problem with my joints, if I didn't cycle, I wouldn't be able to walk. Staying out of a wheelchair seems like a pretty good reason to ride.
  • It stopped me and continues to stop me going mad!!

Its a release and an escape from everyday life, that include works, finance kids etc etc.

I havent ridden for 3 weeks and I feel stressed and anxious. I know from previous experience its more than a coincidence.

Besides that it helps maintain my weight. Im not finding it very good for losing weight, Im turning to running for that.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's given me a reason to live. WIthout cycling, I would be lost.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Sadly, my family tree is littered with abusive alcoholics. Cycling has allowed not to be like that. I've managed to focus my addictive tendancies into bits of Italian carbon fibre rather than what's on the shelves at Threshers.

A bit Jeremy Kyle I know, sorry...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Roads, aqueducts, a legal system.....

Oh, hang on; that was the Romans...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    It has given me freedom of the open road.
    bagpuss
  • A way of life
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • The sex is better :D
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    It's absorbed all the cash that should have been spent on a new kitchen, carpets, decorating ... and I don't care :-)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    What’s cycling done for me? It’s a tricky one this, it’s done a lot for me, aside from the health and fitness and the sense of wellbeing after a hard ride, and much of it is difficult to define.

It’s kept my sanity when I was in a job that I hated, but was unable to get out of. Commuting home after a bad day and blasting down the road got rid of all the pent-up frustration and anger. When unemployed, a couple of bananas, a sandwich and a bottle of water got me out and about rather than wallowing in the self-pitying misery of my poverty stricken situation (I’d been unemployed before and detested it).

Cycling’s shown me that my limitations are all in my mind and seemingly impossible things are achievable by mere mortals. When I returned to cycling my legs would lock up after only 2 ½ miles and the hill down the road was like a cliff. The 12 mile e/w commute was surely a stupid idea, yet within months it was straightforward and I was freewheeling over the hill at 17 mph. Likewise, cycling over to see my family in Fife was seemingly an insane idea. I didn’t even need the B &B money that I took with me. It culminated with my trans-continental Canada tour. When I mentioned the ride to folk that I looked up to as far more capable and fitter than me, you could see in their eyes that they thought that I was clearly bonkers, and I wasn’t so sure that they were wrong. They were. The whole process of researching bikes, equipment and the training taught me that my dreams aren’t necessarily out of reach if I’m prepared to be persistent, patient and put in the effort. And take the first step and get off my arse!

Canada also changed my perception of distance and the size of the world. One of my fellow cyclists had been highlighting each day’s ride on a map and we were 2/3rds across when I saw it. At that moment Canada shrunk in my mind. It can’t be that big if you can cycle across it, right? The planet is now comprehensively finite.

Christ, I could go on and on. I’ll leave out my thoughts on cycling as a philosophy and metaphor for life as my fingers are starting to bleed from all this typing. Suffice to say that cycling’s had a profound effect.

Apologies for all this introspective waffling; I’ll be back to posting my usual shite shortly.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's helped me to raise over £600 for WaterAid!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12745594

(but caused me to spend thousands on stuff :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It got me through the aftermath of testicular cancer and dealing with remission.
    It has got me the fittest I have ever been.
    It has kept me sane through troubled times at work and family.
    It has given me a sense of belonging to a group of people on exactly the same agenda.
    It has produced some of the most exciting times ever when competing ot taking part in events.
    It gives me kudos when I tell people how far I can go and how fast and see the reaction.
    It has given me pride and a feeling of self worth again.
    It keeps me sane and balanced.

I love my bike and I love cycling.
  • Apart from the fitness/health benefits the main thing I get from cycling is occupation. I was already a happy cyclist when I was made redundant, so filling up the hours with extra riding was no problem for me. It also lifted a burden off Mrs SG as I was not moping about the house getting in her way and spoiling the pattern of her life.

When not riding I spend time on this forum plus planning rides, plotting new stuff to aquire and drifting along in a two wheled dream. There are plenty of other things happening but cycling soaks up the spare time which would otherwise lie heavy on me and the missus.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Pokerface wrote:
    It's given me a reason to live. WIthout cycling, I would be lost.

+1 :D
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'd be a fat GTA addict without cycling.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    It gets me to work, and it gets me to work.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    It made me commute to work by bike then took me to places of interest and gave me long days out. It took me to the Alps and changed my life when I found I could cycle up them and was stunned by their grandeur. I've spent ridiculous amounts on bikes/accessories,met some fantastic/odd people who love the same thing I do and I met my partner thro'cycling and thro' her gave me a new life.
    M.Rushton
  • A man needs a passion. It doesn't matter what it is. Mine is cycling. It couldn't be anything else.
  • Most of the the things Crapaud said, plus it has emptied my wallet continously. I think exercise per se provides all of the health and mind benefits, cycling is just one form of it. I do it because it is the sport I am least bad at.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Difficult to say as I've always had a bike.
    Since I was about 4-5, there's never been a period in my life when I've not had a bike, so I've got nothing to reference it against. Cycling may have done a lot, it may not...... who's to know ?

Oh, I do have a lot of scars on my legs from mountain biking !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bookwormhk
    bookwormhk Posts: 33
    edited September 2011
    A life style so perfect and eco-friendly. The fitness, the adrenaline rush and the enjoyment.

Until I was run over by a careless dirver. How sad.
  • bookwormhk wrote:
    A life style so perfect and eco-friendly. The fitness, the adrenaline rush and the enjoyment.

Until I was run over by a jeep which blocked my lane. How sad.

It's not how I see it! Personally if it wasn't for a competitive nature and racing I wouldn't bother - riding outdoors on the road in the winter is really about as much fun as cutting your arm off. It's training or nothing for me sadly.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    The sex is better :D

You must have a big bed to fit a bike next to you. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Interesting how the mental benefits are espoused here, more than the physical.

Is the same for me.
  • It's cost me a fortune, broken one of my legs, and nearly stopped me taking my driving test, but I wouldn't give up this amazing sport and hobby for anything!
    "That doesn't look like a foot"......thought the sock.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Emptied my savings on more than one occasion.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    It’s lightened my wallet.
    It’s partly to blame for the muscle damage on my right thigh and numerous scars on my chins and knees.
    It’s given me the capacity to pay back the Cleft Lip and Pallet people that helped my Son with his disfigurement.
    It’s been an ally in the fight against the mid-life crisis and weight gain ;-)
    It’s provided many great adventures, thrills and spills.

I intend cycle through everything.
  • Helped me get over a terrible illness (overactive adrenaline gland)
    Helps me from going totally insane on a daily basis
    Makes me feel bad when I dont ride
    Just about makes work bearable
    Gives me something to look on the internet
    allows me to wear Lycra! haha
    makes me lust after expensive bikes
    taught me about science!
    that will do for now!
  • it makes me happy & means I'm starting the day without a caffeine kick, it brought me back from a terrible place when my son was really poorly and I was losing the plot when not around him and it allows me to eat and drink what I like without balooning.

It gives me at least an hour a day with me & for me, and that makes me a much nicer person when everyone and everything else comes demanding their bits of me.