TRWPM 2nd Edition - Chapter 9 Example Makes no sense

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
I'm sure there must be some of you out there has read the 2nd edition of Training & Racing with a Power Meter.

I've finally got round to reading Chapter 9 which is on Developing a Power-Based Training Plan.

Am I being incredibly thick or does the Bob Rider example make no sense at all.

Firstly it is stated that he has an FTP of 250 watts and with a weight of 70.5 equals a w/kg of 3.55. It further states that his 5 sec power 845 watts, 1 minute power is 480 watts & his 5 minute power 320 watts.

Then we get the nice little fatigue profile table which states that 30 sec power is 480 watts and his 1 minute power is actually only 450 watts. Again the 3 minute power is actually 320 watts and his 5 minute power only 262 watts. Again the 20 minute power is stated as 250 watts and his 1 hour normalised power is 223 watts.

Given the power profile is using one set of figures and the fatigue profile another is there much point in reading the rest of the example?

Another very strange sentence comes on page 171 which states "His 2 minute power is not much higher than his 30 second power, which is also above average, which means, again, that he doesn't have a lot of strength at anaerobic capacity." Why would you expect 2 minute power to be higher than 30 sec power :?

Now this book has been out for a while now and I'm sure widely read so that's why I'm asking here because I haven't seen anyone mention this before so what am I missing?

Comments