Puncture-Proof Tyres

2»

Comments

• +1 for marathon + nearly 8000 miles without a puncture and the only tire ive ever used that lasted longer than the rim it was attached to....
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The PO bikes are all on Marathon+, and you don't see posties with a tube and pump......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    hi

i'm going to need some new tyres soon too, i'm a bit of a road tyre novice though and have been using mountain bike knobblies for way too long now!!

it seems like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres are getting a lot of votes but i've had a look and there are lots of different types! as i'm new to the whole road tyre thing which ones should i go for? my commute is all on road but i'd like a bit of grip on the tyre (just to mnake myself feel better really!)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    hi

i'm going to need some new tyres soon too, i'm a bit of a road tyre novice though and have been using mountain bike knobblies for way too long now!!

it seems like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres are getting a lot of votes but i've had a look and there are lots of different types! as i'm new to the whole road tyre thing which ones should i go for? my commute is all on road but i'd like a bit of grip on the tyre (just to mnake myself feel better really!)

For road commuting I use the reflective Marathon plus like these ones. I like the reflective sidewall strips and the puncture proofing seems to really work well.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24542

I've not used the Dureme model but reviews from other people indicated these were 'faster' then the Marathon pluses.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48774

The last couple of days I've been using my knobby tired mountain bike for commuting rather then my usual Marathon shod commuter as I need to replace the chainset on my commuter as its suffered lots of road salt abuse in the last few weeks. The knobbly clad mountain bike feels much less stable at speed cornering in the wet then my normal commuter bike.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • I was getting fed up of punctures too - ended up going for puncture-resistant Continental Gatorskins.

So far so good...
  • Use the reflective Marathons on my commuter (700c cyclocross) and (touch wood) they've been great. They're also good in the wet and seem to grip very well. They do have a reputation for being tricky to fit on some rims - but on the ones I'm currently running, they were fine. I just swapped them for knobbly CX tyres and back a week later with no pain or grief. Recommended.
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)