winter training

Theomerchant
Theomerchant Posts: 187
is quite hard!

Comments

• At the moment it's very tricky...
    you're better off getting a couple of months membership at the local gym and signing for the spin classes. They're quite good to keep the legs spinning and less boring than pedalling in a shed on a turbo trainer.
    Instructors are normally quite fit too, which is a plus.
    If you can fit in the odd weekend ride, consider it a bonus and you won't be disappointed...
    left the forum March 2023
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Managed a 5 hour ride on the turbo today, my first 100 mile plus on the spinner this winter.
    Got me over the 20 hours for this week.

Only boring compared to riding outside but compared to working in an office, watching sh*t on TV, computer games, driving a car, surfing the net, not at all - try some Dinosaur Jr, Sisters Of Mercy (Temple of Love is amazing to cycle to), Jesus and the Mary Chain etc and you'll never be bored....

It's going to be wet and wonderfully 'warm' this weekend. ENJOY it while it lasts.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    vs wrote:
    Managed a 5 hour ride on the turbo today.

I managed to eat a nice samosa for lunch
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • 5hrs on a turbo?

as much as i love cycling and bikes.......fcuk that.

i have been swimming, gym,spin and walking/running

im missing the bike i to cannot find any motivation!
  • vs
    edited December 2010
    That's nothing really the WR is something like 11 days and the guy got off heavier than he started because he had to consume so many cals.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    vs wrote:
    Try it. It's totally cleansing.

Hi VS,

What sort of speed are you doing for that distance, I average in a 53/11 about 34mph and usually do 30-40 miles, so I should be able to do 100 miles in say 3 3/12 hours?

I fancy a go at this, just spinning in say a 53/15
  • vs
    I'm just doing level 2 stuff so ave about 22 - 25 miles an hour in a 53/17 or 19, something like that - no more than say 85% max HR.

I had a metabolic test recently and was burning mostly fat up to 92% of my max HR - so something is working out.
  • Velonutter
    vs wrote:
    I'm just doing level 2 stuff so ave about 22 - 25 miles an hour in a 53/17 or 19, something like that - no more than say 85% max HR.

I had a metabolic test recently and was burning mostly fat up to 92% of my max HR - so something is working out.

I'm going to give it a go then, how did you get around the numb nuts?
  • vs
    Get a bike fit; if the bike fits you can cycle all day - turbo, road, in the drops whatever...no numbness.

If you're getting numb your saddle may be too high.
  • Velonutter
    edited December 2010
    vs wrote:
    Get a bike fit; if the bike fits you can cycle all day - turbo, road, in the drops whatever...no numbness.

If you're getting numb your saddle may be too high.

Nah my bike fit is perfect as my turbo bike is a specific bike and never used on the road.

When you get around 50 the old men drop a little bit making it necessary to ease the pressure every so often, on the road this could be out of the saddle climbing a hill or sprinting out of the saddle or just standing for a few seconds.

You're probably a lot younger than me so it isn't a problem to you but after a 1 1/2 session I am quite keen to get some feeling back :roll:
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    240Wtraining.jpg

Quite simply. Close to Eddy's data point... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some good tips here from a certain Adrian Timmis. He's just started blogging recently, check all of them out for some good tips...;

http://cadencesport.blogspot.com/2010/11/snow.html
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Given that there has been 2 feet of snow where I live I reluctantly have resort to my spinning bike. I can only bear 3 sessions per week lasting only 1 hour each. Even with music on its all I can stomach to do and even then its a chore that I hate to do.

I am training for the marmotte next year so really should be upping the training but I lack the mental strength to be in my garage for hours on end. Did this last year and due to the extreme weather last year spent a good deal of the winter with this regime and it did not me any harm.

Kudos to people who can turbo for hours as I do not know how they can do it without getting bored. Anyway winter for me is spending the extra time that I get away from cycling with the family.
    Brian B.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Brian B wrote:
    Given that there has been 2 feet of snow where I live I reluctantly have resort to my spinning bike. I can only bear 3 sessions per week lasting only 1 hour each. Even with music on its all I can stomach to do and even then its a chore that I hate to do.

I am training for the marmotte next year so really should be upping the training but I lack the mental strength to be in my garage for hours on end. Did this last year and due to the extreme weather last year spent a good deal of the winter with this regime and it did not me any harm.

Kudos to people who can turbo for hours as I do not know how they can do it without getting bored. Anyway winter for me is spending the extra time that I get away from cycling with the family.

For an event over 6 months away, I think the worry you are displaying about training schedule is a little ott.
    Whilst the weather is inclement do the idc and write a proper 16 week plan to peak for July.
  • Chiggy
    My “big event” next summer is an Audax 400. OK, so a lot of folks have done one, but no me, yet.
    My training for it started two and a half years ago.

Bashing away on an ergometer through the winter reaps rewards. I rode three 300 Audaxes in two months and have ridden two 100 rides each month for a year and a half, along with a handful of 200s.

While bashing away on the gym bike during this snowy spell, all that was in my mind was the 24 hour ride next June. With each passing week, I’m more confident. I’m not one who leaves it to the last 16 weeks.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Chiggy wrote:
    My “big event” next summer is an Audax 400. OK, so a lot of folks have done one, but no me, yet.
    My training for it started two and a half years ago.

Bashing away on an ergometer through the winter reaps rewards. I rode three 300 Audaxes in two months and have ridden two 100 rides each month for a year and a half, along with a handful of 200s.

While bashing away on the gym bike during this snowy spell, all that was in my mind was the 24 hour ride next June. With each passing week, I’m more confident. I’m not one who leaves it to the last 16 weeks.
    I didnt really say leave it all to the last 16 weeks............
    however maybe 16 weeks was a bit all encompassing but perhaps you would also benefit from a quick read of
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/plan.htm
  • Velonutter
    Well I have just done 60 miles at an average of 27.2 mph on the turbo, all was fine up until about 45 miles, then I hit a wall at that speed, so dropped it a little for a couple of minutes and resumed, it was hard very very hard, can see myself sleeping tonight :shock: 8) :lol:
  • Chiggy
    Velonutter wrote:
    Well I have just done 60 miles at an average of 27.2 mph on the turbo, all was fine up until about 45 miles, then I hit a wall at that speed, so dropped it a little for a couple of minutes and resumed, it was hard very very hard, can see myself sleeping tonight :shock: 8) :lol:

Don't bank on it.... You'll still be on fire until well after midnight. :wink:

Sounds like you got an adrenaline hit.
    Did you get a HR drift?
  • Velonutter
    60.12 Miles in 02:12:31 hrs Average of 27.2mph Average heart beat 120bpm, Average Cadence 98rpm, I don't think that's too bad for a 51 year old 8)

Although I have regularly done 100 mile + rides, this was harder and was only 60!

I wanted to keep the ride between Zone 2 and Zone 3 and it seems fine and was evenly split.

Perhaps I ought to try and do this every weekend as I won't go out when it is too cold.
  • Chiggy
    Velonutter wrote:
    60.12 Miles in 02:12:31 hrs Average of 27.2mph Average heart beat 120bpm, Average Cadence 98rpm, I don't think that's too bad for a 51 year old 8)

Although I have regularly done 100 mile + rides, this was harder and was only 60!

I wanted to keep the ride between Zone 2 and Zone 3 and it seems fine and was evenly split.

Perhaps I ought to try and do this every weekend as I won't go out when it is too cold.

That was on 53 x 15.... :wink:

120 BPM? The rubber band must have fallen off.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Chiggy - I'm the 'fat bloater' that is now much fitter than you. I'll be waiting... 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Velonutter
    Chiggy wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

That was on 53 x 15.... :wink:

120 BPM? The rubber band must have fallen off.

I wish :lol:

I have a 25/11 on my turbo bike and have to admit I went up to the middle when I was getting tired, so that was probably a 17 or even a 19, but when I could I shoved it down.

At 51 I can get my max HR upto 171, but feel that I am pushing it above 160, my resting heart beat is 48, it used to be when I was younger 42 8)

Funny thing is that an hour after and my legs don't heart at all, I have been noticing that a lot lately, yet in the summer when I was doing upto 300 miles a week they always hurt :?
  • Chiggy
    25/11?? are you sure? Could it be 39 x 11?

If it is, think about taking the other three magnets out of your wheel. They are confusing your computer... :wink:

I'm 50 and my max HR is 179. My 'endurance' session is 45 minutes at 155 HR on a LifeFitness gym bike absorbing 240 Watts, or thereabouts.

My 'Hills' sessions are two minutes alternating between 150 W and 350 W. 40 minutes of these. HR goes to mid 170s. Cadence comes down to 60 rpm standing up on the pedals.

Legs feel like I've ridden a 200. Ache for a day or so; and then I get 'withdrawal' and head off back down to the gym.. :D
  • Velonutter
    Nice figures Chiggy, but when you think I was a bloater 18 months ago and now producing figures like I am, it can't be bad, still not what you would classify as a good cyclist :wink: but going the right way 8) : -

041210_session.jpg
  • Chiggy
    Was that trace a 'straight on the bke' with no warm-up?

There is a saying in cycling, "The first ten miles are the worse". They are the 'warmup' of the ride.
    From cold, the muscles might not take kindly to be moved faster than a natural jogging cadence, which is about 85 revs.

Tendons and ligaments need to warm up along with muscles. Stretching elongates but rapid movement of cold soft tissue might cause injury.

I never go barmy until I see the first drip of sweat. :)

Your HR is great. Any estimation of power output?
  • Velonutter
    Hi Chiggy,

To be truthful when I train normally on the turbo I hold about 33-34 mph, so I thought I would do this at my warm up speed and then hold it, take your point though about warming up at a slower speed, I normally always do on the road, but my home is warm, if I am doing a sufferfest video then I do warm up and down.

On the road I feel terribly for the first 9 miles which ties in with your comments about the first 10 miles.

Sweat starts at about 4 miles in.

I know at the end I never cooled down, but I kicked it in to the 11 and just went for it to get it bloody finished :shock: :lol:

I don't have a power meter, would love one but can't afford it :(

Cheers for your comments.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chiggy wrote:

He's talking about the cassette...
  • Velonutter
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Chiggy wrote:

He's talking about the cassette...

I know, I chose to ignore it...lol :lol: