Do you have a say? Lemond versus super Magneto?

Hey!
Hey! Posts: 11
Hi,

I have read all turbo trainer threads I could find on this forum but couldn't find my answer anywhere.

I am buying a turbo trainer and some of the most important features that I am after are:
    Authentic road like feel but more importantly for my position on the bike to feel the same on the road or on the trainer. I will be using my turbo trainer mostly for hill training (to build up long hill climbing strength) so need something that can offer resistance constantly for a long time Causes no wear and tear to my expensive wheels I need to be able to read my cadence / power / HR / etc I need to be able to ride out of the saddle too As little noise as possible Ease of storage
have narrowed it down to the Lemond Revolution or the Super Magneto Cycelops...I am not sure which of the 2 is more suitable for what I want.
Any other recommendations are also hugely welcome!

My budget is anywhere between £300 and £500

I would really appreciate any advise / help
thanks
Dee

Comments

• incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I'm a big fan of my supermagneto (well I say mine, its actually the club's but I've commandeered it for this year :wink:). Its quiet, feels very road like (decent freewheel, no dragging in the pedal stroke), doesn't appear to wear my tyres (durano plus at the moment) and is solid enough to ride out the saddle.

I haven't tried the Lemond one though...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    A quick google search on reviews of the Lemond suggested it's noisy. Shame, as it looks like an interesting idea.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Hey!
    incog24 thanks :)

phil, I'm glad you said that. I just googled some noise-related reviews and they all seem to say that it is really loud (even outdoors with the wind)...oh what a shame :( !!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    phil s wrote:
    A quick google search on reviews of the Lemond suggested it's noisy. Shame, as it looks like an interesting idea.
    Recent BikeRadar review backs this up - very, VERY, NOISY

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/prod ... on-trainer

Was interested to read of the power measuring computer add-on for it as well, although the review doesn't say how accurate it is. Makes it a pretty expensive purchase when all is said and done as well.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/09/spen ... ution.html

Hopefully they can address some of the noise issues in later models as it sounds great to ride although I guess using a whopping big fan for resistance is always going to be quite noisy.
  • Hey!
    thanks for the links and advise :)

I went for the super Magneto. Cyclops seem to offer resistance which is totally controlled by the rider (not getting harder as you push harder), and has a very "authentic" road feel. It's also nowhere near as noisy as the Lemond.

Will let you know / hope that it lives up to its reputation when I try it next week :)