How to transport bikes?

Andyh4324
Andyh4324 Posts: 58
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Firstly Hi i'm new here!

I'm looking into getting some sort of rack to carry my bike and GF's when she gets one soon. It'll have to go on a VW Bora which is a saloon shape so I thought I'd go for a Saris Bones rack, but I dont have a socket to plug a light board into. (No chance of fitting a tow-bar!) I assume I will need this as it'll cover the number plate and probably the lights?

I don't really fancy getting a roof rack and trying to lift the bikes onto the roof and risk scratching the car (or bikes!) Although I realise I may end up with no other option.

So what do people suggest I get? Have I missed something obvious or have you got a better idea?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it in the search bit. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Have you looked at a detachable tow bar? And a tow bar mounted rack?

I have a strap on (lol) rack, which fits on the back of my vectra lovely! You'd be suprised how visible the lights are actually! Only spokes to block the view, so I don't use a light board. My Numberplate is also in the rear bumper so its not obstructed. But a plate is easily tied to a bike anyway.
  • So you haven't had any problems with just having a number plate on the bikes? I'm not sure how the police see having your lights through the wheels, or whether it would count as being obstructed?
  • can you not just get the wiring for a towbar and have the socket in your boot, so when you use the rack you just run the wire out of your boot to the light board?

Scott
  • Not if I can help it Scott. Seems a lot of hassle just to take my bikes anywhere.
  • Not an ideal option, but could you not remove the wheels and store them, in the car? like I say not really Ideal but could be an option

Scott
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If you're lights are obstructed in any way,whether just spokes or not it's illegal.9 times out of 10 you'll be OK but if you get a jobsworth copper you will get done.
    You can get high level carriers which raise the bike to rear screen level like
    THIS
    That could be your answer?
  • Thanks! I didn't think they did them to fit saloons. Or I hadn't found any. Has anyone used one?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Just go to your local garage and ask for help. Mine wired me a socket for £40.

Even then, the cheapest option would be mount your bikes on rack and take all wheels off. That way, your lights won't be ubstracted anyway. Surely you can put all wheels into boot at ease.

Another option would be to fold your seats and load 2 bikes into car (obviously with wheels off).
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • sniper68
    Andyh4324 wrote:
    Thanks! I didn't think they did them to fit saloons. Or I hadn't found any. Has anyone used one?
    Seen loads on motorways.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Andyh4324 wrote:
    So you haven't had any problems with just having a number plate on the bikes? I'm not sure how the police see having your lights through the wheels, or whether it would count as being obstructed?

In the year ive been doing it, I've had no issues at all. My dad is also a traffic police officer and he's said the same as someone else, It would be passable by mist officers! You can see the lights through the spokes no problems at all.

My number plate is not obstructed at all though as it's recessed into the bumper which is much much lower than the bikes sit.
  • Andyh4324 wrote:
    I don't really fancy getting a roof rack and trying to lift the bikes onto the roof and risk scratching the car (or bikes!) Although I realise I may end up with no other option.

I fail to see any logic in that statement at all. If you were to buy a decent roof carrier, like a Thule 591, you will have no reason to scratch the car unless your a pygmy
    Although I'm back to driving my Land Rover, my last car was a VW Golf 5 and in the two years of owning the car I never scratched it by loading/offloading bikes onto the Thule carriers.
    Fitting the Thule roof rack and carriers takes a few minutes once you've mastered the easy way of fitting the roof rack
    I scratched the car from leaning the bikes against it with a little help from my Hope bar ends.

I find the roof mounted (591) carrier more convenient than any other way to move bikes around. In fact I even use them on my Disco V8, but with the help of an aluminium step I carry in the back of the Discovery. As for the Golf, they were brilliant too and the nice thing is that the bikes are high, so no scroats can tinker with/steal from the bikes.

The downside is fuel consumption [although the Land Rover is by far from economical anyway] and also beware when parking under trees. You will also experience a little wind noise when driving too.

dscf0030emediumsmall.jpg
  • Andyh4324 wrote:

I fail to see any logic in that statement at all. If you were to buy a decent roof carrier, like a Thule 591, you will have no reason to scratch the car unless your a pygmy

I meant that holding a bike above your car (or in the air generally) is quite unwieldy. As you say, i'm sure the racks themselves are pretty good. Thanks for the reply though.

Shall have a look in a few shops tomorrow and see if I can get a better idea of it all.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Roof racks are fine, but beware - first time I used them after replacing station wagon with saloon I drove straight into my normal car park. Unfortunately there was a height restrictor.
    Noisy and embarrassing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    stick 'em in the boot, i fit an anthem with no wheels into the back of a Corsa, im sure a Bora is bigger :D
  • Rich25
    Rich25 Posts: 231
    I stick my Pitch in my Mk6 golf. I have a bike bag and a wheel bag which keeps everything clean inside and I can put the bike togther in seconds.

However, i think the roof rack is the way forward and im planning on buying a Thule so I can transport two bikes comfortably.

There's loads of way mate, just pick the best one for you.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    how big of an effect does the bike on the roof have on your economy?
  • sniper68
    how big of an effect does the bike on the roof have on your economy?
    Vectra 2.0 diesel
    Motorway
    85mph=49-52mpg(according to onboard computer)
    85mph=30-34mpg bikes on the roof :shock:
    85mph =40-42mpg with just roofbars/racks
    day to day
    40mpg dropping to 32mpg when the bars/racks alone were on.

I had racks on my cars permanently for over 5 years then when I got my Vectra off they came and the bike now goes inside....wasted loads on fuel over the years.
    Say 10mpg on average from a full tank of 14 gallons=140miles per tank.On long distances the loss was 15+mpg that's 210 miles per tank :shock:
    Will obviously differ vehicle to vehicle and sticking to 70mph on motorway could help.
  • sheepsteeth
    that is very considerable isnt it!!!

coor blimey, my subaru is thirsty enough wthout losing a tonne of mpg, i didnt realise it was such an effect.
  • that is very considerable isnt it!!!

coor blimey, my subaru is thirsty enough wthout losing a tonne of mpg, i didnt realise it was such an effect.

I used to own an Impreza and it cost me (18 months ago) £35 return to the Lake District. I now have a Ford Focus Diesel and the same distance costs less then £20. AND, the price of fuel has gone up considerable since I sold the Scooby!

But the Scooby was a far better car and sad to see it go :cry:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • sheepsteeth
    i do love the scooby, its not a turbo so its not shocking on fuel but its not efficient enough to afford the loss that would come along with losing so much due to the bike on the roof.

i fit them inside nromally but im planning on a uk trip with the hounds and the wife but there isnt room in the motor with 2 dogs, a wife and a couple of weeks worth of camping gear and my bike.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Scott1152 wrote:
    Not an ideal option, but could you not remove the wheels and store them, in the car? like I say not really Ideal but could be an option

Scott

Not ideal? If you are only carrying yourself the bikes and your bags then its the best option there is.

Safer against theives
    Safer in terms of you wont damage your bike
    Less hassle
    Less stress
    Fuel economy increased

I always carry the bikes in the back of the car if I can, rarely do they sit on the Thule 591's, sheet down to keep the car interior clean and a towel between the bikes to cushion them so they dont bash against each other when you drive over the numerous pot holes.
  • Hi, some interesting options posted.
    However, I think I have the perfect solution for one possibly two bikes.
    The Seat Altea diesel. Great economy and with the fold down seat you can get your bike in vertically wrapped up in a bike bag. I have adjustable forks and a droppable seat post so I just dial it all down pop the Stumpy in the bag and slot it in the car. The pimped out rear windows add to the secuirity and with the bag being black you cannot see it inside. Also under the floor is a massive a mount of space to store all your bits and bobs.

Great vale, good economy and really works well as a bike bus. I keep mine in there pretty much all year round so that I am always ready for a blast when coming back from work. If you then want to add a further bike just pop the other side of the seats down and slot the other bike in. The only word of warning is over the length of fork as it is a tight fit top to bottom in the car and if you have extra wide bars (I run 730 mm wide) then it is again tight front to back.
    You could always buy the XL version which is 150mm longer.

The tow bar racks are a great option but it is the security problem again. Inside is always better and with bike bags the crap stays contained too.
    TT
  • sheepsteeth
    so the perfect solution is buy a new car?

good thinking.
  • Briggo
    Andyh4324 wrote:
    I meant that holding a bike above your car (or in the air generally) is quite unwieldy. As you say, i'm sure the racks themselves are pretty good. Thanks for the reply though.

Shall have a look in a few shops tomorrow and see if I can get a better idea of it all.

Unless you have the arms the length of an ant and the strength of a girl, it really isnt something you should be worrying about.

Oh and regarding the MPG I usually get around 45-50mpg normally, with roofrack and bikes it drops to 40.
  • I put the bike on the roof with a set if Thule roofbars and a carrier and only seem to notice a 1-2mpg difference with them fitted or not!
    It's never been a problem getting the bike up onto the carrier either and I've not even came close to scratching the car.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Briggo wrote:
    Unless you have the arms the length of an ant and the strength of a girl, it really isnt something you should be worrying about.

I found it quite hard to get my bike back on the roof when I broke my ribs :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sheepsteeth
    Northwind wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I found it quite hard to get my bike back on the roof when I broke my ribs :lol:

i would have had similar difficulties had i needed to do that when i broke my arm too!!
  • Briggo
    Northwind wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

You got a mouth and some teeth dont you?

MTFU.
  • sniper68

Scared the bloody hell out of my wallet :D
    I am a bit "heavy footed" and don't hang about but it's still a significant loss.
  • sheepsteeth
    ibbo68 wrote:

Scared the bloody hell out of my wallet :D
    I am a bit "heavy footed" and don't hang about but it's still a significant loss.

:lol: