How's this for a noob?

ductions
ductions Posts: 274
I've been cycling to try to get fitter (quit smoking early in the summer) and I try to do at least 10 miles a day, weather permitting. Today I finished uni early so I thought I'd ride to my old high school, a 22 mile round trip. At first I felt pretty tired, but I managed to pick up my pace. I got to the high school, had a swig of my drink and headed back.

It's not exactly a hilly journey, but there are a few tough sections which wore me out a bit (Desford dip, if anyone knows the area).

I think this is a sign that I am improving my fitness at last. I managed to get an average of 16mph on this 22 mile journey (I did feel like I was putting more effort in than usual), compared to my average speed of about 13mph on shorter journeys.

Anyway I just thought I'd share it!

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I have to admit that when I started cycling again a few years back, a ten mile ride seemed like a big deal (and it was)! Gradually the distances increased and the rides got harder.

These days a ride of under 30 miles is rare unless über hilly and rides of up to 100 miles are considered easy!

So keep it up and you'll be doing your first century (100 miles) in no time!
  • ductions
    ductions Posts: 274
    I think I gave the impression that this is the longest ride I've done, in which case I didn't mean to.
    My personal aim is to ride at least 10 miles a day. But I regularly ride longer journeys (albeit no more than 30 miles) when I can. This post I just wanted to show off my average mph, which I was incredibly pleased about.

May I ask whether you ride alone? If so how do you keep your motivation up? I've been listening to music in my left ear, which has helped keep me going, but otherwise, although I love cycling, my mind gets bored easily.
  • Pokerface
    ductions wrote:
    May I ask whether you ride alone? If so how do you keep your motivation up? I've been listening to music in my left ear, which has helped keep me going, but otherwise, although I love cycling, my mind gets bored easily.

I ride 6 days a week - so motivation is definitely an issue, especially at this time of year. I do all sorts of rides from solo training rides, to riding with a mate or girlfriend to riding with my club (both training and social club runs). But most of my riding is solo.

Music has always been my best motivator to keep going. But getting and staying fit, training for racing (both solo and for my country) and sometimes just enjoying a beautiful day are the things that get me out the door in the first place!

But yeah - it's hard to stay focussed and keep on going, especially hour after hour.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pokerface wrote:
    I have to admit that when I started cycling again a few years back, a ten mile ride seemed like a big deal (and it was)! Gradually the distances increased and the rides got harder.

These days a ride of under 30 miles is rare unless über hilly and rides of up to 100 miles are considered easy!

So keep it up and you'll be doing your first century (100 miles) in no time!

You really find 100 miles easy?
  • Pokerface
    freehub wrote:

You really find 100 miles easy?

Yes. But 101 is a real b!tch!

( also don't ride at 20MPH+ average like you do, so the slower pace makes it easier to deal with.)
  • 16mph is very good. I've been cycling for 11 months on and off and I do an 18 mile route with an average of about 12mph (albeit with 2000ft of ascent) and it takes me 1 hour 15min. 1 hour 10min on a good day. So your average is very good. (or maybe i'm just rubbish :roll: )

There are loads of threads on here about average mph and, to be honest, it isn't really something to get hung up on (lol; if I did I probably wouldn't be cycling :lol: ) because there are so many variables: Wind, road surface etc.
  • TC/MI
    TC/MI Posts: 2
    You most likely are making progress but don't get caught up in the MPH race. Think about what the ride is doing for you in relation to your physical goals. Plus don't ever forget the plain old enjoyment factor. Biking is just plain fun.

I remember 4 seasons ago when I rode 6 miles out to a bench on a local trail and was concerned about making it back home. This past biking season, I rode just under 3000 miles with 2 centuries and one 24 hour race (211 miles on my first endurance race). My normal long training rides are 40 to 80 miles. But all of this started with that 6 mile ride 4 years ago. The important ride in your progress is the next one. Just keep it up and you will not only amaze your friends but you will amaze yourself. I know I am constantly amazed at my own abilities at age 69.
  • TC/MI wrote:
    You most likely are making progress but don't get caught up in the MPH race. ....

Unfortunately, many analyse their average MPH like a religion without understanding it's all baloney. Someone living in a hilly or city area will have a low average, someone in Norfolk will have a high average because there's no hills. Someone cycling on a hot sunny day will compare that with a windy cold day! It makes no sense.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4