Current targets?

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Been lousy at going to the gym lately, using the recent off to be lax on weights (ow ow, core hurts eh). Decided I'm better when I have a goal. So I signed up for the London Triathlon 2011 in July. Then housemate figured as I'd be running a bit anyway why join him on a half marathon in March. So signed up for that too.
Hatbeard, I have a feeling I may have to join you at the Greenwich Tritons shortly as I've not cycled more than 60k before, not run more than 10k and must remember how to swim.

No mince pies for me this Christmas (or plenty, I might need the energy).

Any silly targets anyone else has set themselves?
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Beating Bradley Wiggins, Geraint Thomas or Ben Swift
  • Tonight: catching and passing anybody at all e.g. toddler on trike, I'll basically be happy with anything
    Longer-term: a winter sportive
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    LEJOG in 9 days in May
    Etape Du Tour Acte I July
  • Will be signing up for the Hell of the Ashdown 100K in February, that will be the first event that I will be aiming at. Will also be looking to get as close to the hour as I can for a 25TT, I won't break it but that will be my stretch objective.

I'm not running a marathon is 2011 (as of yet) but am looking at taking part in a 12hr event, basically seeing how far you can run in the given time.

Kayaking, well I have my BCU2 in April, and I guess I will be looking to do as much as possible as well as looking to travel further afield to do it, I want to do some sea work as well.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    About 6 mince pies a day.

*re-reads thread title more carefully* Oh!

La Marmotte, the return: this time it's less crampy
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I'm going to loose weight, once and for all.

Lost a couple of stone a few years ago, and crept up 1/2 a stone. Now I want to finish the job.

I came to the conclusion that I want to loose around 15kg or between 2-3 stone to get to a healthy weight. So now I'm on a mission.

Turns out I've just been eating too much....Now there is a surprise! :shock:

:D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    dhope wrote:
    Been lousy at going to the gym lately, using the recent off to be lax on weights (ow ow, core hurts eh). Decided I'm better when I have a goal. So I signed up for the London Triathlon 2011 in July. Then housemate figured as I'd be running a bit anyway why join him on a half marathon in March. So signed up for that too.
    Hatbeard, I have a feeling I may have to join you at the Greenwich Tritons shortly as I've not cycled more than 60k before, not run more than 10k and must remember how to swim.

The tritons are doing early (8.30am)sunday cross country/trail runs over winter as well now. the pace is pretty fast and the distance is about 16k but I think a small faction are splitting and will be running at slower (10:00mile) pace over the same distance if you want to get some long runs in.

we've got a 5k time trial tomorrow night at 7.25pm by the blackheath tea hut (top of blackheath hill nearish to the park gates) followed by drinks in the spanish galleon after. you're welcome to come along if you fancy it.

as for my goals...

half-marathon in Feb.

sprint tri in may (poss)

maybe full tri by end of 2011 season.

I weighed in at 14st 4lb yesterday so I'm going to try and drop 2lbs a week and hit 14st by start of december and then put a dent in the 13st bracket to give me a buffer for xmas.
    Hat + Beard
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    8000 miles this year... next year ignore stats and just concentrate on how fast I can do each ride.

top 20 in the Brompton World Championships
    ride the london brompton race too (I forget the name)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    dhope wrote:
    Any silly targets anyone else has set themselves?

Spend less time on here...

Yeah, right. I have more chance of ageing in reverse.

Short term target: I'll be in Belgium weekend after next; must get up Koppenberg without walking.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    dhope wrote:
    No mince pies for me this Christmas (or plenty, I might need the energy).

Bollox. To that.

I can't give them those up. No way.

La Marmotte, but hopefully a bit quicker, with hopefully a sub-hour climb of ADH a couple of days beforehand.

And maybe the Het Volk or Flanders (again).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Targets, schmargets! Look where an obsession with targets got the last government.

Managed about three or four non-commuting rides this year so sportives, much less European sportives are unlikely to feature any time soon. Having said that, I'd settle for a few top rank SCR scalps. Might draw up a wall chart: got, got, need, ... :twisted:

Ooh, and maybe a decent time for College Road. And riding Sucomb's Hill on 42x23.

Small things but satisfying none the less
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Also need to meet (and scalp) someone from the forums on my commute, there do seem to be plenty but never actually identified one.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sub 1hr15 for the Dorney Half Olympic Tri, sub 2hrs50 for the Windsor Olympic Tri, make it round the Dragon Ride, possibly complete a half distance tri.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • 10km under 60mins by the end of February 2011 (thought I should clarify the year otherwise...!)

I have all the excuses why it's hard but I'm showing pretty decent determination so far in my training programme. and making it public helps to keep me motivated to do it!! basically after various tests I found out my lumbar vertebrae are degenerating - causing hip/back pain -that put me off running about 2 years ago...then as I was getting to the point where I was considering starting again and seeing how it went I tore my meniscus skiing in Feb. so, have only been running for about 2-3 months now, and I'm taking it real easy. have managed 5km in about 30 mins so am on target :) a small achievement compared to triathlons and the likes but its my target :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    To get injury free and back on the bike :(
  • hatbeard
    dhope wrote:
    Also need to meet (and scalp) someone from the forums on my commute, there do seem to be plenty but never actually identified one.

*makes mental note to not hit creek road until at least 7.15am*
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard
    10km under 60mins by the end of February 2011 (thought I should clarify the year otherwise...!)

I have all the excuses why it's hard but I'm showing pretty decent determination so far in my training programme. and making it public helps to keep me motivated to do it!! basically after various tests I found out my lumbar vertebrae are degenerating - causing hip/back pain -that put me off running about 2 years ago...then as I was getting to the point where I was considering starting again and seeing how it went I tore my meniscus skiing in Feb. so, have only been running for about 2-3 months now, and I'm taking it real easy. have managed 5km in about 30 mins so am on target :) a small achievement compared to triathlons and the likes but its my target :)

you and tim should come tomorrow night for the 5k. i notice he's been slacking off the running too lately. tell him he's been missing out on lots of lovely hill sprint training :s. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    God, I'm so unoriginal. HotA, Marmotte, a half marathon, maybe a triathlon, possibly Het Volk, beating Brad / G / Swift - they've all already been mentioned! Plus the usual - sub 50 minutes RP challenge, sub 6 minutes Box Hill, and sub 2:30 up College Road? I reckon its doable, if I can get my form back, and if I end up training for the Marmotte...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    8000 miles this year... next year ignore stats and just concentrate on how fast I can do each ride.

top 20 in the Brompton World Championships
    ride the london brompton race too (I forget the name)

Smithfield Nocturne (open to all makes). Missed this year's, hopefully I'll be back next time. I failed dismally to qualify for the finals both times I've done it, but it was a real giggle.

Mine:
    LeJOG 8-dayer in May/June (one of my fellow Pedal to Paris riders is putting it together, again in aid of the British Legion).
    Pedal to Paris (again)
    Dun Run
    7k for the year.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • nothing out of the ordinary for me. Lost 3 stone so far this year so would like to think I can do the same again which would put me pretty much the lightest I've ever been since I was 'fully grown'. I'd still be 18st mind :lol:

On top of that 2500miles I think is a reasonable target for the year considering my commute is only a 7mile round trip and I only ride when i'm down at work 3 or 4 days a week
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I should hit my target of 3500 commuting miles for the year next week. I'd like to aim for more next year, but realisitically I've ridden in every day that I possibly could this year.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    you and tim should come tomorrow night for the 5k. i notice he's been slacking off the running too lately. tell him he's been missing out on lots of lovely hill sprint training :s. :lol:

I do believe my other half will be there tonight.....I'm battling with sore shins and ran a pathetic distance last night. no way I'm running tonight....but aren't they at the end of each month? I could come along to the next one perhaps?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard wrote:

I do believe my other half will be there tonight.....I'm battling with sore shins and ran a pathetic distance last night. no way I'm running tonight....but aren't they at the end of each month? I could come along to the next one perhaps?

It's the triton's AGM next week so the run got moved forward a week as we'll be too busy arguing who should have to look after the club finances, chairman etc (you can have 2 guesses who's been press-ganged into doing the website :roll: )
    Hat + Beard
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Goals for winter:
    3 laps of Richmond Park in under 60 minutes.
    Get my running distance back up to 10k once a week (not worn my Asics since spring :oops:).
  • hatbeard wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

It's the triton's AGM next week so the run got moved forward a week as we'll be too busy arguing who should have to look after the club finances, chairman etc (you can have 2 guesses who's been press-ganged into doing the website :roll: )

ooooo you do websites, might need to talk to you about that :lol::lol:
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Im waiting to see if I get a place for the London Marathon 2011 next year through work. I have entered the 2011 London triathalon olympic distance, I've also entered the dartmoor classic sportive. If I enjoy the triathalon then a half iron man followed by a full iron man will be on my list though they will likely be in 2012.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    notsoblue wrote:
    Goals for winter:
    3 laps of Richmond Park in under 60 minutes.
    Get my running distance back up to 10k once a week (not worn my Asics since spring :oops:).

Very do-able. I would have thought you should be aiming for sub-56 mins.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    to get myself down to herne hill velodrome on a regular basis.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well I'm getting hitched next year so can't really make any grand plans or commit to the sort of training regime required by a Euro Sportive, but a jaunt out to the Pyrenees/Alps in September is firmly on the list.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    1) Get back into running (ran the London Marathon in 5:28 in 2007, but done nothing since!), and then hopefully post a sub-4:30 London Marathon time in April.
    Follow on from that: Continue long(ish) weekly runs up throughout the year (unlike last time)

2) Get a bit more 'competitive' with my cycle commuting. Notice that I've eased off on the way to and from work as the months have gone on. Next year is balls out every 'in' journey for sure, maybe the way back too...

3) I was around 80kg in January and then have it creep up to 87-88kg (I blame settling down!), get back down below that mark again. 175lb would be a 'nice' figure, so 79.5kg is the target - the sooner the better for that one!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)