How to transport bikes?

2»

Comments

• capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Get a VW passat estate, can fit two bikes in boot with wheels still on, stick old bed sheet down no mess. 50-60mpg economy on diesel. No scroats can see the bike being paraded and follow home.

Can pick up second hand for £2000-£5000 if sell Bora. :D
  • Briggo wrote:
    Scott1152 wrote:
    Not an ideal option, but could you not remove the wheels and store them, in the car? like I say not really Ideal but could be an option

Scott

Not ideal? If you are only carrying yourself the bikes and your bags then its the best option there is.

Safer against theives
    Safer in terms of you wont damage your bike
    Less hassle
    Less stress
    Fuel economy increased

I always carry the bikes in the back of the car if I can, rarely do they sit on the Thule 591's, sheet down to keep the car interior clean and a towel between the bikes to cushion them so they dont bash against each other when you drive over the numerous pot holes.

I totally get what you mean, because thats how I transport mine, but putting muddy wheels or bikes in your car isnt the top of everyones list really, I find it ok as long as you protect the inside of the car its all fine :-)

Scott
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Hi, newbie here.

I have transported my bikes in the car (a 4 door saloon), on the back of the car on a rack, and on the roof.

My favourite is on the roof, as it keeps the inside of the car clean. However I have managed to damage the car using two of the methods, and damage myself using the other:-

In the car - I covered the back seats, and I took the wheels off. However the rear mech hit the rooflining of the car and marked it - DOH!

On the back of the car - the studs on the DMR pedals I was using at the time, rubbed a hole in the paintwork on my boot - again, DOH

On the roof - my foot slipped off the door sill, upon which I was standing, and I slipped onto the ground. Fortunately I managed to stop the bike hitting the car, but my knee hit the car's bodywork hard.

As you can see, though, I am particularly clumsy.

With this lesson learnt, if it's wet, I now put the bike up without stepping on the door sil. I have a Mont Blanc rack which can support the bike before you tighten everything up. I find it perfect after a visit to a trail, as there is no concern with messing up the car interior (again - ahem)

Phil
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Scott1152 wrote:
    I totally get what you mean, because thats how I transport mine, but putting muddy wheels or bikes in your car isnt the top of everyones list really, I find it ok as long as you protect the inside of the car its all fine :-)

Yeah, the back of mine is totally lined with foam and a big bit of cheap carpet. Works brilliantly, but does look a wee bit like I'm planning a murder.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • [/quote]

Yeah, the back of mine is totally lined with foam and a big bit of cheap carpet. Works brilliantly, but does look a wee bit like I'm planning a murder.[/quote]

:):):)
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker