wiggle - weekend offer - disappointed

Comments

• antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    magoo289 wrote:
    Wiggle seem to have increased some of their prices!? I bought a dhb base layer about 3 weeks ago its now £5.99 dearer!

I was going to post this put you beat me to it - noticed this about 2 weeks ago after the recent good reviews of their new gear in the recent mags!! damn publicity - if it wasnt for these damn reviews bumming up DHB great value gear then maybe i wouldnt have bought before they put the prices up on the the strength of these damn good reviews!

but still poor show by wiggle as all the website/mag reviews have one price and the website is now £5+ more now - not the best advertising? it would piss me off reading a good review then go to buy and find that the item is more than the advertised RRP?

i have alot of DHB products but this pricing strategy has been badly thought out
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I recently read somewhere that someone high up in ASDA recently joined the wiggle team. The sale tactics remind me of supermarket sales, sneaky price rises just before sales and exclusion of certain products, although I expect Garmin don't want their brand new product included in a 20% sale. It's all about making you (the customer) feel like your getting a discount while at the same time trying to maintain good profit margins. The reason you can get 20% off focus bikes is because Wiggle are the UK distributor for Focus bikes and they'll be getting a fantastic profit margin on them.

I rate wiggle really highly as their customer service is second to none and they have a great range of products. Unfortunately I find they are rarely the cheapest any more and find myself shopping elsewhere more often these days.

This weekends 20% offer is good but make sure you shop around first. What seems like a great deal might still be available cheaper if you look around.

Still I can't believe people are complaining about a sale :roll:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    redvision wrote:
    irturner wrote:
    They're trying to shift stock. The edge 800 is brand new and doesn't need the price slashing.
    When they had the tour de france 1 section on sale each day the gps section only had a couple of units included and no garmin products at all.
    The original email did say the discount applied to "List" prices as in before any discounts.

i got my edge 500 during the tour sale so not sure your correct on that one.
    plus, you say they are trying to shift stock, and the edge 800 is brand new and doesnt need price slashing, so why can you get the new range of focus bikes with 20% off??

im not complaining that they are having a sale, im complaining because the sale is supposed to be across the site yet for the duration of it they have removed certain products! why not just say they are excluded?? somehow it feels like wiggle are cheating us!

Yeah, I got 20% off an Edge 500 as well. It was about £150 which Heart Rate Monitor were selling it for anyway but I like Wiggle cos it's easy to return stuff.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    They do let you bump your basket up with gift vouchers though.

If you're buying something for £46 add a £5 gift voucher and you could get up to 15% off the £46 (depending on what discount was already active). No discount is applied to the voucher mind you.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Or spend £50 and get a £5 voucher by changing your subscription interests, in case anyone doesn't know that.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    antfly wrote:
    Or spend £50 and get a £5 voucher by changing your subscription interests, in case anyone doesn't know that.

I didn't realise you only had to change your interests, I've been creating new hotmail accounts to get the voucher!
  • :shock:
  • I recently read somewhere that someone high up in ASDA recently joined the wiggle team. The sale tactics remind me of supermarket sales, sneaky price rises just before sales and exclusion of certain products, although I expect Garmin don't want their brand new product included in a 20% sale. It's all about making you (the customer) feel like your getting a discount while at the same time trying to maintain good profit margins. The reason you can get 20% off focus bikes is because Wiggle are the UK distributor for Focus bikes and they'll be getting a fantastic profit margin on them.

That's shocking behaviour !!!

I'll be taking my business to CRC's from now on
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    allez24 wrote:
    Is it worth mentioning that CRC have 10% off this weekend? :?

They are a shocking company, and wiggle is 20% over £100
  • As they used to say on Hill Street Blues - Be careful out there
    The older I get the faster I was
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I rate wiggle really highly as their customer service is second to none and they have a great range of products. Unfortunately I find they are rarely the cheapest any more and find myself shopping elsewhere more often these days.

+1. CRC or PBK are getting increasing amounts of my business
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I saw the the 20% discount & was about to buy some new shoes for next year whilst they're cheap(er). CRC had them cheaper (even without the 20%) & had them in stock.

It looked as though Wiggle had inflated the rrp, then discounted it by 10%. The voucher would've taken another 10% off. Even with the shenanigans CRC were a couple of quid cheaper.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have purchased from Wiggle before and was more than happy with the experience.

Today, I have ordered several items totalling >£100....either the items were not available at wiggle or they were cheaper elsewhere even with the discount, it pays to check around the various sites before ordering.
  • Not sure if this has been mentioned already - apologies if it has,

You can only use one voucher code.

I tried to use the 15% and the £5 discount for updating my account.

No luck !!

Also, they are not the cheapest on the items I was looking at, eg Look Keo Classic @ £63.00, Winstanleys have them for £44.00 - WTF.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Two things - is everyone sure that the Garmin 800 is actually available? I thought there were delays? I suppose if it pops back on the WIggle site on Tuesday after the sale, then you all can claim 'conspiracy'.

And as for prices going up on DHB stuff - is it just possible that prices actually JUST WENT UP? I mean - they aren't going to stay the same forever, are they?

It seems that all other Garmin products are still on there with the full 20% discount.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Got caught out a bit too, I basketed a load of parts for a newbuild earlier coming to £596 expecting a lucrative £120 off but it was actually just £24 in reality :( I still saved £190 over what I would have paid though so i'm not too devastated :D
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Pokerface
    SO now that the sale is over - have Wiggle's regular prices suddenly dropped down again?

Have they suddenly added (the not yet available) Garmin 800 back to their order pages?

:roll:

By the way, Wiggle's Official Position on the Garmin 800:

"The Garmin Edge 800 is the most eagerly anticipated and must-have cycle product this Christmas and demand is significantly out-stripping supply. Every delivery of stock that we have received of the Edge 800 so far has sold out within days of arriving. We currently have no stock available to sell and fear that if we put the Edge 800 on site, we are likely to take more pre-orders than we are able deliver before Christmas. In order to manage your expectation, and ensure that all customers receive the extremely high level of service that Wiggle have become known for, we are not taking orders on the Edge 800 at present."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    dandrew wrote:
    Stopped buying from Wiggle after I ordered arm & leg warmers. They were shown as in stock. They were not. Never got a straight answer from them. Took 6 weeks.
    Seems to me they are big enough to control a shareof the Market but not big enough to admit mistakes and deal with people as individuals.

Really? I take it you didn't read speed_king's thread last year then? He accussed them of allsorts that would have amounted to fraud, they could probably have threatend him with libel if they'd wanted. Even though he eventually admitted he was wrong they still replaced some parts that were broken by others, all done via this site as well - hardly not dealing with people as individuals! People rave on about LBSs on here but in my experience very few bike shops give as good a service on sales as Wiggle.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited December 2010
    What interests me is the fact that so many people are offended by Wiggle's behaviour here, which is pretty much normal for retailers.

It shows that the marketing tactics are working on you - you have come to think of them, on some (presumably subconscious) level, as a pal who is there to do you favours, not as a business that exists to make a profit.

Of course it would be nice if it wasn't the case, but don't ever expect your loyalty to be repaid by any shop - just shop around.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I've usually got a good word or three to say about Wiggle but in recent weeks, they have gone down in my estimation. I can buy a Topeak QR Beam rack for my Mtb but not with sideframes (which inexplicably are available to UK, not Oz). The equivalent Road version can be bought as a package. This scenario goes across several other products I have looked at and which makes it pretty pointless when only half a system is available from the one supplier. To get the whole system I may as well use elsewhere where I also receive good service, get the items cheaper and pay a small premium on postage.

I understand that they may have issues sending certain items overseas but can't understand why they can send a rack but leave out the other part but can send out the entire road system. I would like consistency in their selling.

They are becoming more irrelevant to me and are now 3rd choice.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I was wondering myself why the Edge 800 had disappeared.

I ordered one off them just a few days after they first had stock, stupidly I waited a little and they were then shown as on back order until early December. I ordered anyway and e-mailed them to ask when in early December they expected to get them, the answer was that early December was the best answer they could give.

So I was then quite surprised when it turned up at the start of last week.

When the 20% came up this past weekend, I was quite intrigued to see what the price would be on them with that discount. However, as everyone else, discovered it was missing, despite them also having a Garmin competition running!

Computers are obviously big sellers for Cyclists at Xmas and they do have a lot of stock of the 705, which isn't really the best choice now.

Thinking back to last Xmas though. My girlfriend had ordered me an Edge 705 through Wiggle, it was showing dispatched in 5-7 days. The order was placed at the start of December, but it wasn't until nearly Xmas that they e-mailed to say they weren't going to have the stock until January.

The Edge 800 is probably selling even bigger and they don't want to disappoint people.

You can certainly get them elsewhere still, however Wiggle were still £40 cheaper with the platinum discount.

The new website is still really annoying me though.

ie search for Bib Tights > refine to Mens.

What does it show....

Mostly mens, some womens clothing, kids clothing and kids shoes and other random items!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    redvision wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    ??? When John Lewis or any major bricks+mortar retail outlet announce a big sale, it's unusual that absolutely everything is included in the headline discount rate. What Wiggle are doing is no different from any other outlet.

maybe, but would those retailers pull certain lines off their shelves whilst the sale is on?? because thats what wiggle have done with items they dont want to be included.

Have you ever had the misfortune to be dragged around the Next sale? Most of it's crap.

Most retailers empty space from their shops so they can fill it with tat at "bargain" prices. Of course this doesn't apply to online retailers as they don't have to make space to have a sale, the do however, have to make space for new stock in their warehouse.

As for the DHB stuff, I always buy at the wrong time to get the best prices. Get Bib tights in spring/summer sale when they're not going to get any use for 6-9 months, and are usually reduced.
  • I got a Garmin 800 a couple of weeks ago from Wiggle! Don't know what everyone is complaining about. No pre-order either.

Must just have hit the sweetspot when stock was available and before it all sold out.

Pretty pleased with it, but now the snow has come can't use it.

Spent too much money at Wiggle last year or so, so get the max doscount, but always look at CRC, Evans etc and agree that CRC are often cheaper by some margin, so as always shop around as others have said

Only "issue" I have had sa far was a recent order for some gloves that were "in stock" - after a week or so of still waiting I looked at the actual page rather than account info to see that they were discontimued. Bit peeved - quick note to Customer Services and got an offer to choose an equivalent pair for same price, so can't really complain.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    hammerite wrote:
    Get Bib tights in spring/summer sale when they're not going to get any use for 6-9 months, and are usually reduced.

Agree with that, I've picked up 2 pairs of bibshorts and 2 short sleeved jerseys for less than half original price this week :D none of them from Wiggle though as it happens
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Pokerface
    Dare I mention that WIggle have the 20% of list price over £100 sale on again this weekend?

:oops:
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Pokerface wrote:
    Dare I mention that WIggle have the 20% of list price over £100 sale on again this weekend?

hmmm...you think i should start a new thread??
    :lol:
  • redvision wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

hmmm...you think i should start a new thread??
    :lol:

With the following exclusions.

a. Computers
    b. GPS - Cycle
    c. GPS - Maps
    d. GPS - Run
    e. Heart Rate Monitors
    f. Helmet Cameras
    g. Power Training
    h. Watches
    i. Wheels - MTB
    j. Wheels - Road

Covers pretty much any item I had considered getting over Christmas !!!!!
  • Pokerface
    Oops. Missed the exclusions.

However - Wiggle do these promotions weekly now. The same exclusions will not apply to all of them!
  • Pokerface wrote:

Whose list price, Wiggles or the manufacturers?
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Wiggle are the current "shop" for CTC. As a member of CTC you get a "platinum" discount on lines in the shop (I think). Another good reason to join CTC?
    The older I get the faster I was