OT: Shotguns.....

2»

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Except the AK-47 which will absolutely, positively kill ever muthatuka in the room.

Dunno just wanted to say cool things.

I probably wouldn't keep it in the house. I have a thing for Samurai swords, I own two. But I'd rather not keep them in the flat. Kids and that.

On guns, should I have them (kids) given the way guns can be glamorised (maybe not the same for you and yours) I'd prefer to keep them away from all that as much as possible.

wow, Samuel L Jackson uses DDD as their internet identity - who'da thunk it?
  • Gtv
    I have a 6 year old boy and i beleive that as he has been exposed to a real gun from a young age( younger than he is now) it is no real issue for him. If you teach them properly and allow them contact then it dose not become an some thing that is a secret that they want to play with.
    Also where are you for a £50 yearly renewal fee. mine is £50 for 5 years, is that not the same all over the country?
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    1993 Fender SRV Strat guitar - becomes house decorated

On this I would have drawn the line.

My 1962 strat was the compromise, allowed to keep that. Although the SRV was well beaten and had a "clapton" boost circuit fitted...great, versatile guitar

*weeps*

The guitar? Gently....?

Cheers,
    W.

:D
  • SimonAH wrote:
    I've also got a young daughter and I'd much rather she sees, respects and understands the real tool than joins the 'shoot 'em up ' virtual generation.

I agree with this. I Grew up with shotguns unsecured in the cupboard under the stairs but was always taught to think of them as a tool, not a plaything or anything glamorous. Now I have my own stored securely in the house with a daughter of 3 and a new born son. She already understands that it is my gun and has attended (under close supervision of Mum) a clay shoot to see exactly what Daddy gets up to on the occasional Sunday morning. I don't get to go that often at the moment, maybe half a dozen times this year but all the kit is there, bought and paid for whenever I want to go.

I agree with the dating years comment, Daughter has a Commando for a godfather and I shall be polishing the shotgun when any new boys come knocking! And mother in law was particularly impressed when I said there will be a .410 for daughters 7th Birthday :wink:
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I don't think kids need 'protecting' from firearms, but then a school near me when I was a lad had a shooting range in the loft!

Everyone I knew shot when I was younger. Teach your kids to shoot, great way to learn some responsibility.

Having said that, I jacked it in, but then I was Section 1 and they banned everything I owned!
    "Coming through..."
  • SimonAH wrote:
    I've also got a young daughter and I'd much rather she sees, respects and understands the real tool than joins the 'shoot 'em up ' virtual generation.

I agree with this. I Grew up with shotguns unsecured in the cupboard under the stairs but was always taught to think of them as a tool, not a plaything or anything glamorous. Now I have my own stored securely in the house with a daughter of 3 and a new born son. She already understands that it is my gun and has attended (under close supervision of Mum) a clay shoot to see exactly what Daddy gets up to on the occasional Sunday morning. I don't get to go that often at the moment, maybe half a dozen times this year but all the kit is there, bought and paid for whenever I want to go.

I agree with the dating years comment, Daughter has a Commando for a godfather and I shall be polishing the shotgun when any new boys come knocking! And mother in law was particularly impressed when I said there will be a .410 for daughters 7th Birthday :wink:

Hmmmm.

FWIW, we've always had guns about the place, we use them mostly to kill annoying birds. It's no bad thing to be a good shot.
  • SimonAH wrote:

Hmmmm.

FWIW, we've always had guns about the place, we use them mostly to kill annoying birds. It's no bad thing to be a good shot.

How come you let Harriet Harpeson through the net?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Hmmmm.

She didn't wake my mother up with her shrieking.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg66 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Hmmmm.

Founder members of the RSPB (Royal Society for the Prevention of Birds) then ?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    You get jail time for that!!

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/STUDENT+GETS+LIFE+FOR+GIRLFRIEND'S+MURDER.-a0114226704
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    What with it all kicking off in Korea, might be as well hanging onto it for now....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Greg66 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Hmmmm.

Actually my mother is a member. But we can do without the odd nutty partridge.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    .... But we can do without the odd nutty partridge.

Sound's yummy to me... Puts a whole new spin on the Game.

Cheers,
    W.
    [edit- apostrophe F'up..got it with the second barrel!]
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Not so long ago when fishing with a pal a pheasant started bothering us at lunch and being noisy. My friend picked up a stone and lobbed it in its general direction to scare it. His aim was a bit too accurate and the stone whacked into the pheasant's head and it collapsed - out cold. We thought it might be dead, but about ten minutes later the bird 'woke up' and stood up. It was a little unsteady on its feet and was wandering around in circles. It then proceeded to followed us around all day on the river bank and I am afraid it had become a little retarded. When we got up the next day and stepped out of the fishing lodge it was standing there waiting for us in the flower bed! :shock:

Very weird experience.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Sewinman wrote:
    ...a pheasant ...had become a little retarded. ....

Pheasants can't become retarded, they are brainless when they hatch...

Weird behavior, though...

Cheers,
    W.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Actually my mother is a member. But we can do without the odd nutty partridge.

That's no way to talk about yo' momma!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sewinman wrote:
    ...a pheasant ...had become a little retarded. ....

Pheasants can't become retarded, they are brainless when they hatch...

Weird behavior, though...

Cheers,
    W.
    *wistfully recalls reading Danny Champion of the World countless times as a child*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides