Rider down

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
On the one way system near Surrey Quays station. Chap on a GT racing bike - looked like he'd just slipped on the ice and landed heavily. Was pleased to see that everyone stopped to help. Waited for the ambulance - he was loaded in along with his bike on a stretcher. If you read this, hope you're ok chap.

Comments

• Alphabet wrote:
    On the one way system near Surrey Quays station. Chap on a GT racing bike - looked like he'd just slipped on the ice and landed heavily. Was pleased to see that everyone stopped to help. Waited for the ambulance - he was loaded in along with his bike on a stretcher. If you read this, hope you're ok chap.

At 50+ I too was amazed, I simply fell off when turning, I am NO light weight, and a chap in a white van lent out and asked if I was ok, so some people DO care.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Alphabet wrote:

good care for his bike
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I stopped to see if I could do anything but there were plenty of guys already helping. hope he's OK.
    take it easy out there folk, it didn't even look slippy/icy where he'd gone down. I took the rest of my ride in very slowly
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    the medics were already tending to him when I passed so I figured the best thing is to let them do their job and carried on.

are you sure it was a slip? there was a black 4x4 with it's hazards on at the side of the road in front of the ambulance, couldn't tell if it was involved or someone who'd stopped to help.
    Hat + Beard
  • Alphabet
    the only car that was stopped when i arrived was a little nissan behind him - and that was a woman who'd got out to help. bike looked pristine, so i don't think it was anything more than icy slippiness.
  • there was someone attending to the cyclist who saw him fall....said the bike just went from under him. the car behind and when I was there one infront were just passers by who stopped to help.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    the medics were already tending to him when I passed so I figured the best thing is to let them do their job and carried on.

are you sure it was a slip? there was a black 4x4 with it's hazards on at the side of the road in front of the ambulance, couldn't tell if it was involved or someone who'd stopped to help.

HB - I almost called you this morning to ask if you wanted to buddy up - the other half had gone in about half hour before me with his colleague but I wasn't up early enough. as it was I put the phone down and told myself to MTFU!! then after seeing the guy down I wished I'd called. better to have company.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard wrote:

HB - I almost called you this morning to ask if you wanted to buddy up - the other half had gone in about half hour before me with his colleague but I wasn't up early enough. as it was I put the phone down and told myself to MTFU!! then after seeing the guy down I wished I'd called. better to have company.

I'll be riding in tomorrow but not friday (going straight off to essex in the evening to visit the missus) but don't mind a convoy going in or back out, just give me a shout. we might even be able to rope dhope in too to give us a tow :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Alphabet
    hatbeard wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

I'll be riding in tomorrow but not friday (going straight off to essex in the evening to visit the missus) but don't mind a convoy going in or back out, just give me a shout. we might even be able to rope dhope in too to give us a tow :lol:

convoy *honk* *honk*

I'll be up for that if it's at the right time...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hatbeard wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Sure, count me in for tomorrow morning. Have a work do in the evening so it'll be trains in the evening and Friday morning
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    dhope wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Sure, count me in for tomorrow morning. Have a work do in the evening so it'll be trains in the evening and Friday morning

I'd be up for that if you want to meet up around Greenwich somewhere, be nice to put some faces to names.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • hatbeard
    judging by most peoples routes this looks like a good candidate for a rendevous point.

what time would people want to meetup?
    Hat + Beard
  • Alphabet
    i come up Deptford Church Street, so can meet you lot at the crossing. 8ish?
  • Butterd2
    hatbeard wrote:
    judging by most peoples routes this looks like a good candidate for a rendevous point.

what time would people want to meetup?

8am there would be good for me but I can be pretty flexible on time.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • hatbeard
    Alphabet wrote:

How about people meet/wait on the pavement at the far end of the railings here (just past the junction) and people should aim to get there just before 8 as we'll be leaving dead on 8am?
    Hat + Beard
  • Butterd2
    hatbeard wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

How about people meet/wait on the pavement at the far end of the railings here (just past the junction) and people should aim to get there just before 8 as we'll be leaving dead on 8am?

That's good for me.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    8am, see you then
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I may join you....depends whether the sore throat/cold that's been brewing decides to explode today/tonight or not. must pre-warn you all though, I've just gone on to nobbly tyres and my legs don't want to work....I'll try to MTFU if I join you and put in a decent pace.
  • hatbeard
    I may join you....depends whether the sore throat/cold that's been brewing decides to explode today/tonight or not. must pre-warn you all though, I've just gone on to nobbly tyres and my legs don't want to work....I'll try to MTFU if I join you and put in a decent pace.

no excuses... this was your idea :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Alphabet
    done. see you there. I'll be the guy on the kona MTB with a blue buff and yellow glasses (ie looking a right tw@t)
  • I know...but I'm feeling a tad under the weather. just thought I'd warn you. which really means I'll just tell myself to MTFU!!
  • hatbeard
    I know...but I'm feeling a tad under the weather. just thought I'd warn you. which really means I'll just tell myself to MTFU!!

if your immune system is weakened I would advise against travelling in a sweaty germ filled metal tube with a load of mouthbreathers.

come join us in the snow, it's healthy :D
    Hat + Beard
  • of that I have no doubt HB!! it is a tad later than I usually cycle, heading past that way at nearer 7.30am usually...will do a weather and health check in the morning. if i'm not there I'm either in bed or already at work :lol:
    it would take more than a sprinkle of snow to get me on PT
  • dhope
    of that I have no doubt HB!! it is a tad later than I usually cycle, heading past that way at nearer 7.30am usually...will do a weather and health check in the morning. if i'm not there I'm either in bed or already at work :lol:

Yeah, it'd normally be about 7.10 that I'd be past that bit but I'll happily MTFD and spend another 45mins asleep, just to be sociable y'know. Taking one for the team and all that. I'll hate every minute of the extra sleep 8)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    of that I have no doubt HB!! it is a tad later than I usually cycle, heading past that way at nearer 7.30am usually...will do a weather and health check in the morning. if i'm not there I'm either in bed or already at work :lol:

Yeah, it'd normally be about 7.10 that I'd be past that bit but I'll happily MTFD and spend another 45mins asleep, just to be sociable y'know. Taking one for the team and all that. I'll hate every minute of the extra sleep 8)

that's it. make me feel guilty about waking up early why don't you. :roll:
    maybe I'll take a bit of that MTFD and snooze a while...perhaps have a relaxed coffee before setting off!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    So you're meeting at 8 at the junction of Deptford Ch St and Creek Rd? I might be passing through that way at that time...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Butterd2
    So you're meeting at 8 at the junction of Deptford Ch St and Creek Rd? I might be passing through that way at that time...

Excellent, see you there.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • hatbeard

indeed. the more the merrier :D
    Hat + Beard
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    hatbeard wrote:

indeed. the more the merrier :D

OK, I head along DCS and then turn left onto Creek Rd so I'll look out for a small gathering of cyclists huddled against the Arctic winds at 8am!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • hatbeard
    that will be us... :lol:

just to be clear if anyone gets there and it's already 8am and there's no one there just assume we've left already, no point waiting around in the cold.

I'll be in either a brown hoodie or a blue/orange greenwich tritons jersey depending on how brave I'm feeling about the weather and I'm riding a white/silver/black tricross with a racktop bag on the back.
    Hat + Beard