Puncture-Proof Tyres

ejsmall
ejsmall Posts: 7
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Having had 2 punctures this week cycling to/from work, I feel the need to find some puncture proof tyres!!
I use a mountain bike but for commuting, I need semi-slicks (Schrader 40mm 26x1.75-2.5 ). I have used those gel-filled inner tubes before but after a while they go solid and are difficult to change.
If anyone knows of puncture-proof tyres, please let me know.
It's not good changing tyres in the cold :(
Thanks!

Comments

• 3 RAV
    3 RAV Posts: 15
    Have you tried to search the forum? Didn't think so.

To answer your question I have no idea, but just did a search with the keywords "puncture and proof" (without the quotes) and there are 10 pages of results.

Happy reading. :wink:
  • Yes slime not in the tube, you can get slime plastic! I use it on all my bikes, it goes between the tube and tyre.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228377

Ignore what people say it is simple to install, put tube in, wheel half on then slide slime round and edge in place, complete wheel takes five minutes start to finish.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Not sure what 3 RAVs beef is - we get repeat questions here all the time.

I've been happy with

Maxxis High Roller DH Tyre - Dual Ply - 26 x 2.35 - MaxxPro 60a

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4611

Perhaps try to get the semi-slick version of these? Or simliar
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    You won't get much more puncture proof than Schwalbe Marathon Plus (IMHO). Available in 26 x 1.75 at around £20 a pop!

Rufus.
  • Jeepie wrote:
    I've been happy with

I can see his point, if people looked back before posting they would see that subjects had just been covered and not ask the same question again, again, again, aqgain and again, just check first. Someone said that to me when I first joined now I check first, some people get fed up with the same questions being asked many times oftenjust a few days apart.

Also I do get amazed sometimes by some questions when a simple "google" will answer them, e.g where is the cheapest place to byy xxx, well try pricerunner.

• Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    RufusA wrote:
    You won't get much more puncture proof than Schwalbe Marathon Plus (IMHO). Available in 26 x 1.75 at around £20 a pop!

Rufus.

There's the definitive answer.
    Riding on 531
  • Jeepie wrote:
    I've been happy with

I can see his point, if people looked back before posting they would see that subjects had just been covered and not ask the same question again, again, again, aqgain and again, just check first. Someone said that to me when I first joined now I check first, some people get fed up with the same questions being asked many times oftenjust a few days apart.

Also I do get amazed sometimes by some questions when a simple "google" will answer them, e.g where is the cheapest place to byy xxx, well try pricerunner.

a the search function is never terribly good.

b this part is hardly high traffic if you remove all the what foo should I get you wouldn't have much left to be honest.
  • 3 RAV
    3 RAV Posts: 15
    Jeepie wrote:
    Not sure what 3 RAVs beef is

No beef, just being helpful. The OP is more likely to find a wider variety of answers to his question by using the search function than what will be posted in this thread.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    RufusA wrote:

Rufus.
    Fo sho. They are heavy, but punctures are more or less a memory - only things like nails straight in will spoil it.
  • RufusA wrote:

Rufus.

+1

Absolute pig to fit, but not nearly as slow as some weight weenies would have you believe, I find mine a little slow when pulling away from lights and junctions, but once they're up to speed they roll as well as Gatorskins.
  • Valy
    RufusA wrote:

Rufus.

+1

Absolute pig to fit, but not nearly as slow as some weight weenies would have you believe, I find mine a little slow when pulling away from lights and junctions, but once they're up to speed they roll as well as Gatorskins.
    Did you fit your onto 700cc wheels? I got mine on just fine onto a 26" wheel.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Jeepie wrote:
    I've been happy with

Google is not all it's cracked up to be. I often search google shopping, in search of the cheapest price for something, only to find out that Ribble or somewhere usually has it cheaper. Yet Google missed it.

I've got nothing against repeat posts either. I've got plenty of great advice from threads that I never thought would apply to me.

It's a shame that the OP has 26" wheels. I've just come across a deal where you can get 2x Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tyres in 700x38c for only £20. The offer is on the retailers website. See if you can use Google to find out who it is?
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    Jeepie wrote:
    I've been happy with

Google is not all it's cracked up to be. I often search google shopping, in search of the cheapest price for something, only to find out that Ribble or somewhere usually has it cheaper. Yet Google missed it.

I've got nothing against repeat posts either. I've got plenty of great advice from threads that I never thought would apply to me.

It's a shame that the OP has 26" wheels. I've just come across a deal where you can get 2x Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tyres in 700x38c for only £20. The offer is on the retailers website. See if you can use Google to find out who it is?

Saying "use Google" was a "figure of speech" flew over did that one :?

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Another vote for Schwalbe Marathon plusses. And I agree with the above - they do not roll anywhere near as heavily as some of the weight weenies imagine. THey perform very nicely, thank you, and you can pretty well forget about flats. Put 'em on, take 'em off again when they wear out, some thousands of miles down the track...
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Another vote for Schwalbe Marathon plusses. And I agree with the above - they do not roll anywhere near as heavily as some of the weight weenies imagine. THey perform very nicely, thank you, and you can pretty well forget about flats. Put 'em on, take 'em off again when they wear out, some thousands of miles down the track...

+1

I've got the regular Marathons on one of my bikes. I love the reflective sidewall. It's far more effective than having a reflector in the spokes.

They roll fairly well on the road and they have got enough tread for light off-road use too. They are the tyre of choice for long distance touring.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Another +1 for Marathon plus - I don't even bother taking a tube/pump to work with me any more - and as an added bonus, if you take them down to 20 psi you can ride on snow and ice (to an extent) fairly easily. However, they do feel incredibly slow and they are a PITA to get on.
  • Valy
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Another +1 for Marathon plus - I don't even bother taking a tube/pump to work with me any more - and as an added bonus, if you take them down to 20 psi you can ride on snow and ice (to an extent) fairly easily. However, they do feel incredibly slow and they are a PITA to get on.

You mean the acceleration is slower maybe?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used the marathon + for an offroad route - people on MTBs got flats and even broke bikes. I came through unscathed !
  • What are the Marathons/Marathon Pluses like in terms of grip, esp. in the wet?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Marathon is pretty much the standard commuter tyre for NW Europe, you see them everywhere. I use mine in all conditions and they work well. No doubt you could find a stickier tyre but they tend to wear more quickly.
    The Plus version is really a different tyre, much tougher, a bit heavier and less flexible. The latest version of the Marathon is halfway between.

Marathons are OK for touring as well as commuting, Ive used them on and off road over long distances.
  • Valy
    The grip is quite good, nothing to worry about unless you are planning on doing 90 degree turns at 50 mph. In the wet.
  • Marathon Plus...? Love 'em to death, +1 for all the positive comments already posted. On my commute bike I've noticed no degradation in grip or rolling resistance, the extra weight (and more importantly increased moment of inertia of the wheel) isn't significant compared to the, ah, inertia of the rider (and let's face it, if I was after the last bit of speed, I'd concentrate on my mass and worry less about the bike.....)
    On the rims I've used removal and fitting has always needed tyre levers but I've coped with the standard plastic levers. I'd accept that some rims will be a royal PITA combination with the M+ and need The Great Strength (and metal levers).
    BTW, you can get M+ in MTB tread! (screams from the hardened MTB folk, find this person and wash his mouth out with Slime)
  • +1 for marathon pluses

Spa cycles video on how to fit them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Hoopdriver
    Just fine. I use them on my expedition tourer which doubles as my winter bike. No issues whatever, even on frost-slick roads.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    +1 for marathon pluses

Spa cycles video on how to fit them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

I don't doubt there protection levels but seriously if fitting them is going to be that much of a ball ache that you need a video, cable ties or toes straps and 10 years of cycle mechanics skills then i'd rather and have gone for conti's hard shells, look the same as gaterskins ride like gaterskins but offer bullet proof protection and I can fit them on a dark wet commute, which as we all know is when the PF comes calling.

Regardless of the protection levels don't ignore tyre pressures :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Hoopdriver
    It depends on your rims, I suppose, some being tougher to fit than others, but in my experience Marathon Plusses really are not all THAT hard to fit - just that bit of extra time the first (and probably only) time you instal them. Next time they come off, in all probability, will be when you've worn them out and are replacing them.
  • Marathon + here too. they roll nicely enough for a 'normal' commuter, can cope with all the wet the Manchester edge of the pennines can dump on roads and trails and I've found them to be not particularly harder to get on or off than any other tyres I've used.

+26,000,000 for keeping on top of your tyre pressures too
  • Too bad the Marathon Plus is not a "semi-slick", which was what the OP was asking about.

In mountain bike parlance, a semi-slick is a wide, low-pressure tyre with a smooth centre tread, and nobbles on the outside, adequate for light mud. Unfortunately, the Marathon Plus is useless on any sort of mud.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Not being a mountain biker, would the ATB version of the Marathon Plus not fit the bill:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/64 ... -x-20.html

Rufus.
  • The M+ on my bike do indeed resemble those pictured in the link above. That means a smooth centre tread with nobblies on the outside, which actually work OK in mud (but obviously not as good as a 'proper' mud MTB tyre but hugely better than an all-slick variant)
    And yes, I have ridden them through mud on forest tracks, towpaths etc and so far haven't ground to a halt