Cycling Silk threats from driver case.

Comments

• dilemna wrote:
    What does s.5 of the POA relate to? Pulling funny faces or making rude signs?

Raising your voice in public in a not very seriously anti social way.

Not really worth giving someone a criminal record for, IMO.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Convicted today.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Greg66 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    What does s.5 of the POA relate to? Pulling funny faces or making rude signs?

Raising your voice in public in a not very seriously anti social way.

Not really worth giving someone a criminal record for, IMO.
    Lucky the driver already had one then :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Result.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    cjcp wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    I've just had the misfortune to read some of the comments on the BikeRadar site. The commuting section seems to be predominantly inhabited by a bunch of point-scoring, blow-hards. I'd not waste your time or effort posting there, Martin; leave them to their Punch and Judy legal "debates", ego-stroking, and vainglorious tales of overtaking other cyclists during their commutes.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2010 ... l#comments

I came for the vainglory, but stayed for the hubris <3

The only thing that counts. :wink:

Out of interest why do you keep coming back?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Leave him alone, it was an IMPORTANT UPDATE and cocky little sh1ts may now be a bit more cautious about shouting stuff at cyclists.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Convicted today.

Good news. Thank you for pursuing this.

Peculiarly, it proved harder to convince quite a few Bikeradar commuting cyclists of your case, than a magistrate in West London. Funny old world...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    So what did he get?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Fines and costs over a monkey.
  • Origamist wrote:
    Convicted today.

Good news. Thank you for pursuing this.

Peculiarly, it proved harder to convince quite a few Bikeradar commuting cyclists of your case, than a magistrate in West London. Funny old world...

Magistrates tend not to need much convincing when the defendant pleads guilty. £250 fine, £15 victim surcharge, £300 prosecution costs.

And not referred back to the Crown Court for breach of his suspended sentence for wounding.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Leave him alone, it was an IMPORTANT UPDATE and cocky little sh1ts may now be a bit more cautious about shouting stuff at cyclists.

unless they read bikeradar etc, it's rather unlikely any one will hear of this, or change there behavour.

if it's the video i think it was A315 towards Hounslow the guy was a unpleasent chap though not sure a fine will much really.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    So, could someone give me a potted history about why everyone on this forum is supposed to be a blowhard?

I tracked back through the thread and it seems to be lilttle more than "hello, I'm inthe right" - "why?" - "because I say so" - "could we talk about that in more detail?" - "you all smell".

Is that about right?
  • Stevo_666
    Bit of a storm in a teacup really.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    This thread, the incident or both?

unless they read bikeradar etc, it's rather unlikely any one will hear of this, or change there behavour.

There's a documentary planned, using this footage and others.
  • Stevo_666
    DrLex wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    This thread - 9 pages on a verbal abuse case. There are lots of 'rider down' threads where people get badly hurt or killed that fail to get onto the second page. Just trying to put this in perspective - it was a pretty nasty experience for the bloke on the receiving end but nobody got hurt and the fine imposed reflects that.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Leave him alone, it was an IMPORTANT UPDATE and cocky little sh1ts may now be a bit more cautious about shouting stuff at cyclists.

Yes, that will help.

Will you be featured Brekkie?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Leave him alone, it was an IMPORTANT UPDATE and cocky little sh1ts may now be a bit more cautious about shouting stuff at cyclists.

I do hope that it's narrated by Shane Warne.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    DrLex wrote:

I do hope that it's narrated by Shane Warne.

:lol:
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Greg66 wrote:
    Magistrates tend not to need much convincing when the defendant pleads guilty. £250 fine, £15 victim surcharge, £300 prosecution costs.

Yep, looks like the chap was bang to rights...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    This thread - 9 pages on a verbal abuse case. There are lots of 'rider down' threads where people get badly hurt or killed that fail to get onto the second page.

But that's because it's 'controversial'. If someone's riding along and gets mown down from behind there's not much to say other than get well soon.

Whereas with this there were obviously some different opinons.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • He pleaded not guilty first, his argument being because Johnny Law refused to get off their fat doughnuts and do anything when it was first reported any subsequent prosecution was an abuse of process.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    He pleaded not guilty first, his argument being because Johnny Law refused to get off their fat doughnuts and do anything when it was first reported any subsequent prosecution was an abuse of process.

NG plea entered on basis it was an Abuse of Process to prosecute him, he having received an indication from police he would not be prosecuted. Case law would not and did not i suspect support his argument so lost and given the evidence no alternative but to plead. Tactically he did the right thing because a ng plea, evidence being called or rather seen by magistrates and then being convicted might have meant Magistrates more likely to send him up to the crown court to see if Judge might want to activate the suspended sentence-my take anyway.
  • Stevo_666
    bails87 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    This thread - 9 pages on a verbal abuse case. There are lots of 'rider down' threads where people get badly hurt or killed that fail to get onto the second page.

But that's because it's 'controversial'. If someone's riding along and gets mown down from behind there's not much to say other than get well soon.

I'd say the reason is more that while a lot of rider down threads are far more serious, this case had malicious intent. Some people (not you ;-)) seem to be on a bit of a vendatta against car drivers generally, so jump on these types of cases as an opportunity to stir up dislike of motorists on the basis of a few 'bad apples' - IMO.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'd say the reason is more that while a lot of rider down threads are far more serious, this case had malicious intent. Some people (not you ;-)) seem to be on a bit of a vendatta against car drivers generally, so jump on these types of cases as an opportunity to stir up dislike of motorists on the basis of a few 'bad apples' - IMO.
    I simply cannot imagine - for one second - which poster(s) you might be alluding to.
  • Stevo_666
    Well I wasn't going to give you three guesses.
  • Is a vendatta like a Vespa?
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for spotting my typo, V.

I see you're not trying to deny it...

right so some documemtry with some poor video footage, will change the world?
  • You think I have a "vendatta" against drivers because I point out they break the law? Isn't that a bit hysterical?