Italian early season training?

purbeck express
purbeck express Posts: 21
Hi

I'd like to do some pre-season training in Italy next Feb/March as a change to the usual Spanish resorts.

Can anybody recommend a good base or hotel in area with weather that would be OK at that time of year.

Thanks

Comments

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Hi Purbeck,

I have been to the Belvedere Hotel Riccione ten times in all but I wouldn't recommend a visit during Feb/Mar it's not warm enough, very similar to here at that time of the year. In fact I don't think they do any tours in February. May/Sept are the best months.
    Here is a great alternative...

The Algarve area normally has the best weather in Europe at this time of the year, the cheapest food/drink and fantastic climbs around the Monchique Mountains as well as the glorious west coast roads. On top of that you can hook up with the Ciclo Clube de Lagos and ride with up to thirty others. I did a special ride with the club in October with nearly seventy out following the club mini bus with two Police motorbike riders (GNR) keeping what little traffic there was away from the peleton.
    I shall be there again in February for the Tour of the Algarve (Volta ao Algarve) maybe without Contador this coming year! I shall be training taking in the Starts/Finishes of the stages.
    This coming year there will be another Luxury Villa available that will have three double bedrooms close to Villa do Sol plus many others available through our contacts at very low prices.
    Temperatures from Mid-Feb to End March would be highs of typically 18C to 28C cool at night (Atlantic Coast) but soon warms.
    Check out this website. Most pics taken in the winter months!…

http://burgauvilla.com/
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    We had a look at Italy last year for a similar period, and the far South or Sicily seemed probably the best bets weather wise - but in the end we decided on Gran Canaria; which was excellent. I'd be interested in any very early season training location tips in Italy too though..
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I thought Italian early season training was mainly core work, and involved many beautifal women, with wine the energy drink of choice.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson