OT: Shotguns.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Yes, shotguns, about as far removed from cycling as space travel....

Should I renew my licence? I am a bit worried about having a gun in the house for several reasons (My gun and ammunition is currently stored at a secure club location):

1, My wife won't like it

2, I have kids, I don't particularly want them to see it. Yes, it will all be locked away very securely, as per the licence. But I just don't like the idea of them being exposed to a "real" gun.

3, I do enjoy clay shooting, but don't go in for killing stuff at all....not my bag.

With the costs involved:

New gun cabinet to BS standard (£100)
Ammunition £228 per 1000 cartridges
Around £50 per shoot all in
£50 per year licence fee.....
£10 per month storage costs at a club....

And I own a £1000 Baretta 32" barrel howitzer 12G.....Thats quite sellable.

Should I just sell the lot and wait until I am retired?

Comments

• Sc00bs
    Sc00bs Posts: 27
    Sounds like you're talking yourself out of it gtv. For the occasional clay shoot can you not borrow a gun?

I'd sell and wait til retirement, buy some laand so you can brandish it at MTBers while shouting the immortal "Get Orff Moii Laand!"
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    Albert Einstein
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would keep it. at home in the box and have the keys locked away from the kids.

also join a shoot. the taste of self shot game is great.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Ask Tony Martin.....

I wouldn't like the idea. Doesn't it make you nervous having it in the house esp with kids? You can't use it to defend yourself after all (see above). Well then again was he really defending himself.....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Mine hasn't been out in anger for probably a year and a half - but it's one of those things that once you have then it's not eating or drinking (bar the annual fee) and it's nice to have available for a last minute invitation.

I've also got a young daughter and I'd much rather she sees, respects and understands the real tool than joins the 'shoot 'em up ' virtual generation.

Locked up yes, but then so is my garage that contains things like power drills, a bandsaw, lathe, diamond blade cutters, chainsaw, axes etc etc that are probably more suited to casual dismemberment than a shotgun.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Sc00bs wrote:
    For the occasional clay shoot can you not borrow a gun?

Pop down the pub, sidle over to a dark corner... "Psst, know anyone who will lend me a shotgun?"

Ne-nar-ne-nar-ne-nar. You'd have Dennis Waterman and John Thaw calling you a slag before you knew where you were.

So in ten months the cabinet covers the costs of storage at the club, right? Otherwise the costs are the same. So (assuming you like shooting, and having done clays, I can see why) the question is how long after month 10 are you prepared to waste a tenner a month to keep the shooter out of sight?

A tenner a month seems pretty reasonable to me as an additional premium to carry on doing something I like. I mean, the price of some websites per month, let me tell you... Or not.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sell the lot and buy a Nintendo Wii instead
  • gtvlusso
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sc00bs wrote:
    For the occasional clay shoot can you not borrow a gun?

Pop down the pub, sidle over to a dark corner... "Psst, know anyone who will lend me a shotgun?"

Ne-nar-ne-nar-ne-nar. You'd have Dennis Waterman and John Thaw calling you a slag before you knew where you were.

So in ten months the cabinet covers the costs of storage at the club, right? Otherwise the costs are the same. So (assuming you like shooting, and having done clays, I can see why) the question is how long after month 10 are you prepared to waste a tenner a month to keep the shooter out of sight?

A tenner a month seems pretty reasonable to me as an additional premium to carry on doing something I like. I mean, the price of some websites per month, let me tell you... Or not.

LOL - you are "technically" correct - however, there may be political implications with my wife.....

Me, going off for a few hours to go and shoot flying earthenware probably won't appeal to her sense of fairness either....
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    edited November 2010
    SimonAH wrote:

I've also got a young daughter and I'd much rather she sees, respects and understands the real tool than joins the 'shoot 'em up ' virtual generation.

This. It's good for kids to know about guns and - more importantly - learn how to respect them and use them safely.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    2, I have kids, I don't particularly want them to see it. Yes, it will all be locked away very securely, as per the licence. But I just don't like the idea of them being exposed to a "real" gun.

whereas I can be sat on a train on a Friday evening, quietly reading Tour magazine when a whole company of soldiers get on, drinking a few beers on their way home from their obligatory military training. M-16 rifles get slung onto the overhead luggage racks and no-one bats an eyelid.

Being exposed to real guns won't turn your kids in to gun toting, hoody wearing gang members.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Except the AK-47 which will absolutely, positively kill ever muthatuka in the room.

Dunno just wanted to say cool things.

I probably wouldn't keep it in the house. I have a thing for Samurai swords, I own two. But I'd rather not keep them in the flat. Kids and that.

On guns, should I have them (kids) given the way guns can be glamorised (maybe not the same for you and yours) I'd prefer to keep them away from all that as much as possible.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

This. It's good for kids to know about guns and - more importantly - learn how to respect them and use them safely.

Also, her knowing that you have one when she comes of age could be very handy.
  • gtvlusso
    schweiz wrote:

whereas I can be sat on a train on a Friday evening, quietly reading Tour magazine when a whole company of soldiers get on, drinking a few beers on their way home from their obligatory military training. M-16 rifles get slung onto the overhead luggage racks and no-one bats an eyelid.

Being exposed to real guns won't turn your kids in to gun toting, hoody wearing gang members.

Urm - assuming these are 1970's US soldiers, I think the M-16 has been out of use for a while now, since Vietnam. Think they use the A2 7.62 rifle..... British troops get the SA-80 - can be found in most good toy shops. Very surprised to hear of a rifle off base and being carried on public transport.
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Except the AK-47 which will absolutely, positively kill ever muthatuka in the room.

Dunno just wanted to say cool things.

I probably wouldn't keep it in the house. I have a thing for Samurai swords, I own two. But I'd rather not keep them in the flat. Kids and that.

On guns, should I have them (kids) given the way guns can be glamorised (maybe not the same for you and yours) I'd prefer to keep them away from all that as much as possible.

+1

Hence my thoughts on giving up.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    gtvlusso wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Urm - assuming these are 1970's US soldiers, I think the M-16 has been out of use for a while now, since Vietnam. Think they use the A2 7.62 rifle..... British troops get the SA-80 - can be found in most good toy shops. Very surprised to hear of a rifle off base and being carried on public transport.

Ok, it's actually one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_550 and every Swiss male over 18 has one at home along with a magazine and 20 rounds of ammunition! They take them home from training with them and carry them on their backs through the village on the way to the village rifle range for their 'Obligatory Shooting'. Yes there have been a couple of incidents where people have used their rifles to do themselves or others harm but given the number of weapons around, it's hardly a gang ridden ghetto here.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I've got one over in Ireland that is securely locked/hidden away - hasn't been fired in 10 years but its always there for if I was invited to a clay pigeon say. Costs me 6 Euro a year, so hardly expensive.

Never know, might buy a clay thingy & go down the beach one day :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    gtvlusso wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

On a train in Switzerland a few months ago and the soldier in the seat opposite me is fast asleep with his carbine on the floor slithering between us with the motion of the train! Had to pick it up for him and prop it up beside him on the seat!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gtvlusso wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Username Schweiz, Location: Switzerland... Highest rate of gun ownership in Europe, at least.. I would guess that M-16s are standard issue...

Cheers,
    W.
  • gtvlusso
    schweiz wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Ok, it's actually one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_550 and every Swiss male over 18 has one at home along with a magazine and 20 rounds of ammunition! They take them home from training with them and carry them on their backs through the village on the way to the village rifle range for their 'Obligatory Shooting'. Yes there have been a couple of incidents where people have used their rifles to do themselves or others harm but given the number of weapons around, it's hardly a gang ridden ghetto here.

Jeez - remind never to "annoy" anyone in Switzerland!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a 26" Beretta o/u which I seldom use now. When I lived in Aberdeen a bunch of us used to shoot clays once or twice a week. I'll renew the licence as I may want to get back into it when I'm older and I suspect it's much easier to renew every five years than get a brand new one from scratch in X years time, especially as I'll bet it'll be harder and more complex to get one by then.

I've never actually shot anything live but if I was going to eat it that'd be fine. I love rabbit and haven't had any for years, must bag a few sometime.

Your wife and kits won't see it, put the case in a cupboard. When the kids are older it wouldn't hurt to teach them how to shoot and handle a gun safely. They might enjoy it just as much as you do. There are far more firearms in legal circulation than most people would ever dream of.

Plus the wife says it'll be handy if the zombies ever rise.........
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sell the lot and persuade Mrs gtv that giving up your hobby warrents the purchase of a new bike on the N+1 principle
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Also, her knowing that you have one when she comes of age could be very handy.

:lol:
  • gtvlusso
    Sell the lot and persuade Mrs gtv that giving up your hobby warrents the purchase of a new bike on the N+1 principle

Epic fail for me on this one:

Ducati 998 SPS - becomes kitchen
    Cervelo P3 - becomes Laundry room
    1993 Fender SRV Strat guitar - becomes house decorated
    Fender custom shop Prosonic guitar amps x 7 (yes seven!) - becomes holiday and new car
    On One Scandal MTB - became nursery fees

I needed a clearout as I did have allot of "toys"......However, I am happy to consolidate on Cycling and shooting stuff (and smoking expensive cigars).

lets face it - at 35, I ain't made the rock and roll career and I have kids, so motorcycling is out for a while!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Keep it. The moment you sell then you take the depreciation hit so why not spend the cash on a cabinet.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    gtvlusso wrote:

Epic fail for me on this one:

Ducati 998 SPS - becomes kitchen
    Cervelo P3 - becomes Laundry room
    Fender custom shop Prosonic guitar amps x 7 (yes seven!) - becomes holiday and new car
    On One Scandal MTB - became nursery fees

I needed a clearout as I did have allot of "toys"......However, I am happy to consolidate on Cycling and shooting stuff (and smoking expensive cigars).

lets face it - at 35, I ain't made the rock and roll career and I have kids, so motorcycling is out for a while!

Careful, she'll make you sell your balls next.
  • I thought if there was one person who didn't want the gun in the house, the police won't give you a storage licence...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:

On this I would have drawn the line.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

My 1962 strat was the compromise, allowed to keep that. Although the SRV was well beaten and had a "clapton" boost circuit fitted...great, versatile guitar

*weeps*
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

My 1962 strat was the compromise, allowed to keep that. Although the SRV was well beaten and had a "clapton" boost circuit fitted...great, versatile guitar

*weeps*

The guitar? Gently....?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    this may not be the best time to mention that my wife bought me a 1967 fender jaguar as a surprise present...
  • gtvlusso
    Alphabet wrote:
    this may not be the best time to mention that my wife bought me a 1967 fender jaguar as a surprise present...

:cry: