Anyone on here - Barrister who films road rage?!

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm currently working at one of the bus companies in London dealing with accidents and claims.
    Cyclists have caused accidents and riden away, safe in the knowledge that with no registration plate, they'll 'get away with it'. .

When did this happen? What was the accident, was the cyclist traced?

Oh please. Give. It. A. Rest.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm currently working at one of the bus companies in London dealing with accidents and claims.
    Cyclists have caused accidents and riden away, safe in the knowledge that with no registration plate, they'll 'get away with it'. .

Reasonable question, I thought. The lack of an answer is telling.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Monkeypump wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Reasonable question, I thought. The lack of an answer is telling.
    Or I'm busy at work and haven't had time to answer.

I'll reply properly when I get a chance. If I can be bothered.

Edit:

I've had a look into one at random and this one in particular was on Tottenham Court Road two weeks ago.
    A bike was overtaking a bus on the outside and cut in front of the bus. The bus driver swerved to the left to avoid taking the cyclist out and hit a parked van. The CCTV backs up the driver's report and the driver should be commended for not killing a cyclist.
    The cyclist hasn't been traced. How do you go about tracing a cyclist? I've never seen a cyclist boldly displaying their name, address and phone number unless they are working e.g. a courier.

You do realise that I could be making this all up, don't you?

MBC, are you one of those people that think all cyclists are in the right all of the time and all motorists are in the wrong and out to kill anyone on two wheels?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Oh what a surprise. No comment from MBC. I guess I was making too much sense. Its rare for me. I may have a little gloat!

• No, I don't think cyclists are always blameless.

You claimed you had inside information on accidents caused by cyclists.

I asked if you had any evidence of this happening, I've never heard of it happening.

You've posted hearsay.

Yes, I am aware you could be making it up. Why didn't the bus driver brake instead of slamming into a van?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    No, I don't think cyclists are always blameless.

You claimed you had inside information on accidents caused by cyclists.

I asked if you had any evidence of this happening, I've never heard of it happening.

You've posted hearsay.

Yes, I am aware you could be making it up. Why didn't the bus driver brake instead of slamming into a van?

Yet again you give great credence to accounts which support your world view and dismiss those which don't
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Well I'm not going to be uploading CCTV footage from work, so forget that.

I may or may not have posted a figment of my imagination. If you want to look into it, have fun. I can think of better things to be doing though.

You, MBC, may not have heard of any accidents caused by cyclists, but is it that hard to imagine it happening? Don't forget, even a handlebar clipping a wing mirror is classed as a collision and should be reported to the police.
    So, hypothetically, if you were cycling and clipped a wing mirror (causing no visible damage), would you stop to give your details to the driver and/or the police, or wave an apology and disappear? Unless you are advertising your contact details, its unlikely you'd be traceable.

The cyclist I may or may not be imagining, may not know about the collision I may or not have made up. Either way, they didn't leave any details and without some serious intervention from the security forces, it is unlikely they will ever be found (if any of this happened).

• I'm happy to give credence to anything more than improbable hearsay.

If I said "Driver are always in the wrong" (which I never have) I'd entirely reasonably be asked for firmer evidence than "I looked it up!"

I think such events are incredibly rare and we need to be careful before following the media by demonising cyclists on hearsay.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Well I'm not going to be uploading CCTV footage from work, so forget that.

Fine.
  • Monkeypump
    Yet another predictable, blinkered response from MBC.

The Wheeled Crusader strikes again. Jeeez......
  • I'm happy to hear of any provable incidents. I'm inviting people to post them!

They are incredibly rare, surely it would be quicker and safer to brake than swerve to the side and hit a van?

With no way of verifying the story it proves nothing either way, and smells fishy to boot.

A London bus driver swerving AWAY from a cyclist? :roll:
  • EKE_38BPM
    I'm a cyclist. I love cycling. I cycle in all weathers. I ride my bikes more than I drive my car. I will always defend cyclists if I think they have been wronged.

Why the hell would I be "follow the media" and "demonise cyclists"?

I'm just saying that sometimes, just sometimes, cyclists are in the wrong.

I've come to the conclusion that MBC is an idiot and will no longer respond to posts from him/her/it (troll).

• Monkeypump
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that MBC is an idiot...

Agreed, 100% (and a delusional crusader to boot)
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...and will no longer respond to posts from him/her/it (troll).

I'll try to resist temptation!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

I've never disputed cyclists can be in the wrong, I've just never heard of an accident caused by one, but you lay your hands on one pretty fast, but it makes no sense, buses don't turn quickly, it would be faster to brake, there's no media report of this incident, is there anything you can post about what happened? maybe if you publiccised the CCTV you could catch the cyclist, that's what normally happens:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -stop.html
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Agreed, 100% (and a delusional crusader to boot)
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...and will no longer respond to posts from him/her/it (troll).

I'll try to resist temptation!

What do you think I've posted that's delusional please?

You could try to cut down on the insults, it really doesn't add anything.

In the vast majority of cyclist/vehicle RTcs it is the driver who is at fault. makes sense when you think about it, cyclists have much more to lose than a scratched bumper.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MBC wrote:
    What do you think I've posted that's delusional please?

This:
    MBC wrote:
    I've never disputed cyclists can be in the wrong, I've just never heard of an accident caused by one
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Excellent, you have an example you can post that isn't secret?
  • DonDaddyD
    Excellent, you have an example you can post that isn't secret?

You what now?

You asked so I responded with something that you've posted that is clearly delusional.

Here I'll do it again:
    MBC wrote:
    I've never disputed cyclists can be in the wrong, I've just never heard of an accident caused by one

It's so stupidly silly, I'm not sure if its trolling or not....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2010
    It is trolling. It's his Friday troll. A bit heavy handed today, though.

ETA: just to make sure the bleedin' obvious isn't overlooked:
    I've just never heard of an accident caused by one
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I've never disputed cyclists can be in the wrong, I've just never heard of an accident caused by one, but you lay your hands on one pretty fast, but it makes no sense, buses don't turn quickly, it would be faster to brake, there's no media report of this incident, is there anything you can post about what happened? maybe if you publiccised the CCTV you could catch the cyclist, that's what normally happens:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -stop.html

Cyclist? He's on a BMX! Bit OT, but bloody hell what a divisive article...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You what now?

You asked so I responded with something that you've posted that is clearly delusional.

Here I'll do it again:
    MBC wrote:

Love it.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

You what now?

Here I'll do it again:
    MBC wrote:

Eke, before he descended into abuse, claimed that cyclists can cause accidents and get away because they are untraceable. You seem to be agreeing with him so I asked if you had any examples.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    It is trolling. It's his Friday troll. A bit heavy handed today, though.

ETA: just to make sure the bleedin' obvious isn't overlooked:
    I've just never heard of an accident caused by one

Take a look at the article, from a source with a long history of demonising cyclists. The cyclist was not blamed for the accident, the cops merely said they want to speak to them. No charges, no further info, and a highly dubious source. Relying on the Mail for FACTS is a bit naive, I was making the point that CCTV footage can be released if a cyclist needs tracing after a RTC as in Eke's mysterious example.

If you believe everything in the Mail I'm not sure you are able to be convinced of anything other than it's all the foreigner's fault.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You what now?

Here I'll do it again:
    MBC wrote:

Eke, before he descended into abuse, claimed that cyclists can cause accidents and get away because they are untraceable. You seem to be agreeing with him so I asked if you had any examples.

Cyclists can cause accidents and can get away.

Asking for evidence of this, doesn't negate the blindingly obvious fact that they can cause accidents and can get away with it.

Equally I'm not going to give any examples because you'll dismiss them as you can't accept any point which isn't your own. You've demonstrated this with your back and forth with EKE.
    Food Chain number = 4

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I'll just give my 2p..

One thing to think about, is what is the cyclist like without the camera? you can say that some of us are confrontational because of the camera, but are we really? I used to speak to drivers if they had done something very stupid and nearly knocked me off. I've done it enough now to know that 99% of the time jack all is going to be learnt by the driver and they will do the same shit again 100m down the road. So thats not something i do now. BUT i did that before i had the camera. And i'll see maybe 3 or 4 cyclists a week talking to drivers about dodgy overtakes etc...

Do i upload every incident? well unless you follow me around then you have no way of knowing. And i can tell you that i let more things fly than i do post but thats my word against your opinion.

As Origamist has said, some of us don't just post about the bad driving, the videos can be used for a number of things, including; learning, campaigning and highlighting issues.

Unless you ride in the same enviroment as the cyclist that films, then it's not fair to say that they go out looking for trouble. Most of my riding is done during rush hour with lots of traffic, each day i must be past and pass nearly 1,000 vehicles. And i only have 1 maybe 2 incidences that i look at and think about uploading.

I'm working on a series at the moment called Silly Cyclists, where i highlight situations where people make mistakes which put them selfs and others in danger. It's getting some good press at the moment and it shows that we don't just target the car drivers.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Eke, before he descended into abuse...

You call it abuse, I call it a statement of fact!

• There must have been quite a lot of damage Eke, to the bus and the van. It makes me wonder why the footage wasn't made public so that the cyclist could be traced, as in the Mail example.

My commute used to be 8 miles through East London. I'd see at least 2 or noteworthy incidents every day, and a fair amount of road rage on Hackney Road. I'd also see a lot of RLJing by cyclists on Shoreditch High Street, a lot of PTWs in the cycle lane, loads of drivers on mobiles, and plenty of dangerous driving. The City is the most dangerous places in England in which to cycle, a pre-Roman road layout mixed with HGVs, buses, sociopathic black cabbies (not racist) and numpty cyclists.

I haven't seen any clips of cyclists "looking for trouble", I've seen people justifiably asking drivers why they carried out a particularly daft and dangerous manoever (sp?).

It's worth remembering that the impetus behind filming commutes comes from cyclists, not drivers. That suggests where the real problem lies.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    gaz545 wrote:
    Unless you ride in the same enviroment as the cyclist that films, then it's not fair to say that they go out looking for trouble. Most of my riding is done during rush hour with lots of traffic, each day i must be past and pass nearly 1,000 vehicles. And i only have 1 maybe 2 incidences that i look at and think about uploading.
    This is the commuting forum. i think the majority cycle during rush hour and pass/are passed by thousands of cars...
    gaz545 wrote:
    I'm working on a series at the moment called Silly Cyclists, where i highlight situations where people make mistakes which put them selfs and others in danger. It's getting some good press at the moment and it shows that we don't just target the car drivers.

I actually quite like your Silly Cyclists series...to me..that is much more useful than pointing out some of the lighter 'close overtake' type videos...as it seems to be based much more in 'how we can improve how drivers are likely to expect us to move on the road', rather than the other way, which feels more accusatory.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    There must have been quite a lot of damage Eke, to the bus and the van. It makes me wonder why the footage wasn't made public so that the cyclist could be traced, as in the Mail example.

My commute used to be 8 miles through East London.

I'd see at least 2 or noteworthy incidents every day, and a fair amount of road rage on Hackney Road. I'd also see a lot of RLJing by cyclists on Shoreditch High Street, a lot of PTWs in the cycle lane, loads of drivers on mobiles, and plenty of dangerous driving. The City is the most dangerous places in England in which to cycle, a pre-Roman road layout mixed with HGVs, buses, sociopathic black cabbies (not racist) and numpty cyclists.

I haven't seen any clips of cyclists "looking for trouble", I've seen people justifiably asking drivers why they carried out a particularly daft and dangerous manoever (sp?).

It's worth remembering that the impetus behind filming commutes comes from cyclists, not drivers. That suggests where the real problem lies.

Yes, because this broad horizon gives a representative view of all driver/cyclist encounters in the entirity of London at any given time during the day.

:roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    There must have been quite a lot of damage Eke, to the bus and the van. It makes me wonder why the footage wasn't made public so that the cyclist could be traced, as in the Mail example.

My commute used to be 8 miles through East London.

I'd see at least 2 or noteworthy incidents every day, and a fair amount of road rage on Hackney Road. I'd also see a lot of RLJing by cyclists on Shoreditch High Street, a lot of PTWs in the cycle lane, loads of drivers on mobiles, and plenty of dangerous driving. The City is the most dangerous places in England in which to cycle, a pre-Roman road layout mixed with HGVs, buses, sociopathic black cabbies (not racist) and numpty cyclists.

Yes, because this broad horizon gives a representative view of all driver/cyclist encounters in the entirity of London at any given time during the day.

:roll:

No, because that's replacing what I said with something completely different. I'm giving my view, I'm not saying that's how it is, all the time, everywhere.