The obligotory yearly mud gaurd heated debate thread...

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I really didn't enjoy cleaning the mud spray off the rear of my coat and the bag was a right mess - i left it to dry for some brushing off action later in the week. My ass was wet and seat resembled something a pig would sleep in.

Its that time of year where the mudguard is coming out and i'm going to purchase one of those neoprene front fork splash gaurd thingys.

I hate the look of the rear mudgaurd its looks queer as hell, but i love the dry comfort and reduction in cleaning time.

The main crux for me though is I couldn't care less what anyone on the trail thinks of my attire etc so yearly the mudgaurd makes an appearance. :lol:

Comments

• dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I love my relatively dry ass and keeping my saddlebag/backpack at least somewhat mud free too much to remove my very stupid dropping rear mudguard. Having said that my entire attire screams out mid life crisis beginner so I am not the best to give advice.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • First of all for your face the mucky nutz bender fender is a good option. It keeps the muck out of your eyes and off the fork stanchions. The cycraguard twin pack won the mudguard test in WMB and they're whats I'm definitely getting.
  • capoz77
    Oooooooooooh was just about to hit buy on this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24478

let me take a look at this mucky nutz.... brb
  • dubcat
    I'm using muckŷ nutz and crud catcher for front. It was my lame attempt to look less noobish. I have to be honest, the bike looks quite cluttered with both. Not sure which to remove if any.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • capoz77
    oooooooooh bender fender 2 now in the baskets! looks far better than the RRP product!

now to decide if rear mud gaurd technology has moved on at all and check out this cycra guard thingy
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Just bought this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-classic-mtb-mudguard-set/

Mainly for the front one as the rear won't fit my bike, so if anyone wants it you can have it for the cost of postage.

Trails up here are filthy at this time of year and as I end up cycling in the dark most of the time I don't care how the bike looks!

Off for a pedal, in the dark and it's snowing a wee bit. I must be mad........
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    The new Mucky Nutz is awesome. Didn't get one bit of mud on my face last time I was out.
  • capoz77
    bought the bender fender 2.0 in black.

best bang for buck down tube mud gaurd anyone?
  • Mucky Nutz here too.

Simple piece of kit that actually works. Keeps the mud off your face, and fthe orks stanchions clean too!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • dubcat
    Do you nutz users use a crud catcher too?
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • I use a front mudguard too because the bender fender is only supposed to stop the muck getting in your eyes. The front mudguard tends to stop the mud getting on your legs and body and generally keep the bike cleaner.
  • No, I just use a Mucky Nutz. The new ones are are a little bit longer too!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • neo guard did its job for me today :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mudguards are ugly and annoying, but not as annoying as trenchcock. I like the bender fender but it's not really up to the task of proper winter riding, better than nothing though but no substitute for a shockboard or similiar

I finally managed to get my rear crudcatcher working well enough for my taste, and all it needed was a soldering iron and a lathe. But now it's really good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    Crud catcher for front, but then I like the look of it (white version on white frame going to black forks so matches a treat) so it's on all year round as a sheep shit deflector!
    Rear it's a crud guard, however it looks stupid, but it save on washing all my kit after a quick drop onto the canal towpath on the way home. Unfortunatly, the crudguard has the normal 'spinny metal bolt' problem in it so it's pretty flacid. Looks stupid, works well. I'll take the stupid looks thanks.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i rued not having my rear crudcatcher on yesterday...

front crudguard did its job...
    glasses caught the stuff bound for my eyes (might need to invest in something for the front)...

rear will be fitted before wednesday nght.

sod how it looks....the sooner we realise that we don't look 'cool' anyway, means the sooner we can stop worrying about if a mudguard makes it look less cool...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    loving the use of the work 'trenchcock'.
    its the gritty ar5e feeling i hate without a mudguard, plus it wears out your shorts.
    i use one of those really crummy looking sks ones with a orange strap to attach, comes on and off in an instant, and if you have the band really really tight they stay straight (just about..)
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I have 2 sets of grey and white Cycraguards, + Neoguard for both bikes. The fit of Cycraguard is so good that while riding aggresively you just forget about it, no need to fiddle and reposition them. To hop them on and off is a doodle too. I think mudguards for winter riding is the future.

You only can be stylish in summer, those hot days make me wear Gucci's and the likes to look cool.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Mucky Nutz Bender Fender 2.0 and Crudcatcher on front, works amazingly well even through big deep puddles. Doesn't look too bad.
    SKS Xtra Dry Rear Mudguard, works okay and looks less crap than most rear guards.
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • dubcat
    Bluemoon39 wrote:
    Mucky Nutz Bender Fender 2.0 and Crudcatcher on front, works amazingly well even through big deep puddles. Doesn't look too bad.

Glad I'm not the only one doing his. It does look cluttered though doesn't it.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Who cares, stick mudguards on if you want too, don't if you don't. There, that was easy!

Personally I tend to use a cut up innertube in the forks gap (instead of the neoprene one) as it costs next to nothing and keeps mud out of my eyes.

Find that rear mudguards are useless on an FS as the back wheel tends to hit it unless it's stupidly high but might run them this year on the HT.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I use a bender fender 2.0 up front, does a great job of keeping your face clean. Ive just purchsed a crud catcher for upfront too however not used it yet.

For rear Im using a crud catcher which keeps me absolutley spotless.

Im not boshed how naff people think mudgaurds look, each to their own I say. mine are mostly used for my commute to work which is off road, in this situation its best to keep as clean & dry as possible and mudgaurds do this.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Steve_F wrote:
    Who cares, stick mudguards on if you want too, don't if you don't. There, that was easy!

Personally I tend to use a cut up innertube in the forks gap (instead of the neoprene one) as it costs next to nothing and keeps mud out of my eyes.

Find that rear mudguards are useless on an FS as the back wheel tends to hit it unless it's stupidly high but might run them this year on the HT.

/\ This /\

I use a Neo guard and it stays on pretty much all year as it was great for the ramdom down-poors. A rear would need to sit at the top of my Joplin which would make the post somewhat more useless than it already is. I've never run rears except on my dufunct commuter but only because I can't be bothered nothing to do with image. I also use watproof shorts that keep most of the wetness off my crack -ooerr.
  • Northwind
    I've been fannying around trying to mount something onto the seat-stays of my full suss, no success yet but something like a massive Bender Fender seems like it would be easy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I used the bender fender 1.0 with a crud racepack all last year, I've just changed the 1.0 for a 2.0 and the awesomeness continues for winter 2010.

I'm not sure I understand the comment above about a rear guard having to be run at the top of the Joplin :? . I run mine where you'd expect it to be, on the post, below the moving part. It also helps to keep the Joplin nice and clean which should help it last a bit longer.
  • I used to always think mudguards were for softies then I started commuting, got a set of front and back crud catchers for my commuter and was so impressed I got a set for my mtb, and yes being white to match my white frame helped me cope with the loss of style, also the fact my Genesis has braze ons for front crud catcher helps it look neat. Next up I'm getting one of these neoprene fork sheet thingies as all I'm getting now is the spray off my front wheel that I'm riding into.

I'm a total convert- my Mrs was in a right state on Sunday, can't say I was clean but I was dry where it hurts when you are wet and cold for 4 hours and I didn't have a mouth full of mud.[/img]
    Road: Scott Expert
    Mountain: Genesis Altitude 10
    Commuter: once was 1996 Specialized Rock Hopper A1
  • Rear mud guard best on a hard tail not so good on a Full Sus.
    Best for long rides and enduro events. esp 24hr stuff.

Do I have one at the moment-- No!

Fell of in one of the 7 Stanes Centres last summer never put it back again.
    Its in the shed.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Am I strange for liking getting covered in mud hence the non mudguard thing?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • My AM bike doesn't facilitate a rear mudguard, and I don't run one up front either, but the Muckynutz does seem like a good option. I'm not impartial to getting soaked in mud, it comes with the sport IMO. Either way, a bike always warrants a good cleaning after a day in the wet.
  • Northwind
    Am I strange for liking getting covered in mud hence the non mudguard thing?

I don't mind mud when it's not in my eyes, or on my camera lens, or freezing cold and spraying everywhere 1 minute into a 5 hour sub zero ride.
    Uncompromising extremist