how far would you upgrade a rockhopper?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I would probably go 185 on the front but there is nothing wrong with the J3 brakes. Keep them until they start to wear and then sell the whole set.

I would be tempted to put some bar ends on and maybe some flat bars if you want a good xc bike.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Thanks for the tips guys. Pedals and forks already done. Sounds like next upgrade will be wheels but I reckon I will only do that if I break the current ones.

I have tekro brakes... But they seem to be doing the job fine.

Cheers dub
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    popstar wrote:

And the ultimate upgrade would be a skills course with Jedi at www.ukbikeskills.co.uk. Amen.

thanks again for the recommendation.
  • dubcat
    Jedi. Sorry I didn't reply to your pm mate. I am going to book a session with you in the new year. Hope that's ok.
    Dub
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Jedi
    dubcat,
    of course it's ok :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    on my rockhopper i have upgraded:

truvativ firex chainset, xt/slx group. avid juicy 3 brakes, recon silver TK forks, easton seat post, i think that's it :lol:
  • dubcat
    Can I ask why you upgraded each of those components? Can you tell me if it was for performance or to replace a broken part for each of the items?
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Dubcat wrote:
    I thought xc was more bridleways and trails is more like surrey hills and afan etc... My bad

As Cooldad said the terminology gets too confusing. It is all marketing by the bike companies. I don't think there are any right or wrong answers but in my eyes XC/Trail are very similar. I consider everything from bridleways to technical single track as XC/Trail.

If you were to ride the"Trails" in Surrey Hill @ Swinley Forest, in a Gorrick race, does that change the classification to "XC", even though they would be "Trail" every other time you ride there?

From a bike companies marketing view, XC is probably a light 100mm travel HT. Trail is probably a 120-140mm Full Susser.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Have you considered using clipless pedals? Real opinion divider on here but I know a lot of people who have made the jump and immediately improved.

Don't you start - he already has clipless, I was trying to convince him to try flats. A bit more confidence inspiring on slippery muddy singletrack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dubcat wrote:
    You guys are too kind :). Thanks to you lot i had the best days riding and was made to feel very welcome! I spent all day at work thinking about how I am going to take that big roll in on Barry knows best without stopping next time... All i thought about all day is getting back out on my bike.

Legs are burning after two days of riding.. Which is a good thing :)

If it makes you feel better, it took me a few attempts. The route to the left seems slightly less steep.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Personally I try to stick to the "normal" way in. The whole run-in is now about a mile wide so perversely I think it's harder for beginners to get an idea on the right line into and out of it.

Anyway, it's about pushing your own limits, not chasing the rest of the group's limits because that's usually the best way to injure yourself. That was why it was nice seeing dubcat arrive at the bottom grinning having conquered a trail feature he wasn't comfortable with before.

Back on topic, might try clipless again this coming weekend. See how it works.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Atz wrote:
    Back on topic, might try clipless again this coming weekend. See how it works.

Excellent we need some laughs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Dubcat wrote:
    Can I ask why you upgraded each of those components? Can you tell me if it was for performance or to replace a broken part for each of the items?

i actually bought it second hand without most of the components. i up graded the forks because the ones on there were heavy and poo, the chainset because i had one lying around that was better and again lighter. brakes because it didn't have any!! :D and shifters and mechs because i wanted 9 speed and it was 8. (it didn't have shifters)

oh and it had no wheels so i bought a set of mavic 317 on deore hubs second hand for £30

p3pb4976673.jpg

p3pb5470881.jpg
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:

Have you considered using clipless pedals? Real opinion divider on here but I know a lot of people who have made the jump and immediately improved.

Some people preffer SPDs to Flats, and if it works for them why not. I will immidiately draw out my camera while Cooldad will stand on the edge folding his hands in a stylish way waiting for new rider attack techy feauture of the trail.

I believe SPD do give you a nice feeling on power transfer which is beneficial to road riding, but as a new rider while riding technical terrain think the least thing you need to do is to scare and gamble yourself of could you or should you unclip or maybe try to push it hard and ride it?!

... it is never ending argument of SPD vs Flats really, and even then it all depends on your style of riding.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • dubcat
    Rich, I took the main route on BKB... What a rush. I am sure it will become routine eventually so i am treasuring every oz of adrenaline it produces right now :). Believe it or not I rode that roll in my first time out on a bike in around 20 years lol. I followed pie man down it. Oh and to make it more fun... I was wearing spd, something i had never ever worn before in my life. Talk about a baptism by fire.

keV, buying second hand was a smart move. Thanks for the details on your upgrades.

Atz, do it man. You never have to think about unclipping in the way people say' not with my candy c at least. If you are scared enough your feet just kinda pop out lol.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • diy
    Dubcat, I was out with a mate on Sunday and we did, BKB, Yoghurt pots and telegraph, plus some randmore DH on the way (about 30miles round trip) If its any consolation my mate who is an experience XC whippet bulked at the BKB decent (his first time).. No amount of me shouting poof and calling him a girl would get him to do it.

He has this block where he slams on if he can't see the exit before he starts the drop. Pretty sensible IMO. Keep everything bent and loose and keep you head up so that you are looking at the climb back up not the DH.

With regard to upgrades I started out with a marin bobcat..
    I've changed full groupset, brakes, wheels, forks (twice) bars stem, post, seat, cables, shifters, grips frame and stem.

But curiously I don't have a bobcat left :?

I also ride SPDs, but I use multi release. I don't have any problem with them and can't imagine doing the sort of distance I do without them. Having said that plenty of people do long distance without SPDs. I just like the fact that I never need to think about feet position.
  • dubcat
    Diy excellent post mate. That thing about looking at the uphill bit.... I am going to do that next time. Sounds very sensible. It's what I do on my snowboard!
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I got a 2003 Rockhopper a couple of month ago.

Upgrades since@
    Rockshox Tora 90-130mm (s/h eBay £100) - from Manitou Axle
    SPD M540 (s/h BR £10) - from cheap alloyflats
    Clarks S2 brakes (CRC £80) - from Deore V brakes
    Superstar XC wheels (from my old bike)

I also have a 2010 Stumpjumer FSR carbon.

The Stumpy:
    Lighter weight
    Smoother ride
    Faster
    Better DH
    Better uphill

The Rockhopper:
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!

Of the 2 bikes, I keep taking the Rockhopper out
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • dubcat
    Fsr xc that is fascinating and really unexpected. What makes the rockhopper so fun?
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Dubcat wrote:
    Atz, do it man. You never have to think about unclipping in the way people say' not with my candy c at least. If you are scared enough your feet just kinda pop out lol.

I ride clipless on my hardtail most of the time. It's the speed difference between my HT and the FS which is making me think hard about it.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Ohhh don't you start talk about FS vs HT. Bad move.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • diy
    Dubcat wrote:
    Diy excellent post mate. That thing about looking at the uphill bit.... I am going to do that next time. Sounds very sensible. It's what I do on my snowboard!

From my martial arts days: Control the head, control the body
    From my motorbike instructor days: You go were you are looking so look, lean, roll,
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Dubcat wrote:
    Fsr xc that is fascinating and really unexpected. What makes the rockhopper so fun?
    I originally got it to ride into work, but I think the Rockhopper is more of a challenge to ride. I like challenges.

It being a bit of a cheap project bike too adds to the appeal of riding it. I like how much of an improvement the bike is over it's original spec too.

It's really just small things.

Don't get me wrong. Come the summer, I'll be rippin it up on the Stumpy. I reckon I'll be fitter, with better bike skills due to riding the Rockhopper over the winter.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Jedi
    if you like the frame upgrade it as bits wear out! why change?
  • Crundi
    Crundi Posts: 41
    rockhopper 08
  • Crundi
    Let me try that again....

I'm loving my Rockhopper 08, I've been upgrading for the past two years, replacing things as I brake em'. I'm running Hope Pro 2 hubs on ZTR Arch rims, Xt rear Mech and Cassette, Odi lock on grips and I've just ordered some Reba XX forks with 20mm screw thru axles.

A quick question...the Reba fork is set to 120mm (although I understand you can reduce them) anyone upgraded there forks to 120mm, does it affect the ride much?
  • I have a Rockhopper 09 and I brought the frame on it's own for £60

I bought the following outright (some choices I made were uneducated, maily the brakes)

SLX Crankset
    Auriga Comp Brakes
    Hope Pro 2 on ZTR Crest on Rear
    Hope Pro 2 on Mavic 717 Front
    Charge Spoon
    FSA Seatpost
    FSA Headset
    Race Face Deus Evolve Bars
    KCNC Stem
    XT Rear Mech
    SLX Front Mech
    High Rollers
    SLX Shifters
    SLX Cassette
    KCNC X9 Chain

Borrowed Tora Forks.

So as you can see, I still have some way to go. I do not own any forks (saving for Rebas) and may upgrade some stuff as it gets broken, but at the moment, pretty happy.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Crundi wrote:
    A quick question...the Reba fork is set to 120mm (although I understand you can reduce them) anyone upgraded there forks to 120mm, does it affect the ride much?

I have just done it a few days ago.

Swapped forks from my bikes.

Went from a 100mm Reba SL '08 to a 120mm Reba SL with 20mm axel.

I think RHs have a max 110mm - but I'm not bothered.

It does change the angles perhaps about 1 degree in headtube and seat.

Seat is easily compensated for in the angle but weight is a little further backwards now.

I've restacked my stem and moved it downwards about 10mm.

Even with these changes to compensate a little you can feel the differences, but I like it.

Not sure if you will be able to reduce travel as there are soo many versions out there - you can never really be sure unless you buy a U-turn fork if it's possible.

The 20mm lowers and front wheel do seem to flex less and hold their lines better.
  • Crundi
    Thanks for that Chunkers1980.
    I'm going to try a few rides at 120mm and see how it feels. I love me' Rockhopper and i've completed many a Black Run on her, from Scotland to Wales to the more local Surrey Hills its always served me well. The Rockhoppers a beauty.

For my next upgrade i was thinking shifters. Although there's nothing wrong with the Deore's a mate of mine has some new XT shifters he's looking to 'shift'. :lol: Do you get much improvement with shifters?
  • Rear yes. It depends what model deores - look for the M590 - it has release in both directions.

TBH the XTR is easily worth the money over XT for the rear.