winter training

2»

Comments

• Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Have a search for info on your make and model of turbo.
    You may find a power/velocity curve like CycleOps publish.

We are similar ages. When I'm on the gym bike at 120 BMP, the power absorption is at about 135 Watts.

At a steady 240 Watts, my HR is 155 or thereabouts. HR goes up to mid 170s when I'm pushing steady 350 W.

30 mph on the road is around 500 Watts !
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Chiggy wrote:

If you're as aero as a brick!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Chiggy wrote:
    Have a search for info on your make and model of turbo.
    You may find a power/velocity curve like CycleOps publish.

We are similar ages. When I'm on the gym bike at 120 BMP, the power absorption is at about 135 Watts.

At a steady 240 Watts, my HR is 155 or thereabouts. HR goes up to mid 170s when I'm pushing steady 350 W.

Cheers for that, I have a Minoura V100 and they do indeed have a technical sheet: -

http://www.minourausa.com/_userdata/v10 ... e-data.pdf

As you predicted I look like I'm turning out about 135 watts for that duration and speed. Not brilliant but the intention was not to build power but to build endurance whilst we have this crap weather.

500 watts...I wish :roll: :lol: When I ride with the intermediates in the club runs, they drag my sorry ass at some silly stupid speeds, but the intention this year is to try and do my work at the front with them rather than just hanging in there.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    incog24 wrote:
    Chiggy wrote:

Indeed, for me it's about 340-350 on my TT bike, 380-400 on the road bike.
  • Velonutter
    NapoleonD wrote:
    incog24 wrote:
    Chiggy wrote:

You're a lot more slippery than me Nap, they use me for sails on Yachts :lol:
  • Chiggy
    Just as a training guideline, HR intensities below 75% max should be sustainable by breathing only through your NOSE.

At our age Velonutter, its 130 - 135 BPM. The method behind the madness is that these intensities are 'feeding zone' intensities.
    Riders throttle down at feeding zones so they can eat their energy bars without spitting half of it all over the opposition. :lol:

If your turbo hasn't got a direct kW readout, print out a copy of the powercurve on a sheet of A3 and pin it to the wall. :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Cheers Chiggy for the heads up. 8)
  • Chiggy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    incog24 wrote:
    Chiggy wrote:

Yeh, The weather here is sunny and dry so I've just been for a quick fifteen miler on my SWorks.
    Rough and dirty co-relation with my HR and gym bike says 30 mph is more like 400 than 500.

I will have to do another Equilibrium Velocity test on it now its got RS-80 wheelset.
  • Anonymous
    WTF is an Equilibrium Velocity Test?!?

Gym bikes are renowned for having inaccurate power readings. If they were accurate then I'd be challenging the Elite!
  • Chiggy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    WTF is an Equilibrium Velocity Test?!?

Gym bikes are renowned for having inaccurate power readings. If they were accurate then I'd be challenging the Elite!

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/dragcalc.html

Here it is. Its well known.
  • Anonymous
    Is it?

A google search didn't record any results on the first page and your the first person I've ever heard call it that!

I'm well aware of the test but thought it was called a drag test, not an 'equilibrium velocity' test...
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    NapoleonD wrote:

Not for many - there's not that many people who can manage a 50 minute 25 without serious help from the course (gift hill, passing cars etc) Yet there are lots of folk who can do 350 watts for an hour.

Same on the road, you need to be very slippery with the above figures!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Anonymous
    jibberjim wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Not for many - there's not that many people who can manage a 50 minute 25 without serious help from the course (gift hill, passing cars etc) Yet there are lots of folk who can do 350 watts for an hour.

Same on the road, you need to be very slippery with the above figures!

Can't answer for anyone else, that's just what I have found from my rides.
  • Chiggy
    There is another way of determining the Cd of a wheeled vehicle. It involves a 'coastdown' between two pre-detemined speeds along a flat road with calm wind conditions.
    The time taken to 'coastdown' from V2 to V1 is measured and calcs are done to determine the vehicle's Cd and the kW required to maintain the exact intermediate velocity.

The trouble with this test is you need an absolutely flat road. The 'parallel straights' at the Motor Industry Research Association' do just right.

The other and more expensive way of determining Cd and kW demand is to mount the bike and rider on a strain table in a wind tunnel. Just like the pro teams do when they develop the TT bikes with the manufacturers.
    I can't believe its been fifteen years !! since Chris Boardman did his wind tunnel tests at M.I.R.A.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Off the back of a reasonable UK winter schedule, you could do a lot worse than taking in this... http://burgauvilla.com/ at the end of February if you are planning any events from March onwards.
    I shall be there for 2 weeks taking in the Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve) we will be training ourselves and watching starts/finishes of the tour.
    Temperatures range normally between 16 and 24 deg C, we have contacts for more Villas at great prices. The cost of food and drink is much lower than here, we can give advice on where to eat out or shop and car hire.
    Villa do Sol would be £325 a week with two double beds separate bathroom/showers, an extra person could use the lounge so for £81-25p each for 4 per week it's a bargain.

Cycling is great with the Monchique mountain range within easy reach top road at 902m above sea and great west coast roads. Roads are very quite compared with UK.
    Also you can join in with the Lagos Road Bike club when we can get up to 30 out on Sundays and some are out during the week and for those than need a bike shop see Paulo at Extreme Sports in Lagos details of which are in the Villa.
    Nearly all the photos on the website are taken during the winter months!

In the past years Cervelo, Lotto, Rabobank, An Post etc have all had winter training camps here.

So get wise like them.
    8) :wink:
  • Chiggy
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Off the back of a reasonable UK winter schedule, you could do a lot worse than taking in this... http://burgauvilla.com/ at the end of February if you are planning any events from March onwards.
    I shall be there for 2 weeks taking in the Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve) we will be training ourselves and watching starts/finishes of the tour.
    Temperatures range normally between 16 and 24 deg C, we have contacts for more Villas at great prices. The cost of food and drink is much lower than here, we can give advice on where to eat out or shop and car hire.
    Villa do Sol would be £325 a week with two double beds separate bathroom/showers, an extra person could use the lounge so for £81-25p each for 4 per week it's a bargain.

Cycling is great with the Monchique mountain range within easy reach top road at 902m above sea and great west coast roads. Roads are very quite compared with UK.
    Also you can join in with the Lagos Road Bike club when we can get up to 30 out on Sundays and some are out during the week and for those than need a bike shop see Paulo at Extreme Sports in Lagos details of which are in the Villa.
    Nearly all the photos on the website are taken during the winter months!

In the past years Cervelo, Lotto, Rabobank, An Post etc have all had winter training camps here.

So get wise like them.
    8) :wink:

Can't make it this winter. Reduction in earnings; three houses to pay for; loads of needy kids to buy Xmas presents for; two Range Rovers to keep on the road.
    You know what its like ? Recession and all that.
  • Velonutter
    Wish I could afford something like that, but business is crap for the second year on a trot, my wife is really ill, so fat chance.
  • Ron Stuart
    Velonutter wrote:
    Wish I could afford something like that, but business is crap for the second year on a trot, my wife is really ill, so fat chance.

I notice you are around South Staffs, well I am living in Shropshire (The British Cycling Heaven).
    If you have a change in fortune in the future and here's hoping so, then we could meet up somewhere on a ride and I could give you some more input. This is not an expensive cycling break especially when you compare it with say an Italian Bike Hotel near Rimini for a week (around £1000 a week each with fares), this would be less than a 3rd of the price but with much better weather in Feb-March and warmer than Majorca with no chance of snow on the mountains.
    This I add is not a commercial enterprise, my wife and I are keen to promote winter cycling in the Algarve and to get new folk to discover what we have. We have friends with Villas and have shown them the sense of letting the Villas out in the winter months at cut prices rather than them being empty. We just get the use when we go at an extra reduced price.

We could meet at the Spider's Web Cafe (Cosford). Maybe when the weather improves?
  • Velonutter
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

I notice you are around South Staffs, well I am living in Shropshire (The British Cycling Heaven).
    If you have a change in fortune in the future and here's hoping so, then we could meet up somewhere on a ride and I could give you some more input. This is not an expensive cycling break especially when you compare it with say an Italian Bike Hotel near Rimini for a week (around £1000 a week each with fares), this would be less than a 3rd of the price but with much better weather in Feb-March and warmer than Majorca with no chance of snow on the mountains.
    This I add is not a commercial enterprise, my wife and I are keen to promote winter cycling in the Algarve and to get new folk to discover what we have. We have friends with Villas and have shown them the sense of letting the Villas out in the winter months at cut prices rather than them being empty. We just get the use when we go at an extra reduced price.

We could meet at the Spider's Web Cafe (Cosford). Maybe when the weather improves?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the comments, I'll send you a PM.
  • Ron Stuart
    Velonutter wrote:

Oh, and here are some photos taken this Oct/Nov and also some from the Volta ao Algarve period in past years.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... ed0e427dcb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 8e17e5b70#

Got my flights booked for Feb!!
  • just a word of warning chaps.... came off the bike 2 weekends back on ice, went down badly on my left hood and badly sprained my wrist.... , can just about hold the hood again... will be out tomorow with heavy strapping,... but still hurts like F!!! so just be careful when training in the "real" world
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hope you get better soon mgcycleguy it sounds like it could have been worse.

Have not even tried to cycle on the roads up here in scotland. Not fit for anything but my 4X4 at the moment and its snowing again as I write this. Did 4 sessions on spinning bike this week so dont too guilty but dont think I'll get in some road miles for a long time.
    Brian B.
  • Thanks Brian.... yeah what do they say, "any off you walk away from, is a good off" !

... now you've made me feel bad about not getting onto the turbo ... lol
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Another snow storm Sunday here too. An hour on the turbo in the garage was the sum of the Sunday run!