Rage and fury on a cycling forum

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
So, current hot topics on here are people getting in a huff about the rights and wrongs of the student protests and the subsequent civil disturbances, a relatively harmless attack on some "famous" people's car and DDD's inability to keep a lid on his hormones*.

FFS, what is going on? There was a time when the most heated we ever got was about helmets good vs. bad, "hybrids are evil", etc.

I come on here for a bit of light relief (eww!) and now I end up with my blood pressure raised, driven to write angry responses because of some of the spiteful and poisonous things people are posting.

Come on, people, if you want a furious debate go and find a political forum. Can we stay vaguely on topic on here? :(

* (no disrespect intended)

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd almost agree, but it's winter, the cycling side drops off and it gets a bit errr run of the mill from time to time. And once you've been here for a year or so everything's been said pretty much. Or praps that's just me.

Maybe we need a General Discussion sub-forum, like DigitalSpy used to have. Probably still does, but I can't be ar$ed to take a look. Altho I do recall seeing the name SailorChick on there when they had a cycling thread - a prize to anyone who can guess which way it degenerated. SailorChick said on the Usernames thread on here that she uses it across many fora [and fauna too I epxect].

Sorry. What was the question? Yeah. It's a bit too heated sometimes. It's more annoying to see people who are wrong continuing to post their opinions that don't tally with mine though TBH.

<runs for cover...>
    :wink:
  • Doesn't the discussion in the forum simply reflect what's going on in the outside world at the moment?

PS: another forum split is a bad idea. We already have one graveyard from the last split. Another split will only create another graveyard. AFAIK, the riots are fair game in here, because I had to run a giant detour last night to avoid the closed roads. FFS, bloody selfish students! If they just knuckled down and realised they're in as strong a position as King Canute, I would have been home on time.

String 'em up, that's what I say.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I blame helmet cams.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    SecretSam wrote:
    a relatively harmless attack on some "famous" people's car

Not quite how I would put an attack on the heir to the thrones car that ended up with a bullet proof window being cracked, harmless, well they weren't hurt but was that luck or the protection officers getting them away.

The police commisioner inferred that the students were lucky that the protection officers some of whom were armed showed incredible restraint not to open fire especially as shouts of off with their heads were shouted during the attack.

Sorry I don't see it as trivial or harmless.

That will be my first and last post on your thread, sorry.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I just don't read half those kind of threads. If I'm really bored or curious I'll take a peek but generally I just don't bother.
  • Sorry I don't see it as trivial or harmless.
    I know you said it was your first and last post so probably won't be getting an answer, but in what way was it not trivial or harmless?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What the hell have I done wrong... :cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    If decent titles are given to posts then it is easy to skip the topics that you aren't interested in. It is the cryptic or one word titles that are a pest, but people seem to do it as marketing for their issue.
  • I think you've maybe missed the title of the forum?

" Commuting Chat
    Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!"

It's a general chat forum for those of us with an overlapping life choice.

You don't need another sub-forum, this one is doing what is written on the tin.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I think that was your shortest ever post :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I don't read the lid though, I just leave the tin open and barge straight in to the most enticing-looking biscuits that I might care to take a nibble on, leaving the custard creams and broken ginger nuts well alone.

Welcome to my Empororium Of Tortured Metaphors. Firefox. s/c straight to this place. That's what I meant to say.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    So, current hot topics on here are people getting in a huff about the rights and wrongs of the student protests and the subsequent civil disturbances, a relatively harmless attack on some "famous" people's car and DDD's inability to keep a lid on his hormones*.

FFS, what is going on? There was a time when the most heated we ever got was about helmets good vs. bad, "hybrids are evil", etc.

I come on here for a bit of light relief (eww!) and now I end up with my blood pressure raised, driven to write angry responses because of some of the spiteful and poisonous things people are posting.

Come on, people, if you want a furious debate go and find a political forum. Can we stay vaguely on topic on here? :(

* (no disrespect intended)

The split into chat and general was in response to just this sort of complaint. General is where you'll find the bicycle controversy you want, sat on its own humming quietly. There's been enough splitting IMO and TBH I don't think any of us have the right to be trying to impose censorship of topics.

Cake Stop fits the bill for this sort of stuff but people seem to be a bit territorial in where they go to on the wider forum
  • secretsam
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry, DDD, didn't mean to upset you! How's the Iron Lady's pins today?

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    No worries.

I'm keeping a low profile today. I'm starting to creep myself out.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    CiB wrote:
    I don't read the lid though, I just leave the tin open and barge straight in to the most enticing-looking biscuits that I might care to take a nibble on, leaving the custard creams and broken ginger nuts well alone.

Welcome to my Empororium Of Tortured Metaphors. Firefox. s/c straight to this place. That's what I meant to say.

That's where we're going wrong - I love custard creams
  • secretsam
    The split into chat and general was in response to just this sort of complaint. General is where you'll find the bicycle controversy you want, sat on its own humming quietly. There's been enough splitting IMO and TBH I don't think any of us have the right to be trying to impose censorship of topics.

Cake Stop fits the bill for this sort of stuff but people seem to be a bit territorial in where they go to on the wider forum

Fair enough, but there's a lot of anger on here. And I never liked the split, didn't see the point, ironically - I quite liked the old mix of relevant and irrelevant*. Having a whole forum dedicted to "should a I buy a Trek and pretend I'm Lance (minus the drugs)?" would be dull. Which is why no-one goes on there.

And I wasn't asking for censorship, just a little less anger - the last thing I need is more anger (see my footer thingy at the bottom of my posts).

And Cake Stop is just too Roadie-centric. I'm a pariah on there because NONE of my tyres are less than 28c section.

* I appreciate that I may be shooting down my own argument here

• CiB wrote:
    I
    Maybe we need a General Discussion sub-forum, like DigitalSpy used to have. Probably still does, but I can't be ar$ed to take a look. Altho I do recall seeing the name SailorChick on there when they had a cycling thread - a prize to anyone who can guess which way it degenerated. SailorChick said on the Usernames thread on here that she uses it across many fora [and fauna too I epxect].

<runs for cover...>

Not used digitalspy so guess thats another SailorChick. Strangely enough most of the forums I use are either cycling or sailing related.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    SecretSam wrote:
    Fair enough, but there's a lot of anger on here....
    And I wasn't asking for censorship, just a little less anger.....

+1.
    Unfortunately the Ruling Classes work themselves into a frenzy at the merest sniff of a contrary opinion. I blame the gout, it makes them tetchy.

I tend to leave the politics threads well alone.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Well, if I'm feeling too sanguine; I read the Daily Mail at lunchtime and I'm soon in with the foaming mouth brigade

Maybe my posts are becoming too serious?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hey Sam! I reckon you've come up with the perfect title for an up to date homage to Hunter S Thompson! (sucks pencil thoughtfully)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Paul E wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    a relatively harmless attack on some "famous" people's car

Not quite how I would put an attack on the heir to the thrones car that ended up with a bullet proof window being cracked, harmless, well they weren't hurt but was that luck or the protection officers getting them away.

The police commisioner inferred that the students were lucky that the protection officers some of whom were armed showed incredible restraint not to open fire especially as shouts of off with their heads were shouted during the attack.

Sorry I don't see it as trivial or harmless.

That will be my first and last post on your thread, sorry.

It was relatively harmless. "Relatively" being a relative term. And maybe not trivial, but as far as I'm concerned no more important than if it had been someone else's car.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    @KB don't read the mail, it's bad for the old blood pressure
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CiB wrote:
    I

<runs for cover...>

Not used digitalspy so guess thats another SailorChick. Strangely enough most of the forums I use are either cycling or sailing related.

They'll follow you across many a forum, m'dear... not always for the wrong reasons, i hasten to add...
  • SecretSam wrote:

Fair enough, but there's a lot of anger on here. And I never liked the split, didn't see the point, ironically - I quite liked the old mix of relevant and irrelevant*. Having a whole forum dedicted to "should a I buy a Trek and pretend I'm Lance (minus the drugs)?" would be dull. Which is why no-one goes on there.

And I wasn't asking for censorship, just a little less anger - the last thing I need is more anger (see my footer thingy at the bottom of my posts).

And Cake Stop is just too Roadie-centric. I'm a pariah on there because NONE of my tyres are less than 28c section.

* I appreciate that I may be shooting down my own argument here

Lol, I agree on the split & I get grumpier as I get older and another b/d looms. I really don't notice the roadie centric bit in CS nearly as much as the natural London bias in here and I'm like you, no razor blade tyres either. I think the anger reflects the times we're in and whats affecting people's lives and wallets right now. Maybe its other non BR forums I frequent but the anger and fall outs on here seem very mild to me in comparison to my football one or to CycleChat etc
  • shouldbeinbed, that's because CycleChat is full of all the angry people who left here when we merged all the old magazine forums into BikeRadar.

Do blow them a kiss from us next time you're over there ;)
    John Stevenson
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I had a look at CC and there are a lot of threads along the lines of 'I hit a ped who was't looking where she was going why didn't she see me with all these lights and high viz' or 'A motorist pulled out and forced me to brake why didn't he see me with all these lights and hi viz''. It all gets a bit tiring.

There is a lot of flaming going on here though. Especially in relation to QCs with cameras.
  • ok for SS and against my own argument: I give you

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12746317

got grit in his mangina?
  • ok for SS and against my own argument: I give you

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12746317

got grit in his mangina?

Though to be fair.... http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12746344

I found the responses to the Martin Porter thread so out of order that I went and registered on Cycle Chat.
  • The BR stuff seems to have calmed down of late. There are still the occasional Troll to point out rhe grammar and spelling failures but the tone is more realxed. The Martin Porter slugfest is just a private squabble among lawyers of many hues. It is the price we pay for an adversarial legal system :roll:

Most of the contributers on here have managed to struggle past puberty.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    I blame wiggle ;)