@ Pokerface - re your blog

Comments

• Pokerface wrote:
    New post on what it means to be a true inspiration to others.

I Am Not An Inspiration

Enjoyed that, the numbers are staggering - 23 miles a day was an incredible achievement. It struck me though that perhaps people in his situation are competing, they are competing against death itself. The inspiration after all is only in the eye of the observer, and if you do something that few, indeed if any others can do, then someone somewhere is going to be inspired by it.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    New post on what it means to be a true inspiration to others.

I Am Not An Inspiration

Enjoyed that, the numbers are staggering - 23 miles a day was an incredible achievement. It struck me though that perhaps people in his situation are competing, they are competing against death itself. The inspiration after all is only in the eye of the observer, and if you do something that few, indeed if any others can do, then someone somewhere is going to be inspired by it.

Agreed.

From my point of view you, pokerface, are a source of inspiration to me. You and many others on here inspire me to get out more and get on with my passion for cycling rather than sitting here for days reading about it!

In my own life You and the others are more of an inspiration than Tarry Fox and thats not to take away anything from what terry achieved as it is something special but I can not relate to it in any way whereas training on a bike I can.

If it make you feel any better though I would probably walk past you in the street not having the slightest clue who you are and would most certainly never ask for your autograph :wink::lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the kind words gents. My point in that particular blog was that people like Terry Fox *wanted* to inspire others. I don't think of myself that way - even if it has that effect on some people (and to those people - I hope you make the most of it!). I didn't mean other people should be inspired by Terry (or that I am) but rather put it out there as an example of what true inspiration is.

For me, I was inspired by Lance Armstrong to get back on my bike and start riding again (a few years back). Reading his books, etc - made me believe that anything was possible.

Unfortunately as I learned more and more about him, the illusion was shattered as I realized he is just another drug-fuelled cyclist. :cry:

The person that inspired me to get on a bike and got me interested in cycling in the first place - was Greg LeMond back when he was racing in the Tour. He now works with my squad each year to help raise money so although I missed the chance to meet him last year - will get to meet him next year. That will be a real highlight for me!
  • That's an excellent blog there, Pokerface. Thanks for the read!
  • Pokerface
    New blog post on balancing cycling and your love life:

Women or Bikes: You Can Only Ride One
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Excellent read as always Colin :D
  • Another good read pokerface.

Maybe the ideal woman is one who has no interest in sport and can light your fire in other aspects of life.....however, that's speaking as a cycling hobbyist, not someone looking to compete at your level.

I happen to have a wife who is interested in sport (doing not watching) and she never really complains about the time on the bike (unles it clashes with her running plans), so in some ways I am lucky, but as per above we are talking about 3-5 hours a week for me, so a different animal.

All the best with the training.
  • Pokerface
    I'm waiting for a reply from a women who says her husband doesn't understand her cycling obsession! (Or better yet, a single female racer type!) :oops:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Good read Colin, I am sure it relates to alot of people.

I must be one of the very few cyclists that doesn't have any issues with their partners with regards to the amount of cycling I do. I am generally training over 10 hours a week, and my wife never complains about it, she just accepts it would be that or down the pub.

I am quite lucky she is able to take herself shopping :lol: why women want to drag their man around shopping I don't know. Hell she didn't even batter an eyelid when I said I was going to buy a £700 wheel, she just said OK. :lol:
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Pokerface wrote:
    I'm waiting for a reply from a women who says her husband doesn't understand her cycling obsession! (Or better yet, a single female racer type!) :oops:
    Here's one from an SFRT:

Your blog is all too true but I don't know what the answers are. Sometimes I think the average female head is as alien to me as it is to blokes. However, if a woman is working her socks off keeping house and home together and doing everything she thinks is in the best interest of the family, then I can understand if it's a bit galling when husband is more interested in his bikes and cycling. Sometimes I'm frankly staggered at how people get married when they have such a huge mismatch of interests and values - or maybe those interests and values change along the way so people end up in a marriage which is nothing like they expected it to be. My line of thinking is that if you're happy with your own company and are not particularly keen to have children then the single life is a much much easier existence.

Ruth
  • Pokerface
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Here's one from an SFRT:

Your blog is all too true but I don't know what the answers are. Sometimes I think the average female head is as alien to me as it is to blokes. However, if a woman is working her socks off keeping house and home together and doing everything she thinks is in the best interest of the family, then I can understand if it's a bit galling when husband is more interested in his bikes and cycling. Sometimes I'm frankly staggered at how people get married when they have such a huge mismatch of interests and values - or maybe those interests and values change along the way so people end up in a marriage which is nothing like they expected it to be. My line of thinking is that if you're happy with your own company and are not particularly keen to have children then the single life is a much much easier existence.

Ruth

Ruth - that pretty much sums up my life. I've always been comfortable on my own and am not a fan of children. Admittedly I miss the company of a woman at times, but for the most part am self-sufficient and can take care of myself.

I think my personal issue came about because I got married and THEN discovered my passion in cycling. And as you say – marriage turned out to be nothing like I expected.

Which is why I now have the luxury of trying to find someone whose interests match my own in a very specific way. Not an easy ask though!

P.S. Ruth (if you read this): How much time a day/week do you spend on your training?
  • BeaconRuth
    Pokerface wrote:
    Admittedly I miss the company of a woman at times, but for the most part am self-sufficient and can take care of myself.
    Yes, it would be impossible to be a full-blooded heterosexual and not miss the company of the opposite sex sometimes........... :lol:
    P.S. Ruth (if you read this): How much time a day/week do you spend on your training?
    Erm, not much at the moment. I'm not training for anything very seriously at the moment.

Ruth
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Admittedly I miss the company of a woman at times, but for the most part am self-sufficient and can take care of myself :wink:

Although 613 days is a long wait, a mate's mate was at the paralympics in Beijing (CP 7-a-side football) and apparently as the games go on, the athletes village begins to resemble the last days of the Roman empire, get a gold medal (anyone's gold medal) and wander round the village and see the doors open for you.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Apart from the shaving the legs thing (which almost every woman I know finds disgusting) I've never had a problem with girlfriends having a problem with me cycling. In fact, I must be doing something wrong as they always seem to be quite pleased to get rid of me for a few hours when I'm out on a ride. Hmmmm.....
  • As another SFRT I am inclined to agree with Ruth. I had the misfortune of having to justify my extended weekend training rides to my previous boyfriend. Suffice to say that relationship didn't last long. I'm quite happy living the single life until I hopefully manage to find an understanding significant other.

Great blog, btw, I look forward to next installment.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    It is a valid point. One just hopes that people dont end up on a death bed regretting bikes over a missing family. That would be tragic.

We often joke on our cake stop about lying there, last breat saying 'wish I had bought that supersix now!', pissing into a bag.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Pokerface wrote:
    "Women or Bikes:You Can Only Ride One"
    Great piece and a title that just made me do a muffled desk-snort! :lol:
  • Pokerface
    I should clarify that my relationship issues were not *solely* because of cycling - but it's easy to see how getting out on the bike can become an escape in more ways than one!

And as many people have pointed out to me - if you ever find the right partner, the amount of time you spend on your passion (whatever that might be) becomes less of a priority and spending time with your partner becomes less of a chore and more of a pleasure.

(As a happy coincidence, British Cycling has today (Thursday) been awarded almost £1 million to launch a bespoke programme to get 80,000 more women on bikes in 'The National Women's Cycling Network'.)
  • BeaconRuth
    Pokerface wrote:
    And as many people have pointed out to me - if you ever find the right partner, the amount of time you spend on your passion (whatever that might be) becomes less of a priority and spending time with your partner becomes less of a chore and more of a pleasure.
    I'm not sure why having found the right partner should reduce the priority of your sport - wouldn't it be nice to think that a partner would encourage you in your chosen sport? Unless you're throwing yourself into your sport because you don't have a partner...................?

Ruth
  • Pokerface
    Let's just say that being single allows me to focus 100% of my time and energy on cycling, but there is a huge majority of people that can reach the same heights or higher in the sport, while still maintaining a successful social life.

The reality is that it doesn't have to take over your life completely, but does require a certain level of dedication and anyone that is going to be a part of your life needs to understand and respect that.

But there's always room in your life for the right person, no matter how deep your obsession. :)
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Find the right partner, and it can be a great positive. My wife fully supports and encourages me in my cycling, and Ruth knows the hours I put into training.

Do I neglect my family, well yes in a way I do, but the time I spend with them as a family I try and make quality time, rather than just being around the house. The only one that complains when I go out training is my 6 year old lad. :lol:

I do a great thing and pin my training plan up on the wall, my wife can then see what I am doing on any day in the next month. I also plan my races quite far in advance, this helps with planning social stuff. Even then my wife might just do social stuff with our friends on her own, if I have to race the following day, or I am training. I have even roped her in for help at some 100 mile TT's and 12 hour TT's this year :lol:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    My wife likes I have an interest that is my own. She understands cycling is passion for me not just a hobby.

I have learned to balance my cycling with family life and it works very very well.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    SBezza wrote:
    Find the right partner, and it can be a great positive. My wife fully supports and encourages me in my cycling, and Ruth knows the hours I put into training.

Do I neglect my family, well yes in a way I do, but the time I spend with them as a family I try and make quality time, rather than just being around the house. The only one that complains when I go out training is my 6 year old lad. :lol:

I do a great thing and pin my training plan up on the wall, my wife can then see what I am doing on any day in the next month. I also plan my races quite far in advance, this helps with planning social stuff. Even then my wife might just do social stuff with our friends on her own, if I have to race the following day, or I am training. I have even roped her in for help at some 100 mile TT's and 12 hour TT's this year :lol:

Well that seems fair enough then.
  • Pokerface
    Quick new post on the effort it takes to make cycling look easy:

It's Harder Than It Looks
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    Pokerface wrote:
    New post on weight:

A Heavy Burden to Bear

Very interesting blog Pokerface!

Although not over weight at all myself, temptation to eat your favourite foods for health and fitness is very very hard.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • Pokerface
    New post on the final days before competition:
    Less is More

(And one on watching my first Pro race below it)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    New post on the final days before competition:
    Less is More

(And one on watching my first Pro race below it)

Pokerface, you are clearly a concern to the authorities in the middle East.

Your blog is blocked in Iran, surprisingly bike radar and it's band of revolutionaries is not. I'll just have to wait till I'm back in the relative normality of Dubai to read your latest.

Where was the road race you watched recently?
  • Pokerface
    It was in Majorca.
  • Pokerface
    After some time off, back with a few new entries.

New post on my World Championships preparations:
    The Building Blocks

And a recap of my World Championships:
    Me versus the World. Yet Again
  • Pokerface
    Loads of new entries on my blog for those that haven't looked in a while, including...

The birth of my new carbon leg: http://637daystogo.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... l?spref=fb

First World Cup win in Australia: http://637daystogo.blogspot.com/2011/05 ... ng-up.html

Coming close again in Spain: http://637daystogo.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... -some.html