Men Who Wear Scarves...

2»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jimmypippa wrote:
    There is the Lord Flashheart look...
    Am I pleased to see you, or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?
  • I'm new here, can't wait to catch up with it all!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nothing wrong with men (even real men) wearing a scarf. As HB said, function over form. There is just a right and a wrong place to wear one though.

Cold day? Wearing a suit? Wear a scarf.

Cold day? On a bike wearing technical fabrics? Wear a buff.
    I just need to buy a buff now. Chilly cheeks on the bike today.

Ugg boots are just wrong.
    On anyone.
    Anywhere.

I don't care where they get their rock from (or how they get their rocks off).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Silk scarf, as worn by non-sissy, Nazi-battling British fighter pilots to keep their necks supple in the cold, because they need to turn their heads constantly to keep a lookout, just as on a bike. Warmest, lightest and most flexible fabric available. Black to avoid reflections in the cockpit canopy:

bader.jpg
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    snailracer wrote:
    Silk scarf, as worn by non-sissy, Nazi-battling British fighter pilots to keep their necks supple in the cold, because they need to turn their heads constantly to keep a lookout, just as on a bike. Warmest, lightest and most flexible fabric available. Black to avoid reflections in the cockpit canopy:

bader.jpg

Actually the scarves' only function was to protect the neck - cold didn't come into it (although the cockpits were cold at altitude).

And not all Germans in WW2 were Nazis, just like not all British fighters were fans of Churchill.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Silk is very warm though.

I have a set of silk bedding. It is noticably warmer than my cotton sets.

I also have silk socks which I wear under woolies when fishing through the winter. Toasty!

I don't wear a scarf even though I got one for Xmas last year.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Exactly fighter pilots wore scarves to stop the skin on their neck getting chaffed on other cloathing as their eyes roamed the sky looking for the 'hun in the sun' (or anywhere else for that matter).

Source, Grandfather, trained Spitfire pilots in the two seaters (too old for frontline service), now no longer with us.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I just need to buy a buff now. Chilly cheeks on the bike today.

:oops:

Now really, you should only wear it around your upper body... :wink:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I have a storm flap on my Barbour, no scarf required.

Worse than scarves though is the new fashion for men wearing silky pashiminas or arab type scarves. :shock: You are not Omar Sharif or the Mujahideen, you are ***t, take it off now.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Sewinman wrote:

Worse than scarves though is the new fashion for men wearing silky pashiminas or arab type scarves. :shock: You are not Omar Sharif or the Mujahideen, you are ***t, take it off now.

Since when did clothes become about 'fashion'? Is this some kind of London thing?

How can you deem someone a ***t simply by their choice of scarf? Seems a bit strong to me.
  • hehehe...cyclists, of all people, giving out fashion advice.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    for all the style icons on here voucher for a free £30 scarf in the paper tomorrow

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/ ... des#austin
    Hat + Beard
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    if you use a buff for neck/face, get a merino neck warmer... shitloads better at handling the moisture
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Since when did clothes become about 'fashion'? Is this some kind of London thing?

How can you deem someone a ***t simply by their choice of scarf? Seems a bit strong to me.

Err - clothes have always been about fashion, unless you are trying to climb Everest or something. Yes, most Londoners are better dressed.

On the second point - quite easily.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Sewinman wrote:
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Err - clothes have always been about fashion, unless you are trying to climb Everest or something. Yes, most Londoners are better dressed.

On the second point - quite easily.

Well, you can slave away all you want. Good luck with that.

I'd happily wear a pashmina, or even a feather boa if I was cold.
  • Well, after consideration, I look at myself in this picture and think yeah, buffs are definitely manly.

69731_10150094641166826_555806825_7043071_6780107_n.jpg
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • nothing against scarves but I do always think blokes who have them knotted 'that way' look like their girlfriend has dressed them